Rear Wiper Won't Stay on Glass

f22beaver

TJ Enthusiast
Rear wiper works, but it won't stay on glass. Additionally, the spring is good. But when I pull it away from the glass and then push it back down, it looks like there's a metal clip that's sticking out. To be clear, this piece you see in the pic is connected to the spring. So, I think, that this metal clip is pulling out of the wiper arm which is making me lose the spring clamp.

Anybody know if this specific part is replaceable? I'd like to not buy a whole new arm if I can avoid it. Thanks.

PXL_20220131_134516613_2.jpg

To me it looks like it's either part of the spring or something that isn't supposed to be there at all. Have you pulled the whole arm out like you're changing the blade and looked in there? Doing that and taking a picture may also help us help you.

Whatever that part is, I doubt it's replaceable as one piece.

Whatever that part is, I doubt it's replaceable as one piece.
I agree with you on this but had to shoot my shot. :)

So this pic is with it fully pulled away. As you can see the spring still looks good. On the left, you see where the spring connects to a metal clip. That's my clip that pulls away when I push the arm back down. You'll notice in this clip it actually looks completely seated. It's when I push it back forward that it begins to sit proud. That's what makes me think it's not "grabbing" whatever it's supposed to.

PXL_20220131_142740134.jpg

Necessity is the mother of invention, I suppose. Ordered a new one arm that will be here this weekend, but this zip-tie is getting us through this 3-4 day snowstorm.

PXL_20220201_191232014.jpg

You just need to get some glass spacers to bring the glass closer to the wiper! :alien:

Reactions: MikekiM
The problem you have is all that rust in the hinge. A long time ago when I lived up north I used to see this all the time. Remove the arm and get that pivot working smoothly again and it will work fine.

Reactions: MikekiM
The problem you have is all that rust in the hinge. A long time ago when I lived up north I used to see this all the time. Remove the arm and get that pivot working smoothly again and it will work fine.
This ^^^

Hit it with some spray lube and work the hinge back and forth until it is moving free. Totally cost should be $0.

If that fails, go with the with the glass spacers. Splurge for the euro drilled and slotted spacers. Work great and are lighter and faster. :oops::oops: