Reliable Multi Function Switch Part Number

Alski

My fog lights are starting to turn on - (going on 5 years) and while I may troubleshoot it- I know it’ll be only temporary. Anyone recommend a reliable replacement part #? Rockauto has a few, and I know to avoid the crap out there. Thanks.
05, 4.0 with fogs

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I bought the Omix switch because when I was needing one that's the only one I could find in stock, no issues with it after a year

Well my turn signals and hazards wont work with the new switch installed. Noticed my left connector is a bit beat up. Do you have the part #? I’m guessing this is the cause.

1E0BAE84-878B-44FC-8524-D7E08760E206.jpeg

D1ABCBA9-243D-4014-B3B0-81C5D36C93BD.jpeg

My Fog lights stay on all the time. Swapped relay with known good relay in box, the fog lamps still stay on. Pulled the fuse, and everything is fine for now.

My drivers side head light won’t work with low beam roughly 2 weeks after pulling the fuse. Replaced headlight, but low beam will still not work. Tried old headlight on passenger side. Works great on high and low beam! I assume this is probably due to multi-function switch also?

Is OMIX Part #: 17234.19 worth the extra dollars? I also see Crown Automotive Part #: 5016709AD. I may take a look at Napa also.

Does anyone recommend Omix or Crown multi-function switch?

What would be the part number if I needed to replace the multi-function switch connector? In another thread someone used rock auto to find one. Looks like maybe they used WVE 1P1610? I believe the Mopar Part# is 5183442AA.

I appreciate any help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I spent the extra on the Omix, don't know if the extra $$ was worth it but it did look and feel like the OE switch and hasn't been an issue for the 2 years it's been in there (and my fog lights and high beams don't flash when I hit the turn signals)

When I was having problems with the OEM MFS in my ‘01 and before spending the money on a new MFS I decided to try cleaning the internal contacts with DeoxIT D5 contact cleaner which is plastic safe.
I disconnected the wiring harnesses from the MFS and removed the MFS from the steering column. Generously spray the light switch internal mechanism with the D5 and cycle the switch arm multiple times. Blow out the mechanism with pressurized air or let the mechanism sit for about 5 minutes until the contact cleaner evaporates. Reassemble and test the light switch mechanism to ensure the contacts work properly.
The cleaning of the MFS contacts has worked great for over a year now.
This contact cleaner can be purchased on Amazon…

My Fog lights stay on all the time. Swapped relay with known good relay in box, the fog lamps still stay on. Pulled the fuse, and everything is fine for now.

My drivers side head light won’t work with low beam roughly 2 weeks after pulling the fuse. Replaced headlight, but low beam will still not work. Tried old headlight on passenger side. Works great on high and low beam! I assume this is probably due to multi-function switch also?

Is OMIX Part #: 17234.19 worth the extra dollars? I also see Crown Automotive Part #: 5016709AD. I may take a look at Napa also.

What would be the part number if I needed to replace the multi-function switch connector? In another thread someone used rock auto to find one. Looks like maybe they used WVE 1P1610? I believe the Mopar Part# is 5183442AA.

I appreciate any help!

I would avoid Crown. Here’s the connector I replaced on Amazon -

Dorman 645-206​

As for the MFS - There are many aftermarket switches for TJs - I’d copy each part #, then Google it, and check the reviews on each. Some have worked well while others you need to avoid. Especially the cheap $50 ones. Unfortunately you’re paying 100-200 for a reliable one.
I just checked- the 17234.19 is in my 05 since 2019 and still going strong if that helps dude.

Last edited:

I appreciate any help!

I'm one of the ones that went with RockAuto and WVE parts:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...cs-wve-multi-function-switch-connector.72293/

Took apart column to see which MFS I had because the hazards just start flashing without the dash lights lighting up. I could be driving down the road and not even know it. All connectors look good, no hot spots. But the things you find from PO’s…

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Fulton_Hogan