Removing the cats / down pipe?

Nathan Stanfield

TJ Enthusiast
Sorry guys, I have searched here and everywhere else I can think of and I can’t even find anything.

My oil pan is leaking like crazy and maybe my rear main too, but step one is to get the exhaust off.

How in the world do you get the 4 bolts that Holt the front cats to the manifold off?
I have tried a few different wrenches and angles of attack but I can’t even get in there to try and turn the bolts.
Any wise words before I end up doing something dumb?

Thanks!!

Swivel sockets

shopping.jpg

Haha, it really is just a combination of swivel sockets, patience, and extensions. I wish there was some easy trick, but there isn't.

Reactions: Ron Hall
I made a trip to Harbor Freight.
Those 4 bolts came off insanely easy.
Thanks for the help!!!

:beer-toast1:

Strangely, every Harbor Freight and Chinesium counterpart swivel broke on me this last month! Like a weird curse or something. Wound up replacing all (6) of them with Protos.

Harbor freight sure sells junk, but sometimes it can be priceless, even though it's temporary.

I got a few 6 ton stands from tractor supply for $20 each.
They look as good as my old craftsman stands.

Exhaust and oil pan is off!!!
I will do the rest tomorrow after I get more beer.

No doubt about that. You can't argue with their $99 (retail) transmission jacks too. Had such a good experience with mine that I bought another one..

View attachment 33213

That is a really nice color.
What kind of bumper is that? I usually don't like anything but super small bumpers, but that one is really nice.

Well crap.
As I was sitting on the garage floor I noticed little black spots around the welds on the down pipe. Right around where the O2 sensor is.
I stuck a small pick through the hole and it seems to go all the way through.
I guess that explains the whistle and running rich. Plenty of soot inside the pipes.
Maybe it’s time I replace the mini cats and pipe.

Reactions: KCsTJ and jeep_boss
Replace them while your there. I needed to replace mine because of codes over winter. I ended up replacing the entire exhaust, but it was all original so I figured it was time. I paid around $750 for the mini cat pipe, the cat, and the banks exhaust. All bolt on. Search amazon for best pricing.

Just did this today, sprayed all bolts with lubricant prior, upper cats 16mm. Cats to exhaust 15mm
I used a universal joint from eBay Chinese did the job
With long extensions
Breaker bar for the cat/exhaust connection because I don’t have an impact.
sawzall and a pipe cutter rental from Autozone

Didn’t have to remove front shaft nor skid plate hardest part is removing exhaust if you’re doing that.
Went with eastern catalytic $275
And MBRP exhaust $225
This was prep work waiting on items to arrive. Gonna do rear main and oil pan In meanwhile

3A893F45-014F-4502-8B76-B181C714DA56.jpeg

DD80AAFE-644B-4BC4-866D-F2EB29827E85.jpeg

42E4611C-95A6-4A6E-A6EE-0EEAD8421B95.png

5C22B5A8-7205-4AA0-810F-D783531508BF.png

I just took mine off today also...
I was lucky as the previous owner had the front drive shaft come off and clipped the exhaust so it was removed recently. I was able to use a 15mm socket and they were all somewhat easy to remove. Just limited room to work in.
Oil pan is next to come off for the rear main seal fix.