Requesting Jeep Wisdom

My recommendation would be to get your bump steer issue taken care of first. You need to ensure the drag link and Pan Hard a close to parallel, etc..... Possibly post up a picture of the front end and someone can see something that stands out.

Is 3:07 working for you? If not, I would regear next. Then I would get a stock fender and paint to match (this is just my preference since I like the OEM fender look of the TJ).

Then get rid of those steps and get some rocker protection, then focus on lifting the belly.
3.07 is surprisingly working well for me. I do have 4.10 axles out of a 2.5 I could swap this summer however. I also prefer the stock fender look, have you ever had to replace fenders due to rust?

Reactions: TRE3TOP
CamoDude! My son uses that moniker on several forums as well. He is currently Jeepless at the moment.

The advice I generally give folks is this: Think long and hard about what you want this rig to be and do in the end. Once you've got that figured out, then you can chart a path and budget money and time accordingly. There is no point in installing selectable lockers if all you are going to do is light trail riding and topless cruising on warm summer nights. Tire size will dictate most of your important modifications. Think long and hard on that one. My wife wheeled the snot out of our little TJ completely stock for a year. Then she wheeled it with a 2" budget boost on 31s for another two years. She would do stuff that guys on 35s wouldn't even try. And it has been a daily driver since she bought it in 2005. A lot of fun can be had with small tires and open diffs.

CamoDude! My son uses that moniker on several forums as well. He is currently Jeepless at the moment.

The advice I generally give folks is this: Think long and hard about what you want this rig to be and do in the end. Once you've got that figured out, then you can chart a path and budget money and time accordingly. There is no point in installing selectable lockers if all you are going to do is light trail riding and topless cruising on warm summer nights. Tire size will dictate most of your important modifications. Think long and hard on that one. My wife wheeled the snot out of our little TJ completely stock for a year. Then she wheeled it with a 2" budget boost on 31s for another two years. She would do stuff that guys on 35s wouldn't even try. And it has been a daily driver since she bought it in 2005. A lot of fun can be had with small tires and open T

The advice I generally give folks is this: Think long and hard about what you want this rig to be and do in the end. Once you've got that figured out, then you can chart a path and budget money and time accordingly. There is no point in installing selectable lockers if all you are going to do is light trail riding and topless cruising on warm summer nights. Tire size will dictate most of your important modifications. Think long and hard on that one. My wife wheeled the snot out of our little TJ completely stock for a year. Then she wheeled it with a 2" budget boost on 31s for another two years. She would do stuff that guys on 35s wouldn't even try. And it has been a daily driver since she bought it in 2005. A lot of fun can be had with small tires and open diffs.
Thank you, that’s some pretty solid advice! I think i’ll be doing shocks soon and then the fender.

This is a post I hope will gain traction, but will more than likely get only a couple answers. I am a 16 year old kid learning to love, hate, and work on my jeep. I'm currently stuck in class without my phone and have been scrolling forums for hours. As I'm sure many of you did as a teenager with very little money, I am envisioning everything I want my jeep to be. So, this post will be me just thinking on my keyboard for my next few classes.
Now for what all has been done to the jeep and some basic specs. My '98 Moss Green Pearl Sahara just turned over 116k. The 4.0 is paired with the 3 speed transmission. I have the 30/35 axles with 3.07 gears. PO had a 2.5 inch rough country lift, front and rear bumpers, and winch done before I got my grubby paws on it. (The Fun Stuff) Since buying it in early December I have redone the audio system, changed wheels and tires three times (now on 33x10.50r15), done LED headlights, replaced all interior lights with LEDs, added JKS quicker disconnects, gone back to factory fender flares, and added some much needed cup holders.
(The Not so Fun Stuff) As soon as I got it home I replaced the rear brake pads, rear drums, brake drum cylinders, the rear brake line, changed the oil, and replaced the air filter.
Other than some rusted bolts, I got lucky to have such a well working and problem free jeep. I've done some light trails and a lot of back road driving since December, however Ohio doesn't have any big rock walls, deserts, glaciers, dinosaurs, or whatever else you guys crawl over. I have been blessed to grow up on a 200 acre farm with plenty of trails to roam and I'm sure as I get older I'll be attempting more difficult terrain than what I call home. My jeep could go down any one of the trails like it's nothing. I know every bump and every stick on our trails as my family has owned a red '95 YJ for roughly 9 years. That YJ sparked my love for anything jeep and helped me learn the woods behind my house. I'm here for some wisdom from you jeepers who have decades of experience on me and the time to read and respond. What should I do with my jeep?
I'm very happy with everything right now, other than maybe a little bit of bump steer. I've made up my mind that any part inside or out of the jeep will be of the highest quality I can afford. That being said, I have a rusty passenger fender. I'm torn between buying a direct replacement and painting it to match. Or while I'm at it getting some nice high cut fenders and painting them to match. My current front bumper extends out in front of the tires, so if I went with the high cut fenders I would cut my current bumper into a "stubby". If you have a similar lift and tire size, drop your pictures with the high cut fenders. If you don't have an opinion on that, then what should I do with my jeep? I was thinking on some rancho rs5000x's. Maybe some rock sliders? I do want to eventually cut off my factory steps. I have one rusted bolt preventing me from doing it tonight. So, if you're reading this now, THANK YOU and please voice some opinions and spread your wisdom!

