Regearing from 4.88 to Revolution Gear's new 5.38... sweet!

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
I just completed the regearing of my Rubicon from the miserable 4.88's to 5.38 and wow, what a nice improvement in its overall performance.

My TJ never performed well with its 4.88 gears with 35” tires and the 42RLE 4-speed automatic transmission. The problem being the transmission’s overly steep .69 Overdrive ratio that lowers the highway engine RPMs too much. The engine was always either lugging or on the verge of lugging on the freeway with 4.88 gears. While livable, it was a pig of a combination. Neither the engine nor the transmission was happy cruising on the highway with that combination.

5.13 gearing was attractive but there wasn’t enough difference between it and 4.88 to get serious. What finally convinced me it was time to regear was when Revolution Gear introduced 5.38 gears for the Rubicon’s Dana 44 axles. No one else is making 5.38's for the TJ Rubicon, RGA is the only game in town.

I was stoked when these boxes showed up on my porch.

WT06lVz.jpg

jFMbgri.jpg

Note the ‘Thick’ ring gear designation on the label. That means they fit and work with the Rubicon lockers made to work with higher (lower number) ratios. A conventional non-thick 5.38 ring gear will not work with the TJ Rubicon lockers.

yRyxY8h.jpg

Never having regeared an axle before today, an experienced friend, Jody Self, offered his assistance. Thank you Jody! This was a driveway regear job, no fancy shop is needed.

vCuDDhU.jpg

The only specialized tools required include a press for the new bearings, bearing puller, dial indicator for the backlash setting, a ½” torque wrench, and an inch-lbs. beam-style ¼” torque wrench for setting the pinion bearing preload.

For those who have never seen under your differential cover, here you go. That rubber hose on the right is for the Rubicon’s air locker.

BvN6twv.jpg

After removing the carrier, the existing pinion gear depth was measured using the bearing cap seating surface as a reference point. That gave a very good preliminary depth from which to set the new pinion gear depth. Setting the pinion gear depth involves shimming it in/out with shims included in the master install kit.

d7WbmJA.jpg

This shows initial pinion depth measurements, we’re measuring down to the thousandth of an inch.

QYH8gPP.jpg

It requires a bearing puller to pull the carrier and pinion bearings off. The bearings have a TIGHT fit so they require a bearing puller powered by an impact wrench. It takes a while for the bearing to finally come off even with this setup.

UdmfQxG.jpg

This is the master install kit which includes everything needed… pinion and carrier bearings, ring gear bolts, pinion seal, shims, gear marking compound, pinion nut, and Loctite for the new ring gear bolts.

jshTZVt.jpg

The empty housing.

2OFGYu0.jpg

Installing the ring gear requires Loctite be applied to the new ring gear bolts. That prevents the bolts from backing out which can destroy pretty much everything inside the housing. Some use blue Loctite but we used red which is more secure. Revolution's ring gear fit over the Rubicon locker snugly/perfectly without needing to heat the ring gear and freeze the locker/carrier as some require.

8slRyh4.jpg

Pressing the pinion bearings.

zh9umwS.jpg

Reinstalling the Rubicon locker reuses the Rubicon's OE carrier shims to position it left/right to create the right amount of backlash between the gears. Too little backlash between them can cause insufficient lubrication between the gears and damage the tooth surfaces, too much backlash reduces strength. We ended up with the backlash being right on at .008, same as it was originally.

This pic shows using a brass punch to tap in the shim. Using brass here eliminates damage to the shim. Just be careful you get the same shims back in the same sides they came out of.

i8qXzIq.jpg

Painting the gear marking compound onto the gear teeth.

3ZouH4j.jpg

The initial test pattern was nearly perfect and "good enough" but adding .002 would make it perfect so that's what was done.

71sx25S.jpg

Part of the setup procedure requires setting the pinion bearing preload which requires a small 1/4" drive in-lbs. bar-indicator torque wrench. Revolution specifies between 14 and 19 inch-lbs. of resistance required to rotate the pinion gear. We ended up right at 18 inch-lbs.

spvqzJ3.jpg

Checking the final backlash between the gears. Revolution Gear specified .006 to .010, we ended up at .008.

dTNqTlU.jpg

One thing about the Rubicon’s locker and sensor, you have to pay attention to getting the carrier and sensor situated correctly together. With help from Brook at RGA and danb303 and TJR238 here on JF, I used the “toothpick” technique to fully extend the sensor's pin out far enough to clear and avoid damage while inserting the locker back into the housing.

