john arata

Thought i had a leak from my oil plug guy said its a main rear seal.Its leaking very little and my oil is never low.
Are 2004 TJ 4.0 known for rear seal leaks.Also can i just use that bar leak stuff ,or would you have it fixed.
Also any idea of price
As always thanks

Thought i had a leak from my oil plug guy said its a main rear seal.Its leaking very little and my oil is never low.
Are 2004 TJ 4.0 known for rear seal leaks.Also can i just use that bar leak stuff ,or would you have it fixed.
Also any idea of price
As always thanks

It's around 2-4 hours of labor so factor that by whatever the hourly rate is.

Also any idea of price
As always thanks

The 4.0 is notorious for the RMS leaking.

Reactions: Stinger and Chris
We should be fortunate that our rear main seals are two pieces, and this do not require dropping the transmission, as would be the case on most vehicles.

Reactions: Serbonze
I went on vacation for a week and left a small plastic plate under the Jeep to see how much oil I lost. This was after eight days.

image.jpeg

Might be time to do the rear main.

Or leave the pan under it and live with it.
Not trying to be a smart ass but these GD things are such a PITA of piss poor engineering!

Why does CD seem to think just because they have a corner on the market we will put up with this kinda crap forever?
They have so many engineering fails it would fill a huge ("uge") three ring binder.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, the rear main seal is notorious on these things, no doubt about it. I changed mine out though and it's been leak free for a while now though (knock on wood).