Replacing carpet with spray on liner

Mine has a roll on line my ding bat brother in law did, not worth a flip either, before I bought my TJ from him.

I am looking for a carpet set to install due to the heat transfer.

My 99 had been Rhino lined before I bought it and I really like it. The Rhino liner is thicker than the roll on crap.

My cousin in Alabama used Raptor tintable over every inch of metal on his with a beautiful blue color. I was impressed. No fade, no crud collection, and he sprayed it smooth. It just has a slight orange peel look. I am planning on the Lizard Skin Ceramic (making my own it’s only glass beads with latex paint) for heat transfer then Raptor Liner. I have had my TJ without any carpet for 2 yrs. In San Antonio it is hot. I don’t have a top or doors from March to November. I want to go to the National Seashore with it which is why I want to bedtime the whole vehicle (rust protection).
I believe it is personal preference, brand and how it is applied that has the effect that polarizes so many opinions. Most home applied bedliners suck. I have used a few of them. Raptor seems to be the real deal.

Reactions: John Cooper
First you want to consider the type- urethane based products look better longer and have a tighter surface microscopically, although still textured- others fade and and tend to hold dirt.

Heat is the biggest concern- CJ era jeeps were not as mechanically dense and not as hot usually, TJs are.

I know wet carpet is awful.

Bedtred is the best option in my opinion - even if you coat it it still would be nice to have it and pull it when needed.

Don't do it. I did mine, came out really nice, looks nice, but it's no better than painted floor. Be better off to just take out the carpet and leave the painted floor if you are deadset on getting rid of the carpet.

I used herculiner (sprayed on) and it is almost impossible to get off if you ever need to. Wish I hadn't done it. Spent about an hour using an industrial blast cabinet just to remove the liner from the inside of my tailgate. Each sq inch was painstaking, and it left a very eroded and non-smooth surface after I was done. (Probably should have wire wheeled it).

Plus it traps mud and dirt, very difficult to clean.

I was going to comment that it might spray on but it doesn't "spray off". I did a bumper with herculiner once. it ended up rusting underneath.

P Man beat me to it!

Also I too live in florida. Have for 34 years. Its not going to stop raining. what about your seats etc?

Reactions: Vtx531
I'd love to do a spray in liner on mine - carpet has no place in a Jeep or truck. BUT - I've been talked out of it by folks here who are more knowledgeable - mainly due to heat transfer. I planning on "BedTred" (NOT "BedRug") eventually, its still pretty far down on the list. I too am in Florida and don't want heat transfer.

bedtread is what i replaced my carpet with and have been very pleased with it. . as you stated carpet has no place in a jeep or truck. i ordered my f 150 truck without carpet. i know me and i’ll ruin some carpet.

I am lmao! I know it was started by a guy from Washington state, but everyone missed I referenced “his”. Neither my cousin or I am from California or Washington state or any other woke place like Austin either. I didn’t see a whole lot of cousins dating cousins when visiting Alabama. Maybe cause I was visiting the big cities of Birmingham and Montgomery.

I need to ask, are y’all Alabama or Auburn?

I am lmao! I know it was started by a guy from Washington state, but everyone missed I referenced “his”. Neither my cousin or I am from California or Washington state or any other woke place like Austin either. I didn’t see a whole lot of cousins dating cousins when visiting Alabama. Maybe cause I was visiting the big cities of Birmingham and Montgomery.

I need to ask, are y’all Alabama or Auburn?

I am a Georgia transplant, but to answer your question, I am a Georgia Bulldogs fan!!

My friend has spray on liner in his TJ. Also had his seats redone in marine vinyl. Loves it. Doesn't care about interior getting wet. Says it is a bit noisier, but way better than soggy carpet. I'm likely to do the same thing for next summer.

Reactions: Zorba
Georgia Bulldog. I like it. I was asking because I had never met people more nuts about their football teams than Texas A&M until I went to Alabama. It was a wedding and the women and girls were more interested in the games than they were about setting up for the wedding. Everyone was wearing Alabama or Auburn too the whole week.

Back to what the thread was originally about….,
I really like the marine vinyl seat idea. I may do that too!

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
You could always get the Bestop seat covers, I have them and they are great!!!!! Mine have been sitting in a down pour, I walk out with a towel and wipe them dry, then drive off!¡!

I've never had carpet in mine. A previous owner sprayed in a tan DIY liner material to go with the seats and trim. The floors get a bit warm but I have rubber floor mats (from Sams Club) so there is no real direct contact. I have no issue with keeping it clean; I can vacuum it out or rinse it out with the hose. It seems to me carpet would hold more dirt and crap and be more difficult to clean. As for noise, I doubt you can tell the difference with the windows out, doors off, or top down.

If I ran with a hard top, full doors, mostly closed up daily driver, I would probably want the additional comfort and advantages of the carpet. For my preference and use, I would never consider carpet or carpet substitute. Its my fun, run around 1/2 door vehicle that rarely sees windows in from early spring to late fall.

War Damn Eagle!