View attachment 314780
TLDR

Skimmed it actually. Saw u in school.

My advice.

Drop the fuck out of that shit and become a full time jeeper.

Going to college or whatever is useless because of the internet.

If you’re curious about a subject, any subject, learn to internet. Best to join an enthusiast forum, like this one.

I wish I never went to college except to meet a few friends. Complete waste of time nowadays..... college.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Tob and TRE3TOP
Also, don't be afraid or adverse to ordering parts and having them sit in the corner for a prolonged period of time. Don't worry about someone else's agenda, stick to yours. If it takes you 24 months to buy the parts you need to complete a certain project, then so be it. It's nobody else's business how you spend your money and or time.

Good luck!

Reactions: RFAASRMA
To piggy back on what he said. Learn a trade. It’s way more valuable than a 4 year bachelors degree.

~signed, someone who got a bachelors degree within the last 10 years.
x2 Learn a trade
They do have Bachelors degree for automotive technology. You can go into business side or tech side. If you want to go that route but do learn a skill. It will pay off in the future.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I do pretty well in school with a 4.0 but I definitely appreciate what you’re telling me. This week has been pretty laid back as we’ve been out most of the week. Today was our first day back due to water lines busted inside the bathrooms. Would “always learning” be correct? Either way, I do appreciate you taking the time to give some random kid on the internet some needed advice!
Yes, always learning - that's my life motto, and it's served me well. It sounds like you're squared away, and that's great! Have fun with the new TJ!

3.07 is surprisingly working well for me. I do have 4.10 axles out of a 2.5 I could swap this summer however. I also prefer the stock fender look, have you ever had to replace fenders due to rust?
My 17yo has a '98 Sahara and he just rear-ended a car leaving school a few weeks ago, so I am about to replace the fenders due to that. I found used fenders local and bought a grill off of eBay.

He is taking all honors and AP classes, including Pre-calc and physics right now but he is also taking machining as his electives. He has a 4.3 GPA and doesn't want to go to college, he is planning on going to local tech school for machining.

Most of what I've seen in this thread is good advice and whatever you end up wanting to do career wise don't let Jeep ownership get in the way of getting there.

I see you're in Ohio. I don't need your address but roughly where in Ohio? The closest legal place for me to go Jeeping is Southington Offroad Park but I do randomly go to a couple closer places where no one that I know of has been forced to leave. If you're close enough maybe we could meet up some time after I get my water pump replaced and have some wheeling fun.

Most of what I've seen in this thread is good advice and whatever you end up wanting to do career wise don't let Jeep ownership get in the way of getting there.

I see you're in Ohio. I don't need your address but roughly where in Ohio? The closest legal place for me to go Jeeping is Southington Offroad Park but I do randomly go to a couple closer places where no one that I know of has been forced to leave. If you're close enough maybe we could meet up some time after I get my water pump replaced and have some wheeling fun.
I’m about 3 hours away in south eastern Ohio. Appreciate the offer, might take you up on it sometime!