Redux

Whatever.
At your 15th year in military, you can redux. Take a 10% cut in retirement for $15k.

it would take only 5 years of full retirement to make up the 15k. Totally not worth it.

I see that word redux. Makes the eye twitch. No don’t do it!

but in this case yah buddy. Redux to your heart’s content

At your 15th year in military, you can redux. Take a 10% cut in retirement for $15k.

it would take only 5 years of full retirement to make up the 15k. Totally not worth it.

I see that word redux. Makes the eye twitch. No don’t do it!

but in this case yah buddy. Redux to your heart’s content
Thanks for explaining. I had zero context.

I'm still not seeing any trend between high quality and low quality oil in this engine.

khaki tj oil report 2021.01.26.png

• Haha
Reactions: B00mb00m
I need a reverse terminal battery on my Red LJ (LS engine puts the battery against the fender) so the Khaki TJ got an upgrade in time for winter!

20210921_121543.jpg

I also changed the engine oil the other day so expect an update from Blackstone in the coming weeks.

I need a reverse terminal battery on my Red LJ (LS engine puts the battery against the fender) so the Khaki TJ got an upgrade in time for winter!

View attachment 278517

I also changed the engine oil the other day so expect an update from Blackstone in the coming weeks.
glad your feeling well enough to get a few things done.

glad your feeling well enough to get a few things done.

Me too! It's been so nice to be able to enjoy the last few days of Summer/Fall. It's definitely still in a putzing kind of way as I build back muscle but I'm persistent on getting back out there! (not being able to walk much further than across the house for 2+ months sure takes a toll on oneself).

Unfortunately I missed the last oil change by about 1k miles as a result. :(

Reactions: someguysjeep
Great to hear from you. How are you doing these days, Tox?

I'm doing pretty well. I've started working on the Jeeps a little bit again but I can only put in a few hours before I'm physically tired. I'm going to keep pushing through and am hoping to get back my energy to work all day again.

I changed the engine oil and checked all the fluids.

The RMS leak has gotten worse and is leaking about 1qt every 2000-3000 miles. I decided to keep a close eye on it and wait until Spring to deal with it since I'd like to degrease the pan with the hose outside beforehand.

The steering fluid was a little low but no leaks. It's been fine for the last 20k miles so I'm going to keep a close eye on it too.

20211112_163410.jpg

The rearview mirror fell off so I reattached the button with the Permatex kit.

20211112_172347.jpg

Finally, the rear brake bleeders have required tapping a socket on to them for as long as we've had this Jeep. They finally got to a point where they're pretty messed up so I replaced them while I could still get them off.

20211114_140339.jpg

Reactions: MichaelGH
I changed the engine oil and checked all the fluids.

Report from that oil change.

1638813449807.png

I still don't see any indication that a better oil is actually any better in the 4.0L. My best guess as to why it had bad reports at the beginning is that a previous owner (before Chris) didn't change the oil. So every oil change since has been flushing it out.

The first oil I ran through the engine Feb-May 2019 was Walmart 5w30 full synthetic, it was the cheapest again, so that's what's currently in the engine. It'll be interesting to see how the next report compares to that first report. After that, it might be interesting to see Amsoil run through it to verify that the engine has similar wear with a better oil. If it's all the same, I might buy some high zinc oil to also test the claims that it's better in these engines.

Last edited:
Report from that oil change.

View attachment 294838

I still don't see any indication that a better oil is actually any better in the 4.0L. My best guess as to why it had bad reports at the beginning is that a previous owner (before Chris) didn't change the oil. So every oil change since has been flushing it out.

The first oil I ran through the engine Feb-May 2019 was Walmart 5w30 full synthetic, it was the cheapest again, so that's what's currently in the engine. It'll be interesting to see how the next report compares to that first report. After that, it might be interesting to see Amsoil run through it to verify that the engine has similar wear with a better oil. If it's all the same, I might buy some high zinc oil to also test the claims that it's better in these engines.
I love to see someone actually testing the claims that one oil is/isn't better than the other

#SCIENCE

I love to see someone actually testing the claims that one oil is/isn't better than the other

#SCIENCE

If you understand how the various oils are made, Amsoil is definitely one of (if not the) best from a lubricity, additives, and longevity standpoint. I'd have absolutely no concerns running their engine oil in anything including the 4.0L. That said, the 4.0L is an older engine design with looser tolerances than a modern engine and I don't want to run extended oil changes due to concerns of water contamination offroad. So far, I just don't see that Amsoil has anything special to offer this engine.

The cold pour point of 5w30 and 10w30 is also significant in our subfreezing climate. This can be easily tested just by pouring a bottle of each that's been left outside. The 4.0L also makes more noise with a cold start when it's filled with 10w30. I won't be doing any more winter testing with 10w30 but I could see testing synthetic 5w30 vs conventional 5w30.

Now, if you supercharge the 4.0L, engine swap, etc. The parameters that you're putting the engine through change. So I wouldn't consider the testing here to extend outside of the stock 4.0L.

To better understand what Amsoil can do with a synthetic, look at their Saber 2-stroke oil. Amsoil provides the same protection mixed at 100:1 as conventional does at 50:1.

If you understand how the various oils are made, Amsoil is definitely one of (if not the) best from a lubricity, additives, and longevity standpoint. I'd have absolutely no concerns running their engine oil in anything including the 4.0L. That said, the 4.0L is an older engine design with looser tolerances than a modern engine and I don't want to run extended oil changes due to concerns of water contamination offroad. So far, I just don't see that Amsoil has anything special to offer this engine.

The cold pour point of 5w30 and 10w30 is also significant in our subfreezing climate. This can be easily tested just by pouring a bottle of each that's been left outside. The 4.0L also makes more noise with a cold start when it's filled with 10w30. I won't be doing any more winter testing with 10w30 but I could see testing synthetic 5w30 vs conventional 5w30.

Now, if you supercharge the 4.0L, engine swap, etc. The parameters that you're putting the engine through change. So I wouldn't consider the testing here to extend outside of the stock 4.0L.

To better understand what Amsoil can do with a synthetic, look at their Saber 2-stroke oil. Amsoil provides the same protection mixed at 100:1 as conventional does at 50:1.
That's wild on the 2-stroke oil!

I think a synth vs conventional oil test of the same brand would be good to see. How many different oils have you run so far, just the walmart 5w-30 and the Penzoil 10w-30?

I think a synth vs conventional oil test of the same brand would be good to see. How many different oils have you run so far, just the walmart 5w-30 and the Penzoil 10w-30?
I used to run the 100:1 in my Banshee. Great oil, minimized the smoke too. I run their 50:1 now cause I buy it at the store instead of order cases from them.

Those, and:
  • Pennzoil 10w30 conventional I had laying around in the garage that somebody gave me years ago.
  • Mobil 1 5w30 that I drained out of my new LS3 crate engine.
  • Valvoline 5w30 high mileage
  • I think I also had mix of Amsoil 5w30 and leftover quart of Valvoline 5w30 at one point too.

I used to run the 100:1 in my Banshee. Great oil, minimized the smoke too. I run their 50:1 now cause I buy it at the store instead of order cases from them.

If you ever need some, Lube Suppliers sells pennies above cost and ships any size order for free if you join the Wisconsin Car Enthusiast Club on Facebook (free). (800) 243-5657

I really hate how Amsoil has all of their resellers with different pricing which feels untrustworthy and just makes their product look like snakeoil.

Reactions: Apparition