Relocating to the PNW

Californians moving to Seattle, Seattleites moving to S.E. Washington and we are looking at northern Idaho. It is like dominos.
Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for, it is a great area to live.

B

Same here. That's my retirement destination.

As far as the Oregon coast goes, if I thought I could afford Bandon, Oregon, I'd live there. The wind and soggy weather wouldn't go over well with my wife, but I'd accept it as a small price to pay for such a beautiful little spot. I fell in love with it years ago...

Reactions: piratemonkey
WA is beautiful during the summer, but that leaves 51 weeks of hit or miss gloom . Property tax keeps rising along with the cost of living. Gas prices are also on the rise so there are a few things to consider before commiting. We sold our house here and will be moving to Texas in a month. There’s just way better tax breaks and accommodations for disabled vets there.

Reactions: Squatch
Yeah we have friends that have a 3 story townhouse w/3 car garage in San Diego and then they also bought a big house in Bend and they go back a forth.....of course big bucks from the Pharmaceutical industry needed for both places.

WA is beautiful during the summer, but that leaves 51 weeks of hit or miss gloom . Property tax keeps rising along with the cost of living. Gas prices are also on the rise so there are a few things to consider before commiting. We sold our house here and will be moving to Texas in a month. There’s just way better tax breaks and accommodations for disabled vets there.
As the more affluent move in, paying more for the homes and driving up the prices, I think you will see an exodus of the "lesser" people like me. I cannot afford to stay here after my retirement. Plus, King County's influence on the rest of the state's taxes and politics is ruining it for the folks in eastern Washington. It irks me to no end. Rant over. :mad:

As the more affluent move in, paying more for the homes and driving up the prices, I think you will see an exodus of the "lesser" people like me. I cannot afford to stay here after my retirement. Plus, King County's influence on the rest of the state's taxes and politics is ruining it for the folks in eastern Washington. It irks me to no end. Rant over. :mad:

Well said, I really Love WA too. It’s beautiful and there’s no lack of things to do or places to go.

King County raised property taxes 9-31% this year, that is insane.

King County raised property taxes 9-31% this year, that is insane.

And then they wonder why the gentrification is happening. Because even if you own your house, when they continue to raise your property taxes, it forces the average people out and only makes room for the rich and upper class people (look at San Francisco).

It’s these stupid politicians and their bullshit. Everyone has a breaking point. I love it here in Oregon, but if my property taxes got to be what they are in Multnomah County for instance, I would leave at that point.

and Jackson, Wyoming.

All the millionaires in Jackson are being pushed out by the billionaires. It's not a cheap place. Cody, Powell, Sheridan, Buffalo are all great places to live in Wyoming (and affordable). My wife and I plan on moving back to Wyo at some point, maybe in 10-15 years.

The PNW is an awesome place, if I had an opportunity there or my wife did, I doubt we would even think twice about packing up and moving there. My sister lives in Portland so I try to go at least once a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
All the millionaires in Jackson are being pushed out by the billionaires in Jackson. It's not a cheap place. Cody, Powell, Sheridan, Buffalo are all great places to live in Wyoming (and affordable). My wife and I plan on moving back to Wyo at some point, maybe in 10-15 years.

The PNW is an awesome place, if I had an opportunity there or my wife did, I doubt we would even think twice about packing up and moving there. My sister lives in Portland so I try to go at least once a year.

My wife is from Colorado, but she has a love affair with western Wyoming and would like to live there. I don't think it is in the cards for us, but when my wife wants something emotion overrules reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Californians moving to Seattle, Seattleites moving to S.E. Washington and we are looking at northern Idaho. It is like dominos.

We are in SE WA (Tri-cities) and have looked at Idaho and Oregon but both have income taxes (OR taxes capital gains) and Idaho also has a sales tax as well. I have a moderate private, non-gov't pension and will have social security so the no income tax in WA is worth a few thousand a year to me.

YMMV but look at the tax implications where you choose. Compare your taxable spending (ours is fairly low) to your taxable income to get an idea of the difference.

SE WA enjoys good weather, water, and low taxes. Seems that Western WA pays the lion share and send much of their money over here. (Sorry @Squatch but thanks.)

We are in SE WA (Tri-cities) and have looked at Idaho and Oregon but both have income taxes (OR taxes capital gains) and Idaho also has a sales tax as well. I have a moderate private, non-gov't pension and will have social security so the no income tax in WA is worth a few thousand a year to me.

YMMV but look at the tax implications where you choose. Compare your taxable spending (ours is fairly low) to your taxable income to get an idea of the difference.

SE WA enjoys good weather, water, and low taxes. Seems that Western WA pays the lion share and send much of their money over here. (Sorry @Squatch but thanks.)
Well, at least I can say I know someone in "the masses". Makes it easier to take...sorta. ;)