Redux

I've been doing a few each day after work at a pretty lazy pace which has been kind of fun actually.

Here's a super dry joint:

IMG_20200830_170802.jpg

This accelerated wear is all from the road salt in the winter?

I'm not really sure. The joints on the axle end are worse than the frame end which could be due to salt spray down low coming off the front tires. It could also be due to how many water crossings this Jeep has done washing off the grease. I talked to Blaine about this and he's had some look like this too. I suspect most people just run them and don't worry about them so they never open them up to look inside.

The AC recharge appointment finally arrived! Unfortunately an o-ring must have gotten nicked since it wouldn't hold vacuum, but after that was replaced it's all good now!

Has anyone priced out a full AC recharging setup? Is it worth having?

With the front axle drooped out I discovered that the Currie steering hits the antiswaybar rod end. There's a few marks on on the tie rod end showing that this apparently has happened file driving. I've been wanting to dial in more caster anyway, so I rolled the axle back to add more caster which also gave more room between them. They still touch and I don't want to pull the axle back further, so I think I'll be using Black Magic Brake's antisway bar relocation brackets.

IMG_20200906_113908.jpg

For some reason the front JohnnyJoints stunk when I opened them. It looked like there was several types of grease in them.

IMG_20200906_124634.jpg

Rebuilding the front end solved the noise that started over the last few months.

I need to bring the tires in to Discount Tire for balancing sometime before winter.

Reactions: Feralkid
I am a big fan of Fluid Film, I do the underside of my jeep and truck twice a year, but I also use CRC corrosion protection, marine grade. It has been tested by individuals (not CRC) in a salt bath and holds up better than most, what are your thoughts on spraying the JJ after it is all assembled with the CRC?

I am a big fan of Fluid Film, I do the underside of my jeep and truck twice a year, but I also use CRC corrosion protection, marine grade. It has been tested by individuals (not CRC) in a salt bath and holds up better than most, what are your thoughts on spraying the JJ after it is all assembled with the CRC?
Am I reading that right, you apply both fluid film and CRC?

With the front axle drooped out I discovered that the Currie steering hits the antiswaybar rod end. There's a few marks on on the tie rod end showing that this apparently has happened file driving. I've been wanting to dial in more caster anyway, so I rolled the axle back to add more caster which also gave more room between them. They still touch and I don't want to pull the axle back further, so I think I'll be using Black Magic Brake's antisway bar relocation brackets.

View attachment 188300

For some reason the front JohnnyJoints stunk when I opened them. It looked like there was several types of grease in them.

View attachment 188346

Rebuilding the front end solved the noise that started over the last few months.

I need to bring the tires in to Discount Tire for balancing sometime before winter.
jjvw had the same contact point , no? what abut increasing that bend like he did?

LPS works well too. we coat steel going overseas on 2month long ocean voyages. it's a heavy waxxy coating.

Am I reading that right, you apply both fluid film and CRC?
I use the CRC in places where the Fluid Film may not provide enough protection (it tends to wash off more readily than the CRC). So I spray the CRC up into the torque boxes, inside the frame rails, etc. The FF I spray (I bought the spray gun and buy FF by the gallon, way cheaper) under the entire vehicle, most especially in the wheel wells, all around the brake lines, and just overall coat the underside of the body..... I wish I would have done it from the day I bought the LJ brand new....

Reactions: Apparition
edited because i have my head up my ass this morn and forgot this is not the red rig.

Last edited:
.i know i asked about these relocation brackets when i saw jjvw used them. i had to pass as it was stated it may not have enough offset for my wider axles. but the other issue would have been the location of my TB axle mount on the C.
can anyone verify the distance off the tube forward to the inside of the bend. unless i'm mistaken again he has a similar mount on the C. if the bend is beyond his TB joint he can get around it, but could require some cut n fit to avoid it on the C.

On a stock axle, the BMB brackets put the sway bar links at the same width as stock, just a bit higher and without as much stuff occupying the space below. If the inner C's sit wider than stock, then the lower ends of the links will also be wider.

On a stock axle, the BMB brackets put the sway bar links at the same width as stock, just a bit higher and without as much stuff occupying the space below. If the inner C's sit wider than stock, then the lower ends of the links will also be wider.
this is what i'm talkin about. unless things have changed, this it looks a little crowded. maybe i'm mistaken ...sorry if thats the case, and disregard.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...story.9956/page-17#lg=attachment69122&slide=0