Replacement Rear Axle Lower Control Arm Brackets

rasband

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
While under the Jeep for something else I noticed that I bent up my axle side lower rear control arm mount. It’s bent pretty good so I’m wondering if I can just get stronger brackets that you’d often get on the front axle for the rear or if there’s some reason they’d be off enough to matter.

Or should I just bend it back or leave it? The other side is scratched, but not as severely deformed as this one.

D88AF7FB-3108-4C50-82D3-C8A14F830EE0.jpeg

i might fix it 1 time, it gets bent again or you bend up another i'd consider something more,

a rear axle mini skid would act like a shovel unless it had a fair sized outlet at that point it's basically just a strap holding the ears from getting rolled easily.

Reactions: JMT
a rear axle mini skid would act like a shovel unless it had a fair sized outlet at that point it's basically just a strap holding the ears from getting rolled easily.
I was thinking the same about the shovel, I would probably cut that back to stay as a lateral brace but not come below the joint to act this way (assuming they were built in). Otherwise there's some other ones like these:

1631564115658.png

Reactions: AMS417
depends where those hold the bolt vs where it is right now.

i have i brace across my lower joint bracket ears, but i horseshoed that sucker back so if it did pack with crap it couldn't hold it up against the joint.

depends where those hold the bolt vs where it is right now.

i have i brace across my lower joint bracket ears, but i horseshoed that sucker back so if it did pack with crap it couldn't hold it up against the joint.
Would you mind sharing a picture if you get a chance?

i figure, if debris does get trapped and compacted it has to have room to fall free.
but i guess there is the off chance of wedging a stone if it gets caught just right too.

rear LCA brkt2.PNG

i can get 3 fingers up behind the joint into that cavity, plenty of room. but TBH my bracket is just as prone to being bent on the end of the ears, it's just a bit thicker is all. the edges of that horseshoe come close to my bolt holes and should keep spread at that point minimal and behind that not easily possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
I have similar damage on my rear lower control arm mount on the passenger side. I decided to monitor it rather than heat and bang on it and potentially stress weaken it (if that would cause that).

Pulled my rear and painted it recently and decided the control arm surface was still flat so why start banging on it...

Curious to see if you find and go with a stronger mount.

I have the control arm weld-in panels in the front. I don't see how they could be installed in the rear and prevent this type of damage.

Bend it back and weld a pair of big thick washers on either side of the mount to stiffen the mount.

Bend it back and weld a pair of big thick washers on either side of the mount to stiffen the mount.
I hadn’t considered this, but I like the idea. Now to search for the largest diameter washers in that bolt size (or close)…

i have buckets of burnouts off the laser, lots of round slugs. if you cannot find what you need lemme know the diameter and thickness your seeking and i'll see what i got.

i have buckets of burnouts off the laser, lots of round slugs. if you cannot find what you need lemme know the diameter and thickness your seeking and i'll see what i got.
2" OD x 9/16" ID x 3/16" thick. Weld completely around them, trim off the OEM mount to just the edge of the weld on the lower bit, go have fun.

Thank you for the dimensions @mrblaine - that's a much more elegant approach than replacing the whole thing.
You can measure and bump up the diameter until you run out of room on the side of the mount. Be aware that you are effectively creating a mount that is roughly 5/16" thick which makes it very hard to bend on the rocks. If you make it larger, it bends easier, if you make it smaller, you protect the joint body less. 2" is a happy medium.

man, i got lots of 1/4" and quite a bit of 1/8" but the 3/16" rounds are not as abundant.

i did find a 2" OD w/9/16" ID x 1/8". that's in the center for scale.

i do have several 2.5" OD x 3/16" blanks.
and i found these other tabs with a starter hole, i don't recall what i might have made them for, but they are 2 1/8" x 3/16".

if either help your welcome to them. i know i got more at the shop, so i'll peek when i stop in there tomrw.

241217766_398465395182463_6089198551361541155_n.jpg

Reactions: Irun and rasband
man, i got lots of 1/4" and quite a bit of 1/8" but the 3/16" rounds are not as abundant.

i did find a 2" OD w/9/16" ID x 1/8". that's in the center for scale.

i do have several 2.5" OD x 3/16" blanks.
and i found these other tabs with a starter hole, i don't recall what i might have made them for, but they are 2 1/8" x 3/16".

if either help your welcome to them. i know i got more at the shop, so i'll peek when i stop in there tomrw.

View attachment 277069
I appreciate that, I have a small sheet of scrap 3/16 I’ll just drill out - but I sincerely appreciate you checking and the offer!

Reactions: someguysjeep