Rear shock install

Boomer453

TJ Enthusiast
so i have been chasing down some rattling in the rear of the jeep. I originally thought it was the swingout tire carrier and removed it. The rattle didn't go away and looking more into it I found a busted shock.
I've ordered a pair of Ranchos for the back but I've heard horror stories about swapping the rear shocks. How bad is this gonna be?

It helps to have socket extensions to get up to the upper shock pin bolts. As long as they aren’t seized, it’s a pretty easy job.

Reactions: Bigfoot-NM
so i have been chasing down some rattling in the rear of the jeep. I originally thought it was the swingout tire carrier and removed it. The rattle didn't go away and looking more into it I found a busted shock.
I've ordered a pair of Ranchos for the back but I've heard horror stories about swapping the rear shocks. How bad is this gonna be?

Spray them with kroil for a few days before attempting to remove the bolts, might help.

Reactions: Goatman
2 bolts at the top, 1 bolt at the bottom. Doable on the ground but easier if the frame is on jack stands and the axle can be moved up/down with a jack to align the bolts so you don't have to fight the gas pressure in the shocks.

Reactions: WHBNM and Ante_Up
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to Wranglers. Bought a 2002 in decent shape swapped out the front shocks and looking at the rear. is there any access to the top mount from the inside?

I installed a pair of rear Ranchos yesterday morning. Piece of cake, but I don't have to fight any rust issues. I had replaced the fronts a couple months ago, but the rears were on back order. I really noticed the ride quality improvement on my commute today.

As other said, spay upper bolts with Kroil. When going to install new ones, leave one upper bolt in place. It will be much easier to install the shock.

I did my shocks earlier this summer and I live in a rust belt. If you remove the rear wheel liners you can get in there to soak them down from above. I used 10 inch extensions to reach them. A universal joint style adapter (struggling to remember the exact name of it) might help you get a good seat on them as well.

Side note: I also found when I had to replace my gas tank skid plate that you have really easy access to those shock mount bolts if you drop the gas tank. Not saying it's worth doing, but it is a thought if you are struggling to get to them.

You can actually get in between the frame and wheel well liner if your penetrating oil of choice has one of those straws with it. I did it that was when I installed my lift. Shining a flashlight in the area helps with being able to see where the end of your straw is pointed.

IMG_5018.JPG