Replacing fuel skid without dropping tank entirely

Kenneth G Zinis

TJ Enthusiast
Need to replace rusted skid with new (stock) unit. I'd most like to do without dropping tank any more than required. I understand some have had success slipping a nylon strap under tank to support while replacing skid.

Anyone here used this method?

Have any specific tips/suggestions/details to get under tank

Agreed. I just replaced my fuel tank skid yesterday. It’s not that bad to drop the tank. Did it myself with the help of a transmission jack in about 2 hours.

Those quick connect fuel line fittings were the biggest time consuming part.

WV Native, agree, those 20 yr-old plastic clips make me cringe. This is why I was hoping to only partially lower tank and leave fuel/emission fitting intact.

WV Native, agree, those 20 yr-old plastic clips make me cringe. This is why I was hoping to only partially lower tank and leave fuel/emission fitting intact.

I’ll admit that my thumb is sore today from mashing on the tabs trying to get them to release. I was patient and at times frustrated but they popped loose after working with them.

Mine hadn’t ever been removed and I had your same concerns when I decided to remove the tank.

I think you’ll be fine.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Yeah.. You have to fully disconnect everything because you won't get the straps off without the skid fully out of the vehicle. I just pulled mine off to do the pump and I painted the skid while it was off. Depending on what year you have there are between 2 and 7 disconnects.. They suck but disconnecting them better than risking breaking a fuel line or damaging them pump too. Let me know if you want any pictures. My skid and tank and pump are all still out of the jeep.

When I dropped my fuel tank I wasn't so lucky with the plastic clips. Ended up breaking 2 before I fully understood how to remove them. I found a used fuel evap line assembly on Ebay, but then I was able to find replacement clips Amazon. Anyone need fuel/evap lines for 03-04 TJ/LJ?

• Sad
When I dropped my fuel tank I wasn't so lucky with the plastic clips. Ended up breaking 2 before I fully understood how to remove them. I found a used fuel evap line assembly on Ebay, but then I was able to find replacement clips Amazon. Anyone need fuel/evap lines for 03-04 TJ/LJ?

Do you have a link to the clips you bought? I have a 03/04 as well. I got everything apart but it would be good to know just in case.

Need to replace rusted skid with new (stock) unit. I'd most like to do without dropping tank any more than required. I understand some have had success slipping a nylon strap under tank to support while replacing skid.

Anyone here used this method?

Have any specific tips/suggestions/details to get under tank

How rusty is the skid? I thought mine needed to be replaced but it was all surface rust.. Sanded down to bare metal primed and painted.

Do you have a link to the clips you bought? I have a 03/04 as well. I got everything apart but it would be good to know just in case.

Here's the clips I ordered on Amazon. I think this covers the various quick connector sizes :

Dorman 800-040 Universal Fuel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004133BLC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Dorman 800-041 Universal Fuel... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004133BQC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

APDTY 911134 Fuel Line Retaining... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMXTVYO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

How rusty is the skid?

I hope it’s in better shape than mine was.
IMG_7881.jpeg

I have dropped my tank twice successfully once 10 years ago and then a month ago. For me the hardest part was getting the connector to slide off the line everything is so ridgid now. Just want to know what connectors are needed just in case there is a round 3 or somehow I buy another jeep (highly unlikely since I've had this one since 04 and I put 200k miles on it myself) .

• Wow