Refurbishing stock seat brackets and seats

Who all has somewhat refurbished their seat brackets and or seat frames? My passenger and driver seat brackets both rattle when driving and the driver side seat squeaks from the back piece.

I know the bushings on passenger side are the culprit and found the thread showing a good replacement bushing from Lowe’s. I’ll tackle that but am wondering if anyone knows the common issue associated with the drivers side not tilt bracket.

I plan to remove the seat cloth soon and find there the squeak in the seat is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who all has somewhat refurbished their seat brackets and or seat frames? My passenger and driver seat brackets both rattle when driving and the driver side seat squeaks from the back piece.

I know the bushings on passenger side are the culprit and found the thread showing a good replacement bushing from Lowe’s. I’ll tackle that but am wondering if anyone knows the common issue associated with the drivers side not tilt bracket.

I plan to remove the seat cloth soon and find there the squeak in the seat is coming from.

When I replaced my seats, I cleaned everything up and hit the bracket with some paint. There is now an offering for replacement bushings, I'll find and post them in a minute.

Reactions: Maroonandwhite
Reactions: Serbonze
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@Chris is there a sticky or a how-to with common maintenance parts? I'm thinking things like these bushings, maybe u-joints, ball joints, thermostat?

I may have just missed it...

The upper bushing sits on the lower bushing, they work together. There is a picture of it in the thread on JF.

I may need to tackle this as well. Driver seat is squeaking.

Do you have the tilt on the driver side? These bushings are for the tilt seats only but my non tilt is also making some noise. Thinking I may need to tighten something up but I will know this weekend when I tear it all out. I’ll try to take some pics.

Do you have the tilt on the driver side? These bushings are for the tilt seats only but my non tilt is also making some noise. Thinking I may need to tighten something up but I will know this weekend when I tear it all out. I’ll try to take some pics.

No, my driver seat is non-tilt. It almost sounds like the seat frame is cracked and chirping when I hit bumps or shift my butt while seated. Moving the seat forward sometimes quiets it down temporarily.

Ordered a set of the StableSeat parts @Serbonze posted above and got them today. Website says 1-3 week lead time and it was about two weeks.

I had made some washers for the lower torx bolt already, but was missing the upper bushing. The upper bushing fit well and sits on the torx bolt as the original did.

Reactions: Serbonze
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.

I have stripped the seats from my wife's XJ down to the bare frames (same seats as the TJ, if I recall correctly). Her driver's side ended up with the "gansta lean", as the seat back frame had broken around the welds. I took the frames to a buddy's shop, where I had him weld reinforcement braces in, and did the same at what I perceived to be any other weak points. I had him do the same with the passenger side, as I found evidence of cracking in basically the same area as the driver's side. I've seen wrecking yard rigs that had the same seat issues, so it might be somewhat common? I don't know. If you or your passenger is on the larger/heavier side, such as I am, then it might be a good idea to do the added bracing. Like all suggestions, you can take it or leave it. I don't claim to be an expert at anything.