Rear sway bar moves inside bushing

grabeb

TJ Enthusiast
Notice a bit of clanging on our 01 jeep sport tonight while out driving. Haven't had her long so still finding the little things. Two weeks ago i replaced the front sway bar links and bushings. Last week i tackled the tie rods and such and upgraded to the zj ones.

I crawled under tonight to see what was making the noise and best i can tell its the rear sway bar. The bar moves inside the bushing and at the link. This is basically a stock tj for our teen daughter. Ie no plans to lift in near future, but if i can upgrade for near same price I'm good with that. Any suggestions?

New bushings and end links are pretty damn cheap. Grab some and call it a day.
Just wondering if i stick with stock sway bar in back? I'm guessing it's decent enough for stock, but it looks smaller diameter than front, which made me question.

I think $40 for moog links and bushings on Amazon. Unless i hear different I'll just order them.

Just wondering if i stick with stock sway bar in back? I'm guessing it's decent enough for stock, but it looks smaller diameter than front, which made me question.

I think $40 for moog links and bushings on Amazon. Unless i hear different I'll just order them.
Stock is fine. A more important consideration is to get rubber bushings instead of poly. A lot of people think poly is an upgrade over rubber, and it can be for many vehicles. But you don't want a stiffer ride or the squeaking that eventually comes. Just get stock rubber and be done.

Looks like the moogs are rubber, so i guess that's good. I didn't even think about that! Thanks!!

Most of us that rock crawl keep the stock rear sway bar, if that tells you anything. It’s a long way before you’d need to mess with it!

rockauto has mopar rear sway bar mount bushings P/N 52088125AB for $6.93 each, you will need 2. dont get Moog, they are crap. I went back to mopar after my Moog bushings were toast after a year. the inner diameters opened up and the bar was moving up and down in the bushing and side to side.

and the mopar end links on rockauto are 30.89 each P/N 52088896AA (not sure if this is compatible for 01 though do your research) but there is some slop in the new rear end links anyhow. I was surprised to find the inner diameter the mounting bolt goes into was larger than the bolt. I just replaced mine returning from Moog and they are sloppy like Moog but the inner surface touching the mounting bolts is a dense rubber/plastic that is alot quieter then the moog metal bushing that was clacky.

Stock is fine. A more important consideration is to get rubber bushings instead of poly. A lot of people think poly is an upgrade over rubber, and it can be for many vehicles. But you don't want a stiffer ride or the squeaking that eventually comes. Just get stock rubber and be done.
It doesn't matter much on a sway bar. Years ago when the factory stuff was worn out, I went with poly because I wanted to make the bar feel stiffer.

I have no idea if the difference between rubber and poly sway bar bushings is perceivable. But I do know that tight connections are important.

Reactions: Ephry73
It doesn't matter much on a sway bar. Years ago when the factory stuff was worn out, I went with poly because I wanted to make the bar feel stiffer.

I have no idea if the difference between rubber and poly sway bar bushings is perceivable. But I do know that tight connections are important.
To the OP keep the stock rear sway bar. You don't want to change it unless it's bent and out of spec. I like the stock rubber bushings on the clamps on the axle side and poly bushings on the links.

To the OP keep the stock rear sway bar. You don't want to change it unless it's bent and out of spec. I like the stock rubber bushings on the clamps on the axle side and poly bushings on the links.
I need to look again, and the links aren't expensive, but can i just replace the bushings on the links without replacing the links? Or is it just easier to replace the entire link?

This post made me think maybe i saw just the link bushings as well as entire link.

I need to look again, and the links aren't expensive, but can i just replace the bushings on the links without replacing the links? Or is it just easier to replace the entire link?

This post made me think maybe i saw just the link bushings as well as entire link.
If the links are in good order and not bent, should be simple to replace the bushings if they're shot. It took me a good 30 minutes per side without a press to swap out the original 24+ year old rubber bushings on my TJ to Poly ones. The difference in handling was night and day. If you do use Poly bushings, you MUST keep them greased, or the noise and squeaking will drive you nuts. Every oil change should be good, unless it rains a lot where you live. Little things like that compound and change the behavior of the vehicle. Kind of like fresh shocks and springs. Even if stock.

