Regearing from 4.88 to Revolution Gear's new 5.38... sweet!

I have decided to stay with 285s [and 4.10 gears, GSG370 6-speed]. The reality is I don't spend as much time off road as I would like to think and it does well enough, the 4:1 low range in the 241 helps tremendously. We are taking a road/off road trip out to Colorado next month and doing Black Bear Pass and Imogene, I think it will be fine and descents will be 1st gear low range....... thanks for the reply though!!

I think that is a great combination for how and where you use your jeep. No need to even think about re-gearing.

I have decided to stay with 285s, the reality is I don't spend as much time off road as I would like to think and it does well enough, the 4:1 low range in the 241 helps tremendously. We are taking a road/off road trip out to Colorado next month and doing Black Bear Pass and Imogene, I think it will be fine and descents will be 1st gear low range....... thanks for the reply though!!
You'll probably be fine with the 6 spd. The 4.46 1st gear is great, especially along with the 4:1 case off road. Along with the rest of the gears which make for a much smoother transition shift to shift. If you were running the auto it would be different story.

Really wish re gearing wasn't so expensive [emoji23][emoji23] as much as I'm okay with my clean stock Dana 30/35s so much more can be done with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really wish re gearing wasn't so expensive [emoji23][emoji23] as much as I'm okay with my clean stock Dana 30/35s so much more can be done with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly is not cheap but the performance per dollar is high. Gotta pay to play as the saying goes.

Brought my TJR into the shop today for a 5:38 regear. Crossing my fingers I don't end up with the dreaded regear harmonics. I've heard comments from some local club members who think 5:38's will become the fuse since they won't be as strong as lower ratio gear sets. Any experience here from 5:38 users on gear set failures?

No problems with mine, nor do I expect any.

The failure/fuse theory is based upon the belief that the 5.38 pinion is too small and/or has too few teeth. However, a side-by-side comparison of Revolution's 4.88, 5.13 and 5.38 pinion gears for the Jeep TJ Dana 44 shows that not to be the case. There is a photo that has been posted in several threads on one or more jeep forums, which I think I re-posted someplace as well.

Edit: I found the thread. I'm so embarrassed because I'm the guy who started it and it is a classic example of analysis paralysis and making an easy project difficult. It also marked the occasion of my very first telephone conversation with @mrblaine and my first experience with his version of the Socratic Method, which is to not waste time asking questions until you discover for yourself that your idea is foolish, but to tell you right up front that your idea is completely full of shit and then ask questions until your newfound knowledge becomes understanding. Unless you are not a receptive audience. In that case the call is pretty much over. :cry: Fortunately my skin is almost as thick as Blaine's and so far almost has been almost good enough. 🥴

Here is the thread on Jeep*****.com:

https://www.*********.com/forum/f9/questions-re-jantz-engineering-jana-k4-kit-jk-gears-lj-rubicon-dana-44-axles-4201610/index2.html

[Replace ********* with jeepforum]

From that thread:

Revolution first released the 5.38 Rubicon "thick" gear sets on 10/29/15, so they have been on the market for awhile.

Tooth Count:

4.88 - 8 pinion, 39 ring gear
5.13 - 8 pinion, 41 ring gear
5.38 - 8 pinion, 43 ring gear

Photo of 5.38 pinion on left, 4.88 pinion on right

RG&A Pinion Gear Comparison Photo 538 on left 488 on right.jpg

I doubt you will find any first hand reports of failures that can be proven to be in any way related to 5.38 gears acting as a fuse or because the pinion head was too small or had too few teeth.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband and Liv2Ryd
Ugh, I read your post on the topic a while back. After pouring thru pages of comments, I gathered that it's roughly a 50/50 proposition. I've said a few prayers to the TJ gods hoping they smile down on me.

I wish you luck, I am one of the lucky ones, I changed gears to 4:88, and even challenged that with a Ford 8.8 rearend change, and I didn't get any vibes, so I am sending you good vibes that you wont get any vibes at all. Good Luck!

Reactions: Liv2Ryd
One other question...has anyone found the need to shift into neutral frequently when trying to stop in 4 low? I'm asking based on a comment from a local club member.

Some people complain that they have trouble stopping with low axle ratios (5.xx) in compound low range, probably more often with the Rubicon 4.0:1 transfer case.

5.38 gears are torque multipliers. In combination with a 4.0:1 low range, another torque multiplier, if you have marginal brakes their limitations will soon be revealed.

I converted to a Vanco/Black Magic Big Brake Kit. The difference is dramatic. I no longer have to think about my brakes; I just use them.

Reactions: Liv2Ryd