Recommendation for steering stabilizer

Thor

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Happy 4th all! I’ve got a 2006 LJ with about 130k on it. Stock ride height with 30’s. I’m looking at replacing my steering stabilizer and have found a lot of good information on them about not getting a gas filled unit because they tend to push unlike the hydraulic setup. I just recently changed out all the shocks to Ranchos and was looking at keeping the same brand for the stabilizer. I can’t find a definitive answer on if Ranchos part# RS5407 is hydraulic or gas charged. Can anyone help me out or have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance and I hope y’all enjoy your 4th!

I had a gas-charged Fox steering damper and had no issues with it causing pull. The restorative force created by an appropriate amount of caster and the kingpin axis inclination should easily overwhelm any force the damper creates at rest.

I would still be running it if I hadn't changed to ram assist steering.

Last edited:
Reactions: primetime4
I can’t find a definitive answer on if Ranchos part# RS5407 is hydraulic or gas charged.
from an Amazon question response:
The RS5407 is not a gas charged unit. It will function how intended in a single set up.

default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.jpg

Monroe C.
Manufacturer

I appreciate all the responses guys. I was told that it should have an alignment when it gets replaced but read on multiple forums that it’s not necessary.. any input?

I appreciate all the responses guys. I was told that it should have an alignment when it gets replaced but read on multiple forums that it’s not necessary.. any input?
It's mostly a non-essential part. If everything else is working properly, you wouldn't even notice if it wasn't there.

the damper doesn't affect the steering alignment but if you want to check it just follow the simple instructions in the how-to linked by Mrholland