Recommendations for Complete Rear Brake Replacement?

chrisjohns38

Supporting Member
My back drivers side piston leaks a tiny bit, but, also drags and generally doesn't seem to be working well.

Previous owner had a brake job in 2018, no details though.

ABS light is on and won't turn off, even if battery is completely disconnected for an hour.

I bled the brakes with a Motive pressure bleeder. Passenger rear went fine (fluid was dark, but no slug of water!).

During the driver rear bleed, there seemed to be a blockage, since only a relatively small amount of fluid came out before it stopped entirely.

To clear the line, I used a 2x4 to pressure the brake pedal, opened the fitting, fluid came out in volume, closed fitting before letting off of the brake pedal (no wife available yet).

Then was able easily get clear fluid to run out of fitting with only the Motive pressure bleeder at 15 psig.

Pedal is firm.

Now lots of weird noises from that area are audible when driving slowly.

Stops well, probably better than before.

Not loosing fluid.

Front pads are thin, but disks are smooth.

Ready to replace the whole thing, pistons, drums, pads, springs, fittings, and ???

Might as well get complete front and back kits.

Recommendations for complete kits?

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...rD0_L1HfYZd9c54akVc02v9IDtxTLeVMaApqiEALw_wcB

Sponsored kits?
Thanks in advance.

Where did you find this sponsor? When I looked at the sponsor page, only one sponsor showed up and it was not Black.

Wasn't sure it they are a sponsor, but they are the most recommended brakes for your TJ. @mrblaine (owner) is a huge contributor to this forum. And if you ever find yourself with a PCM issue, that sponsor you saw (WranglerFix) is the ONLY place you should go.

Reactions: chrisjohns38
If you want to refresh your brakes Rockauto.com has all the parts. You don't need anything else. Once you get everything back in good working order then you can consider an upgrade. There is no need to spend the money on Black Magic until you get everything back to stock and working well. Blaine has picked good pads for the front brakes and sells them through Black Magic, besides that everything else on Rockauto is the way to go. Even Blaine orders from Rockauto, they are a great resource for car parts.

Wasn't sure it they are a sponsor, but they are the most recommended brakes for your TJ. @mrblaine (owner) is a huge contributor to this forum. And if you ever find yourself with a PCM issue, that sponsor you saw (WranglerFix) is the ONLY place you should go.

Thanks. I had a hard time assembling the needed parts so sent in a request. Might be oem stuff is appropriate for a stock guy like me, but I’m all about reasonable improvements.

Reactions: Rcroane
I am pretty sure black magic sells OEM replacements too. You might save a few bucks going to rockauto, and I have ordered from them quite a few times, but when I have a choice I would rather support a small shop that contributes a lot to our sport/hobby than some giant corporation. Not only does Blaine freely share his vast knowledge for us all but he is hilarious. My orders through bmb have always been fulfilled without issue and my questions patiently answered no matter how dumb of a question it was.

I just did this on my TJ due to all the corrosion and lack of maintenance from the previous owner. I bought all new rotors, calipers, pads, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, ss brake lines, rubber lines, multifunction valve and the rubber line with T fitting on the rear axle. The only thing I didn't replace was the master cylinder and booster. I bought everything except the ss lines at Rockauto.

I locked up the fronts the other day stopping at a light with a red light camera. I am supper happy how well the brakes work. My TJ is almost completely stock so you may need higher performance parts if yours is modded.