Recommended gearing for 2001 TJ with 33s, 5-speed, and living in mountains?

Pcleaners2

TJ Enthusiast
Ok I’ve read everywhere for 33’s gearing somewhere between 4.56 and 4.88 with manual trans. Now I gotta figure out what’s in best for the Sierra Nevada area since my Jeep is up there now. Is it possible 4.88 would just be too much. Occasionally I do take it 100 miles in a day on freeway. It’s a pig on gas with the 3.73 and 31s.

Finally gonna start my ford 8.8 with lockers and 33s and body lift since already have ome lift 2”(maybe2.5).

jeep is heavy with bumpers hard top winch if that helps
Ford 8.8 is gonna be heavy too lol. Also unsure which lockers to go with maybe arb or ox wire pull. I do deflate the tires at times so maybe arb. E locker sounds easy to install though. Heard ox lockers are strong

Reactions: Shwiftypickle
4.56 is the normal recommendation for 33's with the 4.0 and 5-speed. I'd only consider 4.88 if your Jeep lives at a really high elevation or if 35's are a future possibility.

Reactions: Akitadog
4.88 would be ideal for the 5 speed. 4.56 would be appropriate for the 6 speed on 33s, but not the 5 speed. You could even consider 5.13s on 33s. That would also give you a little margin if you ever go larger or heavier.

Personally I would just go 5.13 and be done in your case. The marginal fuel economy loss from the slightly higher ratio will still not cost as much as regearing a second time. Although if you are 100% sticking with 33s, then go 4.88.

Last edited:
I daily drive 4.88 with the 5 speed and 33s. 75mph at 3k rpm. I think it's great, even on a few 2000 mile road trips.

I like my 4.56 with 5 speed...I have 32's but I geared for 33's. I don't think 4.88 would be so high as to annoy me, but I'm not sure it would gain me anything, either. The passes I have to downshift to get over, I would still have to downshift with 4.88 (e.g. Monarch pass with sustained 7% grades, a summit elevation of 11,300' and a 35mph speed limit that my TJ needs 3k+ RPM to maintain).

Just another data point for you.

Reactions: JMT and jjvw
My 4.56s with 33s were also great here in the high mountain passes of CO. I went a bit deeper than recommended when switching to 35s and am enjoying the hell of it

Reactions: jjvw