Well i am not having luck finding mopar. At least not that i can get in a few days... everyone saying next week. Normally that would be fine, but I'd like to get something on this this weekend, as she starts school next week and i know then things will get crazy and finding time will be harder. If the bushings are a 15 min job and only $10-15, i guess I'll take my chances. I'm working on a garage and then a lift and once that's complete it'll only be easier to change and to keep eye on. Just trying to get the issues i find solved for now.
If the links are in good order and not bent, should be simple to replace the bushings if they're shot. It took me a good 30 minutes per side without a press to swap out the original 24+ year old rubber bushings on my TJ to Poly ones. The difference in handling was night and day. If you do use Poly bushings, you MUST keep them greased, or the noise and squeaking will drive you nuts. Every oil change should be good, unless it rains a lot where you live. Little things like that compound and change the behavior of the vehicle. Kind of like fresh shocks and springs. Even if stock.
The rear ones aren't greaseable that I see. Unless I'm mistaken, but I think the moog are rubber.

Well i am not having luck finding mopar. At least not that i can get in a few days... everyone saying next week. Normally that would be fine, but I'd like to get something on this this weekend, as she starts school next week and i know then things will get crazy and finding time will be harder. If the bushings are a 15 min job and only $10-15, i guess I'll take my chances. I'm working on a garage and then a lift and once that's complete it'll only be easier to change and to keep eye on. Just trying to get the issues i find solved for now.

The rear ones aren't greaseable that I see. Unless I'm mistaken, but I think the moog are rubber.
I hate to say it, but Amazon has a good delivery turn around. I always go local small shop first, then local chain store, then amazon if I cannot find what I need.

I used Moog parts on mine and they loosened up and were clunking again. I replaced them with Mopar bushings on the axle and AC Delco links. Held up well for the last year or so.

I've had great luck on Amazon on most things. Not sure how a warranty claim on expensive part would be but....

The moog bushings are $8 free ship and have tomorrow on Amazon. At Oreilly's they are $24. The Mopar at RockAuto are fair price, but can't have for a week. That's why Amazon seems to rule. I'd rather run to Oreilly and grab, they are a mile down the road, but that's a stupid price difference and then as for mopar, they need to call dealership, see if they can get so they can re-sell to me....I might as well try the dealer myself.

I realize I might be taking a gamble on the moog at this point, but I ran with moog on the front sway bar and tie rods based on other threads. None of it is expensive and if it buys me a year and it's working for now and gets us through winter and until I get my garage then so be it. I'll likely try a few other searches to see if I can grab the mopar sooner elsewhere before I place order.

I used Moog parts on mine and they loosened up and were clunking again. I replaced them with Mopar bushings on the axle and AC Delco links. Held up well for the last year or so.
Mine has Energy Suspension poly on the axle side and Rubicon Express poly links. Both have at least 50k miles and are still snug and quiet with little to no grease.

Reactions: Ephry73 and grabeb
I used Napa bushings. Any opportunity I have to NOT buy from Amazon is the choice i make. Napa bushings, much mud, many miles, no squeak or wear.
I have extended links in the rear. 🇺🇸

Reactions: grabeb and Ephry73
for what its worth, I used moog sway bar mount bushings on my truck and jeep front and rear and they were both shot within a year. I wasn't very impressed. I refrain to buy Moog bushings if possible anymore unless im out of other choices.

for what its worth, I used moog sway bar mount bushings on my truck and jeep front and rear and they were both shot within a year. I wasn't very impressed. I refrain to buy Moog bushings if possible anymore unless im out of other choices.
I'll say i guess I'll be keeping eyes on them, but for now it's what I'll run. Already went with the fronts and ordered the rears tonight. I want this ready for school next week, even if that means i need to replace in a few months. At least cheap easy fix.

Thanks for all the replies. When i built my 60 suburban i kept hearing moog had gone down hill.... getting that again here.