Once the locker is back in place after the final pattern and preload adjustments have been completed, you pull the toothpick out with the fishing line tied to it. That releases the sensor to seat properly behind the locker’s actuator plate. However, this is only a concern if you have a Rubicon.

Px4od04.jpg

wvai3ou.jpg

With that we buttoned the axles up and I’ve been busy breaking the new gears in per RGA’s break-in procedure. I’m now at the point I can cruise at highway speeds with an upcoming change at 500 miles from the break-in conventional 85w-140 gear lube to the final conventional 85W-140 as recommended by Revolution Gear. Be sure to only use a conventional gear lube here as specified by Revolution. Use of a synthetic here can and will cause accelerated gear wear.

All in all, getting the patterns perfect was easier than expected. We really only had one iteration of shimming so on the second shim combination, Jody pronounced the pattern perfect on both the drive and coast side of the gears.

Driving it has been a joy with the new higher RPMs. At 70 mph, I’m now roughly 2600 RPMs and it’s hard to describe it but the engine is truly obviously running better. No lugging now with the 5.38 gearing, it’s now as close to perfect as can be with the Rubicon lockers which limit just how low the gearing can be. It's so cool having that new 5.38 ratio available now, what an improvement it made.

A big thanks to Brook at Revolution Gear and Jody Self for all your help! www.revolutiongear.com

WT06lVz.jpg

jFMbgri.jpg

yRyxY8h.jpg

vCuDDhU.jpg

BvN6twv.jpg

d7WbmJA.jpg

QYH8gPP.jpg

UdmfQxG.jpg

jshTZVt.jpg

2OFGYu0.jpg

8slRyh4.jpg

zh9umwS.jpg

i8qXzIq.jpg

3ZouH4j.jpg

71sx25S.jpg

spvqzJ3.jpg

Px4od04.jpg

wvai3ou.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, Jerry. I have only set up mine with the Revo gear but they set up easily and patterned very nicely. They cut a nice gear set.

I used that same bar tq wrench for my re-gear, worked great. At the shop we had a Snap On dial wrench but no way was dropping nearly 300 bucks was worth it for a few gear swaps.

Reactions: StG58
I just completed the regearing of my Rubicon from the miserable 4.88's to 5.38 and wow, what a nice improvement in its overall performance.

My TJ never performed well with its 4.88 gears with 35” tires and the 42RLE 4-speed automatic transmission. The problem being the transmission’s overly steep .69 Overdrive ratio that lowers the highway engine RPMs too much. The engine was always either lugging or on the verge of lugging on the freeway with 4.88 gears. While livable, it was a pig of a combination. Neither the engine nor the transmission was happy cruising on the highway with that combination.

5.13 gearing was attractive but there wasn’t enough difference between it and 4.88 to get serious. What finally convinced me it was time to regear was when Revolution Gear introduced 5.38 gears for the Rubicon’s Dana 44 axles. No one else is making 5.38's for the TJ Rubicon, RGA is the only game in town.

I was stoked when these boxes showed up on my porch.

View attachment 24960
View attachment 24961

Note the ‘Thick’ ring gear designation on the label. That means they fit and work with the Rubicon lockers made to work with higher (lower number) ratios. A conventional non-thick 5.38 ring gear will not work with the TJ Rubicon lockers.

View attachment 24962

Never having regeared an axle, an experienced friend, Jody Self, offered to set the gears up for me. This was a driveway regear job, no fancy shop is needed.

View attachment 24963

The only specialized tools required include a press for the new bearings, bearing puller, dial indicator for the backlash setting, a ½” torque wrench, and an inch-lbs. beam-style ¼” torque wrench for setting the pinion bearing preload.

For those who have never seen under your differential cover, here you go. That rubber hose on the right is for the Rubicon’s air locker.

View attachment 24964

After removing the carrier, the existing pinion gear depth was measured using the bearing cap seating surface as a reference point. That gave a very good preliminary depth from which to set the new pinion gear depth. Setting the pinion gear depth involves shimming it in/out with shims included in the master install kit.

View attachment 24965

This shows initial pinion depth measurements, we’re measuring down to the thousandth of an inch.

View attachment 24966

It requires a bearing puller to pull the carrier and pinion bearings off. The bearings have a TIGHT fit so they require a bearing puller powered by an impact wrench. It takes a while for the bearing to finally come off even with this setup.

