Rebuilding my TJ, what should I do next?

TJSyed88

I started working on restoring my 99 Wrangler TJ in June. The images show the progress. There is extensive rust on the pans of the tub and the rear frame arches. Additionally, most bolts, almost 90% of them were rusted so I decided to strip the whole car and start from scratch with no specific timeline in mind - I would say my budget is circa $10k to rebuild with new parts.

My question is, does anyone here know or would like to advise if you were where I am now what would you start working on next. For context, I am currently wire brushing the rust off the frame.
Wrangler 1.JPG

Wrangler 2.JPG

I started working on restoring my 99 Wrangler TJ in June. The images show the progress. There is extensive rust on the pans of the tub and the rear frame arches. Additionally, most bolts, almost 90% of them were rusted so I decided to strip the whole car and start from scratch with no specific timeline in mind - I would say my budget is circa $10k to rebuild with new parts.

My question is, does anyone here know or would like to advise if you were where I am now what would you start working on next. For context, I am currently wire brushing the rust off the frame. View attachment 281528

View attachment 281529
Don’t forget the inside of the frame. Have you bore scoped between the control arm mounts? A frame swap might be worth it in your case. Beautiful tub.

Thank you @JMT I havent considered the inside of the frame, I will check costs of a new frame too. I feel like the rear part of the frame most likely does have rust on the inside. The skid plate bolts are rusted to the point that they feel welded on. The transmission however is in perfect condition considering the car has done 225k miles in 22 years.

Reactions: JMT
Thank you @JMT I havent considered the inside of the frame, I will check costs of a new frame too. I feel like the rear part of the frame most likely does have rust on the inside. The skid plate bolts are rusted to the point that they feel welded on. The transmission however is in perfect condition considering the car has done 225k miles in 22 years.
I kind of hope you got into it cheap. I get the impression you did. Pouring 10k into it sounds like a fun and reasonable amount. Stock part take offs can be found on FB marketplace and CL for cheap. Not sure what you have in mind for your build, but with the time you have you could make it great.

The purchase price for the car was $2k flat. I have been looking at stock parts on FB marketplace additionally looking at extreme terrain which seems a little expensive.

Next steps are really what I need some inspiration on

Reactions: JMT
The purchase price for the car was $2k flat. I have been looking at stock parts on FB marketplace additionally looking at extreme terrain which seems a little expensive.

Next steps are really what I need some inspiration on
You're in a really good place on this forum. You'll get the best TJ knowledge; places to buy from, product details down to customer service and if and when it matters, using shops, et. al.

Once you figure out what you're doing with your frame,

1) I'd look at H&R springs for a small lift over stock (1"). With such a small lift, everything else can be stock.
2) Clean up everything underneath, self etch prime and paint (the frame spec is flat satin black; everything else looks good with satin black)
3) Replace all your fluids (baseline)
4) Plugs, the normal stuff, check your wiring and looms, make sure everything works, fix anything that doesn't.
5) New shocks that will work with 1" lift (I suggest Rancho 5000X 0-2" lift; they give a plush ride for a short wheelbase vehicle
6) You might consider a ZJ Tie Rod Conversion with new Tie Rod Ends to freshen up your steering.
7) Check your bushings on your control arms. If they're bad, I'd just buy new arms rather than replace bushings (if it would be a chore for you, new are $200 for a set of 8)
8) Freshen up the body mounts if needed
9) Run a nice 31" tire (AT or MT) at 27-28psi

Reactions: dvngdg
Great input thanks. I was thinking of going for a minimum 3 inch lift with the 31 inch tires at 27-28 psi
3” lift will bring new issues you wouldn’t experience at 2”. There are not a lot of 3” spring offerings. Savvy 3”, JKS 3” are a couple that come to mind. If you’re going to 4” you’ll be into RockJock 4” territory. 3” and up you’ll want at least a 32” tire. For 4” 33”. Adjustable track bars front and rear, an SYE and DC, adjustable control arms. Longer shocks. 👍🏼