Regearing from 3.55 to 4.56 and adding ARB rear air locker

Filthyoutage

As the title says, I am having my rear dana 44 re-geared from the factory 3.55 gears to 4.56. I am also adding in an ARB air locker at the same time. What arb locker do i buy? The part numbers i have been given are RD116 3.92 & up or RD117 3.73 & down. I’m still figuring out how everything works so feel free to educate me, cheers

Concur with the RD116. Make sure the shop cuts the slots in the tubes (rear axle) for gear oil return... This is very important.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
With your 33's and 3-speed automatic transmission I'd go with 4.10 for your 33's. If you are going to 35's 4.56 would be a great choice.

I have the 4.0 w/ 3 speed and 4.56. The rpms run high on the highway - I keep it under 60 so she doesn't climb too far over 3k.
Absolute beast on the trail though!

I have the 4.0 w/ 3 speed and 4.56. The rpms run high on the highway - I keep it under 60 so she doesn't climb too far over 3k.
Absolute beast on the trail though!
That's what my rpms were with 35's and the 32RH with 4.88 after converting from the OE 5-speed manual transmission.

The engine will run fine and last a long time at any rpm you can stand driving at lol. I slowed down a bit after converting to the 32RH with my 35's and 4.88 gearing but not for the engine's sake. 😊

The engine will run fine and last a long time at any rpm you can stand driving at lol. I slowed down a bit after converting to the 32RH with my 35's and 4.88 gearing but not for the engine's sake. 😊
Jerry, in your opinion and experience with your previous TJ what would the downside of 4.88 with the 32rh with 35s be? Is it just the higher RPMs at highways speeds? I am trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88 myself.

If it's a pure offroad TJ 4.88 would be fine but 4.56 would be better for even limited pavement use. Don't forget the 32RH's torque converter already gives you an infinitely low 1st gear ratio for crawling on very tough trails so you really wouldn't see a significant (if any) difference in 4Lo between the two ratios.

If it's a pure offroad TJ 4.88 would be fine but 4.56 would be better for even limited pavement use. Don't forget the 32RH's torque converter already gives you an infinitely low 1st gear ratio for crawling on very tough trails so you really wouldn't see a significant (if any) difference in 4Lo between the two ratios.

Thanks!

you really wouldn't see a significant (if any) difference in 4Lo between the two ratios.

Only more compression braking down long hills.the auto likes to run away. Its one of the only times the manual is better offroad.

I have a lot of mountain logging roads nearby that smoke the brakes on an auto after a few miles trying to match the engine braking of a manual in first. This is hunting,not really wheeling.

Crazy how hot brakes can get even at only a couple miles an hour if you need to stay on them