Replacing U-Joints: Do You Prefer a Hammer or a Press?

A Hammer or a Press?

• Total voters
The vice has acted more as an anvil or cradle for me. I've also used the steel edge of a loading dock.

Something I was reminded of on this last rebuild was how fast the hammer method can be compared to fussing around with a press.
I distrust those whose vice is a vise. I use the driveway and something like a 2x4 to hold up the other end to keep it square to the socket.

Reactions: Ephry73 and jjvw
I distrust those whose vice is a vise. I use the driveway and something like a 2x4 to hold up the other end to keep it square to the socket.
Hi, my name is... It's been 51 days since I last used my vise. (Small round of supportive applause) ;)

Last edited:
I always remove with a ball joint press in a vice, securing by a yoke, not the tube. Put some pressure with an impact, then tap the yoke. They will pop, then you are good to go to town. Then always install fresh ones with a hammer. Never have had a bent yoke.

For driveshafts, I've never been comfy that I can support it well enough without denting the thin tube which is a recipe for disaster.
Open the jaws wide enough to set the yoke on top and let the cap fall through. A large socket as a receiving cup works in a similar way. I don't think I've actually clamped down on anything. At least not recently. The vise is just a hard surface to work on. The back end of the shaft is supported with blocking.

Reactions: tquig01
... Put some pressure with an impact, then tap the yoke. They will pop, then you are good to go to town. ...

Halfway through my first ball joint replacement, I figured out that tapping the yokes while pressing made the job a lot easier and didn't require as much force to push things around.

Reactions: pcoplin
I tried removing my front axle u joints yesterday using sockets and dropping a sledge hammer on them. Would not budge. A u tube vid says heat the caps with a torch first. Then u can bash them out easily...
I guess ill try that tomorrow.
The factory caps have no clip rings :-/
I have no vise or press.
If the torch method doesnt work, ill take the axles to a driveshaft joint on Monday... :-/
I found this too. They inject plastic into a hole in the yoke ears. Heat them with a propane torch and the plastic will flow out of the hole. It will catch on fire and smell bad. They are a mess...but when you reassemble they have the necessary cuts to hold standard retainer rings.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Sorry deleted
8A884C4F-2BDC-4104-BFC7-614C6DD9CEF3.jpeg
AAC28BB6-4664-40C2-B936-F38BA40F6765.jpeg

I use a balljoint press. I've used a hammer before too. The press works for me, most of the time. I generally clamp the press into my vise then hold the joint in the press. If its too hard, I always back off and re-adjust. I've not bent an ear yet...

I use the Some Other Dude method - Futz around with the wrong tools using the incorrect technique until some other dude watching my ineptitude who actually knows what he is doing impatiently pushes me aside and does it himself.

At that point I cease paying attention to the particular tools used. ;)

I found this too. They inject plastic into a hole in the yoke ears. Heat them with a propane torch and the plastic will flow out of the hole. It will catch on fire and smell bad. They are a mess...but when you reassemble they have the necessary cuts to hold standard retainer rings.
Will a hand held MAP gas torch work?
And is it the same procedure basically for the driveshaft rear u joint? Thanks for that explanation, i have a Spicer u joint for the driveshaft I would like to replace.

Will a hand held MAP gas torch work?
And is it the same procedure basically for the driveshaft rear u joint? Thanks for that explanation, i have a Spicer u joint for the driveshaft I would like to replace.
Mapp will work better than propane. Any joint you have that doesn't have a visible snap ring is probably held in with plastic. Not sure why the factories are doing that, but its pretty common.