Recommended drum brake overhaul kit

Nickxm92

Good morning everyone...

Looking to do a full overhaul on my drum brakes for my 97 TJ. Looking on quadratec a lot of the overhaul kits have terrible reviews with warped drums and missing or improperly sized springs.
Does anyone have a recommendation or a better parts site that I can rely on?
This will be my first time dealing with drum brakes so I want to have everything I need to sit down and take my time with it.

Thanks

I would recommend using your local auto parts store. When I re-geared my rear axle I did the overhaul including new backing plates from Advance Auto. So far no issues at 1500 miles.

P.S. Rear drums are the devil

Reactions: Ericict
Good morning everyone...

Looking to do a full overhaul on my drum brakes for my 97 TJ. Looking on quadratec a lot of the overhaul kits have terrible reviews with warped drums and missing or improperly sized springs.
This will be my first time dealing with drum brakes so I want to have everything I need to sit down and take my time with it.

Thanks
dont buy a "kit" from quadratec I would recommend sourcing good quality parts from a vendor that actually understands what they are selling and can give you solid advice

Reactions: Chris
As @Chris stated, go with BMB. I know where to get parts, but I went with a package from Black Magic. I got big brakes for the front and complete rears with rotor/calipers with parking brake components. He has sourced quality parts at competitive prices. You will get what is needed shipped quickly. You might save a couple bucks, at best trying to package something yourself, but it’s not worth the hassle. Also, he will answer your questions, usually in a fun and informative way.

I rebuilt my stock drums last year. Got all the parts from Oriellys and no issues so for. Take pics before you take them a part. The parking brake can be a bear.

Reactions: TJ Starting
As @Chris stated, go with BMB. I know where to get parts, but I went with a package from Black Magic. I got big brakes for the front and complete rears with rotor/calipers with parking brake components. He has sourced quality parts at competitive prices. You will get what is needed shipped quickly. You might save a couple bucks, at best trying to package something yourself, but it’s not worth the hassle. Also, he will answer your questions, usually in a fun and informative way.
Agree with this, I won't buy brake parts for my Jeep anywhere else... if for no other reason than this is the only place I know that you can call up and get awesome help with any issue you're having with them.

Search the forum for Black Magic Brakes or BMB and I doubt you'll find a single dissatisfied customer... and you surely will find a ton of satisfied ones.

Reactions: DaddyZSmith