View attachment 24967

This is the master install kit which includes everything needed… pinion and carrier bearings, ring gear bolts, pinion seal, shims, gear marking compound, pinion nut, and Loctite for the new ring gear bolts.

View attachment 24968

The empty housing.

View attachment 24969

Installing the ring gear requires Loctite be applied to the new ring gear bolts. That prevents the bolts from backing out which can destroy pretty much everything inside the housing. Some use blue Loctite but we used red which is more secure. Revolution's ring gear fit over the Rubicon locker snugly/perfectly without needing to heat the ring gear and freeze the locker/carrier as some require.

View attachment 24970

Pressing the pinion bearings.

View attachment 24971

Reinstalling the Rubicon locker reuses the Rubicon's OE carrier shims to position it left/right to create the right amount of backlash between the gears. Too little backlash between them can cause insufficient lubrication between the gears and damage the tooth surfaces, too much backlash reduces strength. We ended up with the backlash being right on at .008, same as it was originally.

This pic shows Jody using a brass punch to tap in the shim. Using brass here eliminates damage to the shim. Just be careful you get the same shims back in the same sides they came out of.

View attachment 24972

Painting the gear marking compound onto the gear teeth.

View attachment 24973

The initial test pattern was nearly perfect and "good enough" but Jody decided adding .002 would make it perfect so that's what was done. His experience really was the key to getting it right, thank you Jody!

View attachment 24974

Part of the setup procedure requires setting the pinion bearing preload which requires a small 1/4" drive in-lbs. bar-indicator torque wrench. Revolution specifies between 14 and 19 inch-lbs. of resistance required to rotate the pinion gear. We ended up right at 18 inch-lbs.

View attachment 24975

One thing about the Rubicon’s locker and sensor, you have to pay attention to getting the carrier and sensor situated correctly together. With help from Brook at RGA, I used the “toothpick” technique to fully extend the sensor's pin out far enough to clear and avoid damage while inserting the locker back into the housing.

Once the locker is back in place after the final pattern and preload adjustments have been completed, you pull the toothpick out with the fishing line tied to it. That releases the sensor to seat properly behind the locker’s actuator plate. However, this is only a concern if you have a Rubicon.

View attachment 24976
View attachment 24977

With that we buttoned the axles up and I’ve been busy breaking the new gears in per RGA’s break-in procedure. I’m now at the point I can cruise at highway speeds with an upcoming change from the break-in gear lube to the final 85W-140 as recommended by Revolution Gear.

All in all, getting the patterns perfect was easier than expected. We really only had one iteration of shimming so on the second shim combination, Jody pronounced the pattern perfect on both the drive and coast side of the gears.

Driving it has been a joy with the new higher RPMs. At 70 mph, I’m now roughly 2600 RPMs and it’s hard to describe it but the engine is truly obviously running better. No lugging now with the 5.38 gearing, it’s now as close to perfect as can be with the Rubicon lockers which limit just how low the gearing can be. It's so cool now having that ratio available, what an improvement it made.

A big thanks to Brook at Revolution Gears and Jody Self for all your help! www.revolutiongear.com
Looks great! I just finished my gear break in for my Revolution gears.

Is there even such a thing as a gear break in? I’ve heard some swear to it, while others just dismiss it as a myth. I wonder...?
It's always better for the gears to break them in properly. They're not broken in when you buy a new vehicle of course but they'd be better off if people broke in their new vehicles like used to be recommended. I think factories just stopped recommending it because it was too much trouble for most new car buyers. No manufacturer wanted to be the only one recommending driving slowly at certain intervals when others didn't.

This is Revolution Gear's recommended procedure...

Ring and Pinion Break in Procedure

When installing a new ring and pinion it is recommended to properly break in the new components. The proper break in procedure will extend the life of the components and help with the prevention of premature failure usually caused by extreme heat.
Although your new ring and pinion is “Lapped” from the factory for smooth quiet operation, they will still need to be broken in once they have been installed. A new ring and pinion will initially run hotter when new and can cause extensive damage if the temperature exceeds ideal operating conditions for an extended period of time. The suggested break in procedure is as follows,
• The first drive with the new ring and pinion should be under normal driving conditions (No hard starts, No racing, No off-roading, No towing and not at Highway speeds).
• The vehicle should be driven 15-20 minutes around town, normal stop and go driving. Then you should let the axle assembly “Completely Cool” (this will allow the gear oil to cool down so it does not reach temperatures that will break down the oil, causing loss of protection)
• Repeat the 10-15 minute drive and cooling off period 2-3 times
• Then you will want to drive on the highway and repeat the process at least 2 times abiding by local speed laws but not exceeding 65 MPH, be sure to let the axle assembly completely cool between drives (very important).
• Lastly you will want to change the gear oil after the initial 500-1000 miles and your gears are broken in correctly.
Note: If vehicle will be used for towing, repeat the break in procedure the first time it is used to tow.

