Rear end is hot to the touch

Jeramy25x

Hello I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler I have 33s on the Jeep my rear end is getting very hot like to hot to touch there no brakes that are sticking it has 4:10s for gears is this normal? Or is there something I can add to cool it off? The dif fluid is full

275EBCB3-72EF-4290-86A6-9578711232EA.jpeg

You need a cheap infra red thermometer, they are easy to find.

You will see a range from 125 degrees to 160/70 (tow vehicles) common if you google it, to give you some type of reference point.

Reactions: D M
You need a cheap infra red thermometer, they are easy to find.

You will see a range from 125 degrees to 160/70 (tow vehicles) common if you google it, to give you some type of reference point.
I feel like it’s running way to hot the heat goes from rim to rim and the differential is also hot

I feel like it’s running way to hot the heat goes from rim to rim and the differential is also hot
It may be, and if you are that concerned drive another vehicle til you sort it out. The issue, the 4:10 gears and the fact it is not a Rubicon tell me its been regeared possibly and lead me to think the gears are set up wrong.

If it isn’t howling or growling you may be able to save it.

@Robb5589 is an experienced gear guy, if he chimes in it may provide some insight.

Reactions: D M
Do you have objective numbers or just feel this way? What makes you think you’re above what things should be? Is it always or just under some usages (fine on road, hot off, etc).

It may be, and if you are that concerned drive another vehicle til you sort it out. The issue, the 4:10 gears and the fact it is not a Rubicon tell me its been regeared possibly and lead me to think the gears are set up wrong.

If it isn’t howling or growling you may be able to save it.

@Robb5589 is an experienced gear guy, if he chimes in it may provide some insight.
I swapped axles out for the 4:10 gears and also convert the drums to disc brakes there no noise or growling I swapped out because guy before me was trying to get 1998 Cherokee axles to work

A IR temp gun is going to be your friend in finding the source.

Unless he's racing it (which he's not), diff temps on road will be higher than off road.
X2, thats what I’m saying in post 3. We need a known.

I swapped axles out for the 4:10 gears and also convert the drums to disc brakes there no noise or growling I swapped out because guy before me was trying to get 1998 Cherokee axles to work
Full axle swap (housing and all)? New gears not broken in yet? How are the bearings?

Because my front axles don’t get hot at all
They aren’t pulling, they are just being pushed.

Diffs get pretty hot, but if you measure you temps and post them , some of us will too and we can get away from conjecture and into the realm of comparison based on comparable vehicles.

Reactions: Tob and MangoTango
Also other thought, is the ebrake hanging up? That would drive good heat. Like @toximus said, if you use an IR gauge you can narrow into where in the axle is the hottest. That narrows it down pretty well.

Reactions: JMT
Your axle wouldn't be getting that hot as you're describing without something noticeably wrong....as in audible growling/groaning...e-brake hanging up which will result in lack of drifting fore and aft...

I'm curious about something...
Most people without any other signs don't think....
"hello self...jeep is running good...I think I will have a feel around my rear axle just for fun today."
How and or what made you go get all touchy feely with the rear axle to begin with?

Your axle wouldn't be getting that hot as you're describing without something noticeably wrong....as in audible growling/groaning...e-brake hanging up which will result in lack of drifting fore and aft...

"hello self...jeep is running good...I think I will have a feel around my rear axle just for fun today."
How and or what made you go get all touchy feely with the rear axle to begin with?
Well said...I think I misunderstood the thread title....I thought it said need help. But I think it meant I’ve got a problem but I want to argue with any advice that you guys gave me and not tell you everything.

Reactions: Rubicon88

How and or what made you go get all touchy feely with the rear axle to begin with?...
Very insightful....I can’t even find my rear end with both hands.