Repainting flares, again. What 2K paint works well for better chemical resistance?

bobthetj03

Daily driver
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I searched a few repainting flare threads, but really haven't found what I was hoping to find. I've painted my flares with SEM trim black probably 3 times over the years, and the finish is fine, however, I want a finish that is more chemical resistant. No matter how careful I am, I always manage to get a drop of fuel on the rear flare when fueling up, and the SEM trim black doesn't hold up well to this. So, being an old PPG guy, I know I need a 2K finish for better chemical resistance, but I don't want to spend a small fortune buying a quart of DBC black, then a quart of low gloss clear, and all the related hardeners, reducers to go with. So, my question is has anyone tried a less expensive 2K product? I was looking at this,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186NI7LQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Eastwood also has some offerings. I could also do the Landau black and follow with a matte clear?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186NI7LQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've used some 2K epoxy primer spray cans with great success on metal (absolutly no rust on my custom ATV trailer hitch & mount stored outside for a few years), I would definitely try a 2K spray can if you want it to last. My concern would be flexibility, cracking especially if you rub a tree or rock now and then like mine will.

The only problem I've seen with the 2k spray cans is making sure you have one that isn't old. They don't seem to have a long shelf life - so something that been on a warehouse shelf for a year might not spray well.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I redid my flares with bed liner spray, spill gas on it all the time never had any problems. Just a thought or an option.

Reactions: fixmysix
PPG DCC CONCEPT holds up quite well. They Also have the hot rod black kit's. Concept can be mixed pre flattened or with the flattening agent separate so you can adjust it your self. If you want I'll post the PPG code for semi-gloss tomorrow.

Reactions: bobthetj03
What would a local shop charge to clear coat that piece? Maybe let them have it for a week or so and they can do it when the gun is loaded with the right clear. I can't imagine they would charge that much.

Prep, supplies, and clean up costs the most on a small job.
If you know someone working at the paint shop you can sometimes have them paint your part with the leftovers of another client for cheap or free.

But just prep, supplies, spray, and cleanup seems to cost at least $300 dollars for small items around here. (motorcycle tank, single door or fender type stuff)