Removing Doors

MikeJTA

I always leave my doors on with the zip windows, but I’m ready to ride with them off completely. Guess I’m a bit witrrued about people seeing my console and glove box as easy targets... as well as rain and whatever on my dash instruments. I see enough people top less and doorless so must not be a big deal.
Probably need a safe type box for something valuable .

Reactions: glwood
I have a Bestop Instatrunk for my TJ. When I'm running with my soft top (up or down) I keep anything I have locked in the back. The only thing in the glove box is the manual, and just some junk in the center console. Neither of those are kept locked either.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and KCsTJ
I do have a metal sort of shell type thing that screws in to the back on each side....when back door closed it is a safe place to lock stuff. better put it back in. Took it out to add some room.

I leave nothing of value in my TJ, Hell, I don't even have a key to lock my half doors. at least with half doors you can toss the uppers in the back and still be able to close it up when the rain comes. I installed a the flip ur top conversion so I don't have to take the top all the way down if I don't want too.

half top.JPG

Mine is always unlocked and never leave anything in there that i can’t live without. Hard to do for everyone and may not be possible for all but I just don’t want to have something stolen from in there.

Reactions: Ron505 and glwood
Over seven years of not locking my doors. I normally have half doors on and go topless. I do not have anything left in there not even a floor mat.

I leave nothing of value in my TJ, Hell, I don't even have a key to lock my half doors. at least with half doors you can toss the uppers in the back and still be able to close it up when the rain comes. I installed a the flip ur top conversion so I don't have to take the top all the way down if I don't want too.

View attachment 37644
Interesting. The 88 Wrangler came with half doors and no lock cylinders in them or locking mechanism whatsoever from the factory. They are sought after with YJ guys.
8017F89B-BEFF-4A59-A815-B081045F19E9.jpeg
C87D6006-A6F4-4490-93FA-37D2C54CE181.jpeg

I always leave my doors on with the zip windows, but I’m ready to ride with them off completely. Guess I’m a bit witrrued about people seeing my console and glove box as easy targets... as well as rain and whatever on my dash instruments. I see enough people top less and doorless so must not be a big deal.
Probably need a safe type box for something valuable .
It's better off not leaving anything in glove box, center console, and or not installing a Tuffy box.
Just do not leave anything in there period! Unlocking it you will get used to it. That is what I do. Treat it like a dirt bike.

Nothing valuable stays in the jeep, I will take off my faceplate and lock it in the center console, but a small child or "snowflake" will still have the strength to open it.
It's hard to make a super awesome looking jeep look like you are poor and have nothing of value in it. That is why I avoid putting colorful parts, stickers, etc. on the Jeep; no need to advertise what kind of goodies are in the vehicle (Springfield Armory, etc.).
And do not leave a garage door opener in the Jeep; garage door opener + your registration/address can lead to a bit of an issue. The criminal knows where you live and has access to your home.

***Or your GPS with "Home" saved.

There will be no politicians then? They rob us and steal our money in daylight.
It’s become a legalized form of theft. I think some are genuine and want to do what’s right, but sooner or later most turn corrupt.

I go with what most have said and don't leave anything in there that's valuable....I lock my head-unit faceplate away on the centre console and have a map (saves me having to hide a GPS as well) and old gloves/beanie on the glovebox.
On a side note.... I did see something on the telly when they were interviewing an EX thief he said he would look for the mark on the window left by the sucker you need to attach a GPS, as chances are its still in the car.

I actually lock my TJ with half doors and hope if they cut they cut the doors. I think they would because why would anyone cut the top and try and reach to get in? My 1/2 door uppers aren't all that great, so I don't care if they cut them. Most of the dopes where I part don't have a knife because they would have sold it for a nickel instead of keeping it. I have a Tuffy center console that has some CD's in it and such, but nothing really. I keep my rear locked as it would be a pain to take my sub out without opening the rear. They could do it, but it wouldn't be all that easy and it is kind of heavy, so they probably don't have the muscle because they are so strung out. Now if I was in CA or Miami, I would do things very differently, They are smarter in what they do there. Around here they are super dumbed down.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I go with what most have said and don't leave anything in there that's valuable....I lock my head-unit faceplate away on the centre console and have a map (saves me having to hide a GPS as well) and old gloves/beanie on the glovebox.
On a side note.... I did see something on the telly when they were interviewing an EX thief he said he would look for the mark on the window left by the sucker you need to attach a GPS, as chances are its still in the car.
Me being not from NZ, you lost me half way with the GPS, I don't know why. :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I actually lock my TJ with half doors and hope if they cut they cut the doors. I think they would because why would anyone cut the top and try and reach to get in? My 1/2 door uppers aren't all that great, so I don't care if they cut them. Most of the dopes where I part don't have a knife because they would have sold it for a nickel instead of keeping it. I have a Tuffy center console that has some CD's in it and such, but nothing really. I keep my rear locked as it would be a pain to take my sub out without opening the rear. They could do it, but it wouldn't be all that easy and it is kind of heavy, so they probably don't have the muscle because they are so strung out. Now if I was in CA or Miami, I would do things very differently, They are smarter in what they do there. Around here they are super dumbed down.
I think you are over analyzing this way too much. Thieves has a simple short sighted mind....