Replaced suspension and still have death wobble

Lets also not forget that getting tire balanced down to zero says nothing about the internal condition of the tire. You can have a tire with damaged belts, have it spin perfectly on a balancer, and still have all sorts of problems once the thing is actually rolling under weight. Is road force balancing a thing for tires this size? When I was fixing cars 20 years ago we had a hunter roadforce machine that shoved a big-ass roller onto the tread while it spun to simulate the weight of the vehicle, but that was in a Lexus/Toyota shop and I never messed with big LT tires.
Good post .

I have seen a tire look perfect and have a broken belt ...it just raised all kinds of Cain .

Good post .

I have seen a tire look perfect and have a broken belt ...it just raised all kinds of Cain .
I just bought brand new tires for the front and still have death wobble. I was under my jeep looking at everything again and found a slight bit of play in my steering shaft bearing, pulled it all apart and packed it with fresh grease and now it feels tight. I also noticed that I may have bad track bar and drag link angles but I have a stock pitman arm so i'm not sure why. I haven't really noticed any bump steer though. Anyway, can bump steer cause death wobble? Also, it seems my tie rod end at the pitman arms boot as ripped. I'm gonna replace it but can the one end cause death wobble. I don't know what else to do. I thought the tires were gonna fix the problem.

IMG_7581.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg

Bad angles? I don't think so. Did you check to see if your wheels are centered on your hubs?

View attachment 151601
Well when you draw lines from each point it’s much more parallel. My wheels are lug centric and have all been torques down. I just went back to discount tire after looking at them. They threw a ton of weights on the inner bead of the rim going around like 1/3 of the rim. I asked if they could add some sticky weights too and rebalance them so they did but only used sticky weights. Some idiot kid was telling me my problem is I bought wheels for looks and that they are meant for offroading which you don’t need to balance tires for. (After he said they were cheap) Yes they are cheaper wheels compared to some. Just some basic procomps with a fake bead. I’ve already checked the runout though and the runout is all fine. Anyway, I replied no, these are actually meant for the street and a real beadlock is not DOT approved while these are. He told me well we’re going to do the best we can but you’ll probably still feel it wobble since your rims don’t allow us to get it perfect. I then told him that the proper way to balance a tire that requires too much weight is to break the bead and rotate the tire on the wheel. Anyway, after rebalancing it seems to have gotten a lot better but and so far I haven’t felt death wobble, only tire wobbles.

What is your caster angle? Not trying to argue, just asking a question. Has it been aligned on a machine to where all the numbers are dead on green?

If it was tire store guys (no offense to any here) and they did the old "set the toe and let her go" That's not good enough. I align my Jeep myself here at my work. I sit there and get all the numbers dead on. And then I swing caster and jounce the Jeep alot.

Then I swing caster again and re-check the alignment. These aren't Ferrari's, but doing a tit's Job on the alignment can make these TJ's drive waay better on the street.

I just bought brand new tires for the front and still have death wobble. I was under my jeep looking at everything again and found a slight bit of play in my steering shaft bearing, pulled it all apart and packed it with fresh grease and now it feels tight. I also noticed that I may have bad track bar and drag link angles but I have a stock pitman arm so i'm not sure why. I haven't really noticed any bump steer though. Anyway, can bump steer cause death wobble? Also, it seems my tie rod end at the pitman arms boot as ripped. I'm gonna replace it but can the one end cause death wobble. I don't know what else to do. I thought the tires were gonna fix the problem.

View attachment 151564

View attachment 151565
Look where your tie rod connects to your drag link and how elongated the hole is.

You need to check that out .

What is your caster angle? Not trying to argue, just asking a question. Has it been aligned on a machine to where all the numbers are dead on green?
Is the same rim taking a bunch of weight?
One wheel is 7.25oz and the other is about 5oz to balance to zero. The rim that needed a lot of weights before is on the back and the fix would be to pop the bead an rotate the tire but I didn't have time previously to do that so I just balanced to 0. It's different wheels. Here's a picture of the weights now. they're .25 each btw. Also, all my numbers look pretty good. Also, how would my toe affect the death wobble i've been having? On my old tj my toe was terrible and I never had any wobbles.
Look where your tie rod connects to your drag link and how elongated the hole is.

You need to check that out .
elongated hole?

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7583.jpeg

IMG_7585.jpeg

Caster looks good. Based on what you're saying about balancing, could be a wheel issue. But since it is much better, I'd lean toward balancing. It really has to be dead nuts on a TJ.

Reactions: Chasitek
Mine are definitely lug centric and have a beveled edge for the lugs. My lugs are conical so there should be no problems there.

This is my last try. A lug centric wheel can be mounted off center, especially if some tire jockey runs the first lug down tight with a impact gun. It happened to me and my wheels are not the cheapest one. If re-balancing got you down to just a tire wobble, then a wheel off center is even more likely. There is a procedure for mounting lug centric wheels. Look it up and use it. it doesn't cost anything and it's good exercise.

What the hell, you packed a worn out bearing and now if feels fine?
No, I pulled it all apart and it consists of some weird rubber bushing type things and a roller bearing that has a cut in it. It's hard to explain but basically the bearing isn't a complete ring. (take a regular bearing and then cut a line down it and that's the bearing in this thing) Weird I know. Anyway, the bearing wasn't super worn it was just super dried up in there so adding grease to everything filled out all the tight tolerances and play and made things feel so much better. A new bearing/bushing would be ideal but they can't be bought lonesome so greasing up the existing one was the next best option and it ended up working out.
This is my last try. A lug centric wheel can be mounted off center, especially if some tire jockey runs the first lug down tight with a impact gun. It happened to me and my wheels are not the cheapest one. If re-balancing got you down to just a tire wobble, then a wheel off center is even more likely. There is a procedure for mounting lug centric wheels. Look it up and use it. it doesn't cost anything and it's good exercise.
Before the new tires, I did this and there was still the wobble. I will go do this now and come back and again but I don't think this is my problem. If wheels are of center they would wobble all the time. I only have wobbles between 42mph-55ish mph and then it goes away.

Reactions: pagrey
Caster looks good. Based on what you're saying about balancing, could be a wheel issue. But since it is much better, I'd lean toward balancing. It really has to be dead nuts on a TJ.
what do you think about the weights they put on? I did watch them balance it out to 0.

Everything you've read saying the tires can't be the cause of DW is wrong. This is something I wrote some time back, see if it makes any sense...

A balanced electric motor spinning while only being loosely bolted to the work bench won't shake or vibrate. An out of balance spinning motor bolted firmly to the work bench will shake/vibrate the work bench. An out of balance spinning motor only loosely bolted to the work bench will shake the bejesus out of the work bench.

Which tire has the 10 oz. of weight on it? If it's in front move it to the rear and see what happens.

That's exactly what happened to me--driver's side front was way out of balance, got rebalanced and "ta-da", took out all the shake and wiggle, thanks to your advice! Took a large weight also.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford