Seat noise

jchadscud

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
See video, this is just with me pushing down on it by hand. Much noisier when sitting in the seat and making turns, start and stop.

I didn’t see anything that needed tightening. I’m guessing maybe a weld or something has failed. Any ideas?

Mine does the same thing. I kept thinking it was creaky suspension and lubed everything to no avail. Then I finally figured out it was the seat bracketry. Lubed it all up but didn't really help.

http://jeepforum/forum/f9/plastic-washer-bushing-slider-bolt-front-seat-4238058/

maybe this would help? I just took the bolt out on one side and replaced the bushing with a flat washer and it stopped. I don't adjust the passenger side seat a whole lot so.......
attachment.jpg

That link didn’t work for me. Is there supposed to be a plastic bushing that the track rides on? I’ll have to see if I can find it in the FSM.

This is the driver side seat and I’d like to retain the fold forward feature.

From your picture it looks like I’m missing plastic/poly bushings on both of those metal pieces. Does anyone have a picture of what these are supposed to look like and any idea where I can order them?

Ok found a bush fix, it was on another forum and when I tried to link it starred out, so guess that’s prohibited.

Copied and pasted the info:

//////////////////////////////////////////////
Okay, hopefully the pics will be somewhat self explanatory.

Pic 01 shows the problem nylon bushing that the fold and tumble seat rides on.

Pic 02 shows the assortment of washers and bushings I bought from Ace Hardware(where I always wind up because Fastenal and Grainger doesn't have it).

Pic 03 shows 3 things: Orange area will need to be ground off until bushing is even with bolt head. Red area shows where seat would ride "if" you grind off the blue area. Blue area is where my seat rides now(once that area gets worn, I will remove bolt and grind it down so seat rides in red area).

Pic 04 shows the bushing after grinding off orange area so that it is even with bolt head.

Pic 05 shows the bolt with new bushing installed on seat(tension bushing is now resting on the shoulder of my new bushing rather than bolt head).

It takes less than an hour to replace all 4 bushings, 2 on each seat.

b731f656b0cb6e556e69c56e9a097b4b.jpg

b5046c9bc683d5b0d580b3fcc9754842.jpg

f888682335edb355d47ddc48d1bb24ec.jpg

c6ad74e89bee346b728edd6b6b8d78f5.jpg

779301ab231305d0c56f06cc8c58c189.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Good question! I don’t have them in either of the two locations in the photo. They are also missing on the seat side nearest the console and same on passenger seat.

I can only assume they wore out and fell off under previous ownership.

I still haven’t figured out what the top one does. The bottom one makes sense.

Alright was able to fix this today, you’ll need the shoulder washer with the specifics listed in the pic below. Was able to find them in Black so I didn’t bother shaving it down to the width of the torx bolt. The inside diameter is a bit too small so you’ll need a 27/64 drill bit to get it to the right size. It’s actually 10mm ID, but I couldn’t find a drill bit in that size. Worked great, it’s a perfect fit.

No more noise!

d33366798d566a2cbd903b48fe233b48.jpg

Ive been meaning to replace mine for a few years now, just havent gotten around to it. Curious how well the bushings from Ace hold up after a year or so

Ive been meaning to replace mine for a few years now, just havent gotten around to it. Curious how well the bushings from Ace hold up after a year or so

I would upgrade all with lathe cut bushings out of impact derlin, same material used used for motorcycle frame sliders.

I just ordered a set of bushings from a guy on Etsy. His product is called StableSeat. https://www.etsy.com/listing/600778020/stableseat-97-02-2-seat-bushingwasher?ref=hp_rv

I should get them soon and I will post them installed and how they work.

Mike

Mike!!

OMG, those are 3D printed parts. In the best case scenario they are printed from ABS plastic instead of the usual PLA. In the case of the ABS, they will last a bit longer not but long at all. Even the high end printers I have at work ($800K) do not print material strong enough to hold up long in places where they rub or get bumped. It looks like those were printed using the home built, garden variety printer "fused deposition, as in extruded layered plastic". That printer is not even that well adjusted. The parts manufactured that way are even weaker, break apart into layers and in case of PLA: biodegrade and deform under sunlight. Nylon is not going to do much better either, I would stay away from those.

Look at the printer I use and the quality of the print I am talking about, still no good!
20180907_111159.jpg
20180907_111239.jpg

Cheers

Last edited: