Reliable winches: What do you have?

If you have ever been around a cable breaking, you will go synthetic. When I was a kid, my dad was using a cable winch for logging, a 300' long cable 1/2" snapped, it cut 3" diamater trees like a brush saw as it flung back to the cable truck...I was too young to be terrified of dying.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
If you have ever been around a cable breaking, you will go synthetic. When I was a kid, my dad was using a cable winch for logging, a 300' long cable 1/2" snapped, it cut 3" diamater trees like a brush saw as it flung back to the cable truck...I was too young to be terrified of dying.
Honestly I was thinking for weight and working with it because of kinks and shredding your hands occasionally.

I have a T-MAX 9500 wireless winch. I can’t complain since I got it for free 8-9 years ago. It’s always worked when I needed it which seems to be for everyone else. Short pulls mostly with it. Several where I had to anchor to something to not get pulled in to mud. Flipped a 70’s ford truck that was laying on its roof back on its wheels and it wasn’t really working hard.

I heard parts are hard to get since it’s an Australian winch, but I believe someone in another forum found alternatives for locally sourced solenoids in case they go out. I believe in its day it was a $500-$600 dollar winch.

No complaints , everything still works.

Reactions: Hook_62