Redux

This exhaust clamp was serving no purpose and was allowing a small exhaust leak. Not a huge deal, but I was placing a Summit Racing order anyway so I replaced it with a band style clamp.

IMG_20200816_142147.jpg

IMG_20200816_150916.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
Reactions: rasband
I replaced the spark plugs today so I could establish a date of when they were last replaced. I wasn't noticing any issues. Looking at them out, my guess is the ones in there were the originals and had burned back to a massive .08" gap.

I wasn't expecting any difference, but it seems to idle a little smoother now.

IMG_20200823_134103.jpg

IMG_20200823_140347.jpg

Reactions: zebra12
You didn't taper? The guy I watched said taper was super important
I tapered mine too. The taper is important, theoretically, to reduce stress risers in the strands themselves. The thought is that the strands will form a hard, 90 degree bend around the abrupt change in diameter going from a single to double rope (the buried end). In reality, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@mrblaine Did I forget that we tapered?
We always taper. There are two issues with the hard end. The first is the stress riser and the second is how it loads the strands. The inner strands load differently than the outer layer and that creates a point under high load to start breaking individual stands and eventually cause a failure.

Reactions: Mike_H and toximus
Damn zinc coatings just don't suffice back east. We're they making noise?

Damn zinc coatings just don't suffice back east. We're they making noise?

No noise except maybe one in the front (the noise just started about a month ago). I noticed that they've been difficult to move around by hand and figured it was time for a regreasing.