Recommendations for roadside assistance?

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
Hi everybody. Like the title says any advice or recommendations on signing up with a roadside assistance program such as AAA? It would be nice to have the peace of mind driving the couple hours to the trails as well as wifeys car is getting up there in mileage and age as well.

What kind of roadside assistance are you looking for? My wife likes AAA and keeps signing us up, I have to admit that I've used them lots of time to tow vehicles. I had to pick up my Jeep up from a shop so I drove my Volt there, called AAA and had them tow the Volt to my house, and drove the Jeep home. I've never used their trip planning or other services, so for me, it's just a towing service. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it, but my wife likes it so........

I have towing through my regular insurance company (American Family) i could not tell you how far they will tow. But it includes all roadside service. One of these days ill look it up.

AAA hands down. Get the "Premier" option so that they will cover up to 200 miles of towing. That's what I have, and it's well worth it, especially considering that a towing bill for that many miles would be astronomical!

AAA hands down. Get the "Premier" option so that they will cover up to 200 miles of towing. That's what I have, and it's well worth it, especially considering that a towing bill for that many miles would be astronomical!
Yeah, we got the premier also. Saved my butt several times.......
(note: towing services will not tow from an off-road location, just in case anybody was thinking of that.....) :)

Yeah, we got the premier also. Saved my butt several times.......
(note: towing services will not tow from an off-road location, just in case anybody was thinking of that.....) :)

I always like knowing I have that 200 miles of free towing just incase my Jeep breaks down somewhere far away from home. It's nice knowing that I could literally have it towed 200 miles back to my house without footing any sort of bill whatsoever.

Can you imagine what that tow bill would cost otherwise? Probably $3500 plus.

What kind of roadside assistance are you looking for? My wife likes AAA and keeps signing us up, I have to admit that I've used them lots of time to tow vehicles. I had to pick up my Jeep up from a shop so I drove my Volt there, called AAA and had them tow the Volt to my house, and drove the Jeep home. I've never used their trip planning or other services, so for me, it's just a towing service. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it, but my wife likes it so........

I guess primarily for towing in case there’s a break down with the Jeep or any of our daily drivers I suppose. I’m comfortable changing tires but I guess if the wife has or break down or flat tire and I’m not available it would be nice to have.

I have towing through my regular insurance company (American Family) i could not tell you how far they will tow. But it includes all roadside service. One of these days ill look it up.

I’ll have to check with my insurance to see if they offer any kind of roadside service. Didn’t know that was an option. Thanks.

Yea I was more or less thinking about any kind of break down driving to the off road location lol. I keep it mostly local driving and prob 2-3 hrs tops to a jeepin location. 200 mile coverage sounds like it would do.

AAA is great too because it doesn't even have to be your rig. If you are riding with someone that breaks down, you can have their car towed, or gas, or whatever roadside assistance you need.

AAA is great too because it doesn't even have to be your rig. If you are riding with someone that breaks down, you can have their car towed, or gas, or whatever roadside assistance you need.

Thanks. That’s really good to know. So as long as I have coverage it will cover all my vehicles?

Yea I was more or less thinking about any kind of break down driving to the off road location lol. I keep it mostly local driving and prob 2-3 hrs tops to a jeepin location. 200 mile coverage sounds like it would do.
So i was reading over my policy. And my car insurance will only tow to a nearby repair shop. I know I have had them tow to my house more than once. But i was always in the city. Im sure if i was an hour away they would not.
Now i have to rethink my situation.

Reactions: jazngab
Thanks. That’s really good to know. So as long as I have coverage it will cover all my vehicles?
AAA covers a person not a vehicle. So if you buy it your wife is not covered (this is what i read) you have to pay extra to add on people.

So no matter what you are driving or a passenger in they will help. In someone is in your car/truck/jeep without you its not covered.

AAA covers a person not a vehicle. So if you buy it your wife is not covered (this is what i read) you have to pay extra to add on people.

So no matter what you are driving or a passenger in they will help. In someone is in your car/truck/jeep without you its not covered.

This is correct. I know because 20 years ago I locked my keys in my car while at a store with a friend. I was going to call AAA but he waved his premium card and insisted that he call AAA because he was the passenger and I was driving him to get beer. Oh... the good old days.

Reactions: Boinked and ac_
just had my aaa premier 200 mile tow. I needed to get my 59 up to a friend and he had my trailer. He lives in Ocala fl so it is about 300 miles. so I looked for a place withing 200 miles of my house where we could meet. he brought the trailer to Orlando city hall where aaa had dropped my wagon off with a tow of 192 miles for free (kinda of they even paid the turnpike tolls). loaded up on the trailer and we finished the last 100 or so miles to his place

AAA is great. Before I got my Jeep in February this year, I had cancelled AAA about 6 years ago because I had newer cars that came with roadside assistance while in the warranty period. My Challenger broke down at my Church which is nearly 50 miles from my house. The roadside service Dodge uses took 90 minutes to get to me and would only tow the car up to 25 miles. So had it towed to a dealer I don’t normally use and had to get a ride home.

AAA is no hassle, quick, and as everyone else said you can get the premier that gives you 200 miles for towing. I think the basic is 50.

My Dodge is now out of warranty and now with my Jeep, AAA is the best. Already used it twice this year. Once for my Dodge (yeah not the most reliable vehicles) and for my BMW (also not the most reliable brand of vehicle) Great service both times.

Sounds like AAA premier is the way to go. Did some research online and it looks like it’s about $126/yr. Does that sound about right?

Sounds like AAA premier is the way to go. Did some research online and it looks like it’s about $126/yr. Does that sound about right?
Sounds about right. Don't forget to add the wife as an additional member. I think is 60-70 more. But that way she is covered also.