Follow the factory service manual for recommended differential service intervals unless the vehicle is used in extreme conditions on a regular basis, you will want to service the differential more often.
(Recommended gear oil is an 85-140W, Non-Synthetic, GL5 grade or Higher, Name Brand Oil. Please note extreme weather conditions may require alternative weight oil so be sure to consult a local mechanic or lube technician for recommendations)

Is there even such a thing as a gear break in? I’ve heard some swear to it, while others just dismiss it as a myth. I wonder...?
We never did. I don't recall the gear companies even recommending it back them. Our only advisement was 500 miles before towing. But that was Randys deal, not the gear co.

Reactions: Chris
We never did. I don't recall the gear companies even recommending it back them. Our only advisement was 500 miles before towing. But that was Randys deal, not the gear co.
New-car break-in was a thing when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, I remember my dad adhering to it for the new cars he bought then. My dad told me it was for the rear axle (2wd cars) so it's not a new thing.

Randy's Ring & Pinion also recommends breaking the gears in at https://www.ringpinion.com/Technica...t/parts/ringandpinions//new_gear_break-in.inc

New-car break-in was a thing when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, I remember my dad adhering to it for the new cars he bought then. My dad told me it was for the rear axle (2wd cars) so it's not a new thing.

Randy's Ring & Pinion also recommends breaking the gears in at https://www.ringpinion.com/Technica...t/parts/ringandpinions//new_gear_break-in.inc

Not "back in the day." :D Things and ideas change no doubt. I was never given a "break in" schedule with any new car I bought but knowing better I did take it easy in the beginning.

I believe there is. We just got my wifes 2017 JKU back from dealer who installed a warranty rear axle.

We bought it new, drove about 200 miles before we hooked a 3500lb popup to it and went 400 miles to go wheelin for 3 days of level 5-6 trails. Been out wheelin half dozen times since, every time pulling the trailer.

She hit a rock and bent the diff cover just enough to cause a few drops in the driveway. I checked level before last trip and it was fine but the fluid was very dark and metallic.

Dealer was very good about it, we took it straight in Monday after the trip still covered in mud. Said that what Jeeps are for. Didn't mind dented skid plates or loose fender flare (reattached at no charge).

They did ask we go easy on the new diff for awhile, which should be no problem we have no plans until spring, haha.

Oh, we got about 8k miles it now. They did say they rarely see Dana 44 problems.

Reactions: Chris
Great write up Jerry. Thank you. This information will be very helpful when regearing my Rubicon this winter. When I do regear would also like to replace the factory axle shafts for something stronger. If I could ask what axle shafts are you running with your set up and would you go with something diffrent? Thanks

The gear sets are lapped on a special machine to match the teeth to each other. OEM sets are lapped in much longer which essentially is the same as a decent break in.

I went Revolution 5:13's with a 6 speed manual. 3500 RPm at 80 going down the interstate. What is your auto doing if you have hit 80 in it? I don't drive that speed all the time but was curious to what it would be. Thinking 4:88's would of been better for me.

I went Revolution 5:13's with a 6 speed manual. 3500 RPm at 80 going down the interstate. What is your auto doing if you have hit 80 in it? I don't drive that speed all the time but was curious to what it would be. Thinking 4:88's would of been better for me.
With my 42RLE transmission, my engine would be right at 2840 RPMs at 80 mph with the 5.38 gearing. Yep 5.13 was a bit low of a ratio choice for 35's with the 6-speed transmission. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589 and Chris
5.13 is a bit deep if you are running 80 on the hwy. 4.88 would lower rpm's by about 200, so not a huge difference. Either slow down or go 4.56, you speed demon :D
The overdrive in the auto is .69 so rpm's drop off quite a bit when it shifts into 4th/od. Your 3500 would drop to about 2800 in the auto.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford