I have not seen any write up on being able to do that on an 05? there are 2 precats right under the manifold then the rest of the exhaust just hugs against the oil pan.

I have cordless impact wrench that can easily snap the bolts...Remember I am in NY not AZ we have rust here on every bolt.
TJ2 I am talking about the 2 precats that are right under the manifold I need to disconnect to get the exhaust out of the way to drop the oil pan.

You are right you do get alot of rust. My air impact had snapped bolts. But in the past 2 years i have not snapped one with the Milwaukee. I think it has to do with the way it hits.
It was explained once and i can't remember exactly how or way. But one thing I do know is because of the way it hits, torque sticks dont work. It over torques every time. Same set with my air impact works perfectly.

I have snapped rear shock upper bolts, even a body mount bolt and the feeling I got on the precat bolt is it was ready to go as well, so I stopped. Currently just contemplating with living with maybe a drop every other day or forking over the dough to the man?

Reactions: skrelnik
I have snapped rear shock upper bolts, even a body mount bolt and the feeling I got on the precat bolt is it was ready to go as well, so I stopped. Currently just contemplating with living with maybe a drop every other day or forking over the dough to the man?

Is this what you are experiencing, in the pics? I assume this is my RMS leaking, and I did have a slow leak from there, but I recntly did an oil change and now it's dripping a little more than before the oil change.

I also have a 2005, so this may be a job for Frank, my local mechanic. Removing the pre cats to drop the pan, on top of everything else will be a huge event for me, and potentially out of my league.

Here is a great DIY for the later years, at least 2005 and 2006, as I cannot confirm earlier years.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1803-how-to-replace-a-jeep-4-0l-rear-main-seal/

20180723_182107.jpg
20180723_182016.jpg
20180723_182001.jpg

Reactions: BigWheel88
1st-time poster, but have been a long-time stalker and this my third jeep (CJ, YJ and now 05 Tj 4.0 I6). I have been coming here for years for help, so thank you all. First of all, Chris thank you for the write-up on this RMS. This along with other posts, prayers and videos helped me prepare and complete this. I'll be completely honest...this was a huge PITA and I turned into my dad growing up using many different word combinations and screaming into the air or anything I could look at. Even my animals were staying clear. This is the day after and I am bruised, bloody and popping Advil. On my 2005 removing the exhaust was probably my biggest pain. All the bolts came off ok because I was actually re-doing myself a paid RMS failed fix from a shop that has been pouring out worse than when I took it in.

I would say that the 1st rule of this would be to have a second person around for some things. Gravity works wonders getting things off but putting them back on is pretty tough at times without being creative. Dropping the skid plate was a pain as well. As it drops the transmission a little, I had a jack and a piece of wood lightly hold it in place. That movement scared me. I didn’t know any other way to get the exhaust off without removing the skid and I wasn’t about to cut. I never understood what everyone was talking about with the top RMS tearing at the lip until I tore (shaved) two of them. Luckily I ordered backups but that leverage sucked as well so I recommend removing the clutch dust shield for that better angle. That little piece of Plastic that FelPro sends does help a lot.

I don’t know who out there has these long skinny rubber arms but I just simply could not succeed with getting the exhaust back on the manifold. At this point I was on my 10th hour and I just simply gave up with 1 bolt attached on each and will take it into a shop that has more leverage to get in there.

One thing also is that everyone says is to spray/soak those exhaust bolts the night before for removal ease…Well prepare for some foul-smelling smoke for a while. All done, and no leaks at all for once in 10 years but It honestly doesn’t feel satisfying. All that time and blood just for two tiny pieces of rubber kind of ticks me off..The funny ending (not at the time) is that after everything was back on...my jack was stuck all the way extended.

Thank you again and sorry to write a novel..

1st-time poster, but have been a long-time stalker and this my third jeep (CJ, YJ and now 05 Tj 4.0 I6). I have been coming here for years for help, so thank you all. First of all, Chris thank you for the write-up on this RMS. This along with other posts, prayers and videos helped me prepare and complete this. I'll be completely honest...this was a huge PITA and I turned into my dad growing up using many different word combinations and screaming into the air or anything I could look at. Even my animals were staying clear. This is the day after and I am bruised, bloody and popping Advil. On my 2005 removing the exhaust was probably my biggest pain. All the bolts came off ok because I was actually re-doing myself a paid RMS failed fix from a shop that has been pouring out worse than when I took it in.

I would say that the 1st rule of this would be to have a second person around for some things. Gravity works wonders getting things off but putting them back on is pretty tough at times without being creative. Dropping the skid plate was a pain as well. As it drops the transmission a little, I had a jack and a piece of wood lightly hold it in place. That movement scared me. I didn’t know any other way to get the exhaust off without removing the skid and I wasn’t about to cut. I never understood what everyone was talking about with the top RMS tearing at the lip until I tore (shaved) two of them. Luckily I ordered backups but that leverage sucked as well so I recommend removing the clutch dust shield for that better angle. That little piece of Plastic that FelPro sends does help a lot.

I don’t know who out there has these long skinny rubber arms but I just simply could not succeed with getting the exhaust back on the manifold. At this point I was on my 10th hour and I just simply gave up with 1 bolt attached on each and will take it into a shop that has more leverage to get in there.

One thing also is that everyone says is to spray/soak those exhaust bolts the night before for removal ease…Well prepare for some foul-smelling smoke for a while. All done, and no leaks at all for once in 10 years but It honestly doesn’t feel satisfying. All that time and blood just for two tiny pieces of rubber kind of ticks me off..The funny ending (not at the time) is that after everything was back on...my jack was stuck all the way extended.

Thank you again and sorry to write a novel..

Great post...thank you. Kind of confirms this is not a job for typical DIYer. As much as I want to tackle this job I don't think I can do it solo. I was contemplating hiring a mobile mechanic to come help me or just let it be and monitor oil levels.

Anyone ever hire a mobile mechanic for assistance?

I mainly needed someone else for those two situations and possibly some moral support/cheerleader/beer retriever. I only used two 6 ton jacks (overkill) and a 3-ton bottle but in those certain situations another would have been nice. I balanced the skid plate on a milk crate on one side while bolting the other side. Ended up using the bottle jack for assistance with the exhaust up front. It can be done and I am a novice semi-pro but I think shocks, new seats, lift or something visible would have suited my personality better. Seeing no leak is satisfying but all that for those little two pieces of rubber.....UGH!. I just didn't trust anyone else to do it..If you can get it lifted up more and have more leverage and accessibility I believe this would be a LOT quicker. We are Jeep people...we adapt!

Thanks for the work on doing this How to, very helpful. I have a question. On my 98 I have a foam gasket that is glued to the clutch dust cover. Noticed it after pulling the rear main cap. Anyone else have this? Ok to remove like any other old gasket? Researching and going through video's and pictures I haven't come across anyone else having this.

I’m thinking it’s just to block dust and dirt, not an oil seal.
While I haven't actually seen one personally, the fact that it's a foam gasket, and that it's actually attached to the dust cover/inspection plate, I'd tend to agree with you on its purpose and function. If it was me, I wouldn't remove it unless I had a replacement. Just a thought.

Well, I just ordered a Mopar replacement for my Fel-Pro that went in about 5k miles ago. Pretty sure I did everything right...it's not rocket science. Thinking I got a bad seal. Since it's such a pain dealing with the exhaust, I decided on the Mopar vs a warranty replacement. It was about 10 bucks more than the Aftermarket part.

Reactions: Squatch
While I haven't actually seen one personally, the fact that it's a foam gasket, and that it's actually attached to the dust cover/inspection plate, I'd tend to agree with you on its purpose and function. If it was me, I wouldn't remove it unless I had a replacement. Just a thought.

Appreciate your insight. I cleaned it up and it appears to be OK. The transmission would have to come out to replace it and I don't believe it needs to be taken that far.

Reactions: Squatch
Well, I just ordered a Mopar replacement for my Fel-Pro that went in about 5k miles ago. Pretty sure I did everything right...it's not rocket science. Thinking I got a bad seal. Since it's such a pain dealing with the exhaust, I decided on the Mopar vs a warranty replacement. It was about 10 bucks more than the Aftermarket part.
...Mine is leaking again FYI... so it is the agony of defeat. I had both the Mopar and the Fel-pro. I shaved the Mopar one on install so I had to switch over. The Mopar one will not come with the little plastic guide. I honestly just want to squeeze the entire tube of ultra black up there..

So glad I found this.
Time is my biggest factor. I'm a pretty decent mechanic...or at least was 15 years ago before I got into IT. I dropped my '03 off for an estimate. They came bake with a $2k estimate for the rear main, pan and gasket, trans pan and gasket, axle U joints, and rear links. I obviously choked.

Based on this thread, I'm going to pick it up on Monday and look for another shop. If I had the time and a good spot to work, other than my driveway, I'd do it myself...again, after reading this thread. I've done dozens of RMS's over the years (classic V8s, imports, etc.); none look as easy as this.

Great write up and supporting pics. :thumbup:

As long as you are not going into debt, I find no shame in paying to have a subject matter expert fix something if you don’t have the time or level of comfort to do it yourself.
I'm a big fan of trusting the experts.
Shop #1 was not. Friday, when I pulled into shop #2 to drop off, in the lot were 2 CJs, a YJ, several TJs, and a couple WranglersWithExtraDoors.
I knew right away I was in the right place. The next morning, they came back with $600+ estimate that included a new pan. I asked if the part would be OEM or better, and they said they wouldn't advise using anything less. It old them to service the Auto Trans as well. I'll have it back this week.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of trusting the experts.
Shop #1 was not. Friday, when I pulled into shop #2 to drop off, in the lot were 2 CJs, a YJ, several TJs, and a couple WranglersWithExtraDoors.

I'm guessing those were not 2-door Jeeps with tube doors stored in the back...

I knew right away I was in the right place. The next morning, they came back with $600+ estimate that included a new pan. I asked if the part would be OEM or better, and they said they wouldn't advise using anything less. It old them to service the Auto Trans as well. I'll have it back this week.
Good find. I'm hoping to find such a shop in my city, and just may have...

Pretty good write up! My LJ isn't marking it's territory so far which had me double checking the oil pressure. This is my first "AMC" straight six, but I've owned several Chevy 250s and a Pontiac OHC 6. If those didn't drip, something was wrong. But then again the 4.0 is a lot newer than the sixes I've ran in the past.