Rear end is hot to the touch

I just did a gear break in recently, where they were set up on the tight end of the spec. The diff was hot to the touch, like hot enough I didn't want to hold my hand on it but its subjective what actually makes something hot. Get a temp reading and post it up, some of these guys on here are savants and will tell you right off the bat if your gears are too hot.

You could also pull the diff cover and check the back lash. Maybe the guy you bought this from set his gears up incorrectly or he could have done a comp setup with little to no backlash at all which would be bad news for highway use.

Even a properly set up rear axle will be hot enough on its pumpkin or diff cover that you can't hold your hand on it for more couple seconds.

My gears are properly set up and I’m a state away weather/temp wise and as Jerry said, the diff will get fairly hot after a trip on the highway. Without exact temps we can only guess what’s normal and wants not. Starting with the easiest first- you say the diff fluid is full - what’s full? Full as in I added 2 qts but have a massive aftermarket diff cover so it’s below the axle tubes? Or full like I added until it blew out the breather? Also what oil? The type can also make a difference but I doubt to the degree you’re experiencing.

Your axle wouldn't be getting that hot as you're describing without something noticeably wrong....as in audible growling/groaning...e-brake hanging up which will result in lack of drifting fore and aft...

I'm curious about something...
Most people without any other signs don't think....
"hello self...jeep is running good...I think I will have a feel around my rear axle just for fun today."
How and or what made you go get all touchy feely with the rear axle to begin w
Honestly I walked by the rim and felt a lot of heat soo I touched it and it was very hot so I went under and touch the dif cover was also very hot I thought the ebrake s where hanging but there not

• Wow
Reactions: rasband
Well said...I think I misunderstood the thread title....I thought it said need help. But I think it meant I’ve got a problem but I want to argue with any advice that you guys gave me and not tell you everything.
Hey bud I said in my post what was the problem I also told you everything please move on if you got nothing nice to say thank you.

My gears are properly set up and I’m a state away weather/temp wise and as Jerry said, the diff will get fairly hot after a trip on the highway. Without exact temps we can only guess what’s normal and wants not. Starting with the easiest first- you say the diff fluid is full - what’s full? Full as in I added 2 qts but have a massive aftermarket diff cover so it’s below the axle tubes? Or full like I added until it blew out the breather? Also what oil? The type can also make a difference but I doubt to the degree you’re experiencing.
It does not have a aftermarket dif cover I have a stock one it’s filled to the fill hole I believe I put in 80-90 or something like that I’ll have to see the bottle when I get home

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Until you get a IR thermometer nobody here can help you...as stated your too hot may be normal.

It does not have a aftermarket dif cover I have a stock one it’s filled to the fill hole I believe I put in 80-90 or something like that I’ll have to see the bottle when I get home
That viscosity is fine, no worries there. Until you give us actual temps of the axle at different locations with an IR gun we're all guessing. But again, the normal temps of an axle after it has been driven will be hot enough that you can't hold your hand on it for more than a second or two before it'll be too hot to continue doing that. 140-175 is considered in the normal range after it has been driven for a while.

Hey bud I said in my post what was the problem I also told you everything please move on if you got nothing nice to say thank you.
We kept saying - get an infra red thermometer. We believe you its hot , how hot is it. Trying to help you get a reference point. And as Rubi said, if you are feeling around your rear diff, it seems you might know something is going on with it ....as in checking the work, etc.

You've told us everything except anything important. What are the actual temps? How hot did the rear end you removed or the previous gear set get after an extended run at highway speeds?

Reactions: ColoJeep
Thanks for information regarding "Scalding" from hot "Fluids" but that's not the case here or when I check my cooker temps or touch anything hot there is some amount of air between my hand and the surface area I'm checking and the skin contact surface is much less then submerging in a fluid. Just sayin!

Reactions: Blondie70