The plastic piece was simply a guide that hostly did not work for me. It was just slow and steady and bringing up every curse word possible reminding me of my childhood listening to my dad put up wall paper. If you do decide to do it yourself get two seals just in case, really good gloves and some Neosporin for healing throughout the next week. I tore my first top piece so that is my main pointer on getting two seals. I did it myself, cursed a lot, scared some people walking by but now over 6 months and no leak still. You do feel good about your work as I have a hard time trusting some shops. My biggest hurtles were the exhaust which wraps around the oil pan...dumb..and the weight of the transmission plate/shield and get g it back on. Also this plate supports the transmission and you don't want that just hanging there showing its junk. Have a second person around helping you, to punch or to cry with...BTW $220 sounds great, just hope you trust them.

Reactions: loco1122
Yes. You should pay the shop $220 to do it.
@Serbonze Lol, you were right... I am a fucking idiot, maybe why I shouldn't smoke a bowl before a task. I took the job this morning and I just finished an hour ago ... took me 9.. hours due to cleaning the oil pan and installing the upper seal INCORRECTLY. I went through 2 seals lol.. I had to go back to O ridleys because the first time I tried to install it I ripped it because I didn't use the little plastic piece. After being patient and doing it correctly I got it in and then when I came to take out the plastic piece the small end ripped off in there. The seal is flush but will that be bad? when the vehicle is driveable we will see. But anyways besides that little plastic piece .. I followed the directions, sealing and torquing the bolts everything back up. I left the starter and putting oil in for another day .... my ass fucking hurts . But after I read your text I had to take the job on @Serbonze:)))) additionally thank you @Chris and everyone else for constant help <3 Saved me couple bucks

Reactions: Chris
The plastic piece was simply a guide that hostly did not work for me. It was just slow and steady and bringing up every curse word possible reminding me of my childhood listening to my dad put up wall paper. If you do decide to do it yourself get two seals just in case, really good gloves and some Neosporin for healing throughout the next week. I tore my first top piece so that is my main pointer on getting two seals. I did it myself, cursed a lot, scared some people walking by but now over 6 months and no leak still. You do feel good about your work as I have a hard time trusting some shops. My biggest hurtles were the exhaust which wraps around the oil pan...dumb..and the weight of the transmission plate/shield and get g it back on. Also this plate supports the transmission and you don't want that just hanging there showing its junk. Have a second person around helping you, to punch or to cry with...BTW $220 sounds great, just hope you trust them.
I wish I saw this before my dumbass tried with the first replacement seal I purchased, I don't trust any shop. The dude seems honest, but the only reason he is offering $220 was that I had asked for a quote for the job with me supplying everything... That being said that void's the warranty for his work. I had asked this mechanic in the past for a quote on rebuilding a gearbox ... in person and he told me I will only warranty three months for a leak...So I'm guessing this job would have been the same. I removed the entire exhaust system ... the entire thing was barely held on .. came off in a second and had hidden cracks I never new .. I never inspected the exhaust lol till now.

Last edited:
@Chris @Serbonze I'm really sorry to bother one of you guys are probably knowledgable. My short memory kicked in around the end of the rear main seal job... I forgot the starter bolts orientation. There are two, one on the back of the starter and one on the front lower portion. I smoke too much and I forgot which goes where , One of the bolts is long other short .. where does short where does long go? front or back Im sorrry :)

@Chris @Serbonze I'm really sorry to bother one of you guys are probably knowledgable. My short memory kicked in around the end of the rear main seal job... I forgot the starter bolts orientation. There are two, one on the back of the starter and one on the front lower portion. I smoke too much and I forgot which goes where , One of the bolts is long other short .. where does short where does long go? front or back Im sorrry :)
@Chris you wouldn't happen to know??

Had my starter off last night, I believe the longer one is down low and short one going in from the back up top

in the process of replacing the seals, everything was going great until i was attempting to remove the top seal. the seal is not coming out, just being driven up into the cavity. think i am screwed, any suggestions?

in the process of replacing the seals, everything was going great until i was attempting to remove the top seal. the seal is not coming out, just being driven up into the cavity. think i am screwed, any suggestions?
There’s a Metal part of the seal. Be sure that’s the part you are tapping. And use a blunt punch not a sharp one. Good luck.

used a small phillips head screwdriver and finally got it. think i read somewhere to but dishwashing soap on the upper seal to help it slide in easier, is this necessary?

i am almost done, just have to fill the oil and put the starter back on. this is a serious project but doable. calling me a shadetree mechanic would be a huge understatement. for those thinking about taking this on i would suggest getting at least 2 of the seals. i had a slight nick in mine and was glad i had an extra, would suck to get that far and not be able to continue. the shoehorn and dish soap did the trick getting in the upper seal, it took a while and i said several choice words. it took me a while to complete this but i cleaned as much of the undercarraige as i could and repainted the oil pan. this forum is awesome, looked this write up several times during the process. been a member of numerous and this one has the most helpful members by far. thanks

Reactions: qslim
Glad i found this, this is going on my ever growing list of things needed to be done to the TJ. Thanks

Doing my seal now. Struggling to get the oil pan off. Looks like there is a tab sticking out on the trans inspection cover that is preventing the back of the oil pan from dropping. Any tips? Debating yanking the starter and inspection plate but thought I would check on here first.

Doing my seal now. Struggling to get the oil pan off. Looks like there is a tab sticking out on the trans inspection cover that is preventing the back of the oil pan from dropping. Any tips? Debating yanking the starter and inspection plate but thought I would check on here first.
I removed the tab/ plate that covers about 1/2 of the inspection area...think it was 4 or 5 bolts. I had to remove it as it was somewhat bent and in the way.

Last edited:
I would go ahead a take the starter off anyway. Just 2 bolts and it makes putting it back together easier to. They shouldn’t be anything holding it if you have all the bolts out. You might want to double check that you got them all.

I had all the bolts bolts out. The whole pan dropped but I could see the rear of the oil pan sitting on the inspection cover tab.

Thanks for the information I will take off the starter today.