Restored my hardtop

Bionic_Scorpion

TJ Enthusiast
I read on here about using penetrol to restore the paint on your hardtop so I picked up a can at Lowes for under $11.00

61P4ZxzdkPL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

The day before I used the penetrol, I used warm water and several magic erasers to clean the hardtop. I paid special attention to the rubber around the side windows since they were white and oxidized looking. The magic erasers removed some of the fading from the top and made the rubber around the windows look black like new again. I gave the top 24 hours to dry before applying the penetrol.

I have read about different ways people apply penetrol, with a roller, foam brush, rag, etc. so I chose to apply it with a cotton rag. First I used painters tape to mask off the rubber around the windows. I then applied penetrol to half the top, waited about 3 mins and used a microfiber cloth to wipe the excess off. I then completed one side, the other half of the top, the other side and then the rear. I didn't want to do too much at one time because I didn't want the penetrol to stay on too long because it gets stickier as it dries. I buffed the hardtop several times with the microfiber cloth to make sure there were no streaks or swirls.

Here are some before and after pics. The top looks like new again. I couldn't believe the difference it made.

20200703_204802.jpg

20200703_204829.jpg

20200628_224239.jpg

20200702_144819.jpg

I also did the hood latches with the penetrol and they look like new again as well. I taped off around the latches and applied the penetrol with a small foam brush, waited about 3 mins and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth.

20200703_152535.jpg
20200703_152522.jpg

I'm very happy with the results and if you're wanting to make your hardtop look like new again, I would highly recommend this.

Last edited:
The question is, is this just temporary almost like applying a "Back to Black" product, or is it permanent. In other words, are you just greasing up the paint / plastic?

Not sure how it works.

The question is, is this just temporary almost like applying a "Back to Black" product, or is it permanent. In other words, are you just greasing up the paint / plastic?

Not sure how it works.
I'm not sure yet, its the first time I've used it. I have read where other people have said its lasted over a year and counting. I know products like back to black that I've used in the past barely lasted any time at all. Guess I'll find out.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure yet, its the first time I've used it. I have read where other people have said its lasted over a year and counting. I know products like back to black that I've used in the past barely lasted any time at all. Guess I'll find out.

Keep us updated, I'm curious!

Reactions: Jim B
I have the same top but I have nicks and areas rubbed off. I wanted to paint the top tan again. Does anyone know if its tan with a satin clear coat? My top is old and looks faded and wasn't sure if the original look was shiny or satin finish. Can anyone chime in?

I have the same top but I have nicks and areas rubbed off. I wanted to paint the top tan again. Does anyone know if its tan with a satin clear coat? My top is old and looks faded and wasn't sure if the original look was shiny or satin finish. Can anyone chime in?

Mine doesn't appear to have ever had a clear coat but I dont know for sure. All the hardtops I've seen appear to just have a matte paint finish, no clear coat.

Mine was a matte finish as well-no clear coat, and I don't think these were painted. I believe that was the gel coat from the molding process.

Reactions: Jim B
I'm curious to know how it's holding up, I'm interested in doing this to my top but want to know if this something that last just a few weeks.
I hope the OP can update with more recent pics since it's been a month since the original post

Not sure how it works.

I have been using Penetrol for years on numerous jeeps.
It's definitely not a permanent solution. It's a mixture of Naptha, Mineral oil and Linseed oil.
I apply it 2-3X a year. I does last quite a while and stands up to the elements quite well.

Reactions: Chris
I used this on a grey hardtop a few years ago and even though I didn't have it more than a few months, the color held up after several washes. These pictures are a couple of days before I sold it. You can see how glossy it still looks, but it was smooth and dry to the touch.
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg