Reverse to Drive sputter / stall

Did you ever do the power brake booster fix? I have the same exact issue. Cleaned the IAC and throttle body and still stalling.
I changed out the power brake booster & unfortunately still dealing with problem. Next I’m going to do a smoke test to see if there is any other vacuum leaks. I love my Jeep & it only has 76,000 miles so I’m determined to resolve the issue.

I changed out the power brake booster & unfortunately still dealing with problem. Next I’m going to do a smoke test to see if there is any other vacuum leaks. I love my Jeep & it only has 76,000 miles so I’m determined to resolve the issue.
Did you do the Brake Booster test first?, and thats why you pulled the trigger on buying a new one, or you just went for it hoping for the best?

Thats too bad that was not the source of your stalling but it was for mine, and my test verified that was the area of the vacuum leak prior to me buying the new BB.

I also did a smoke test and I was getting some smoke coming out of my TB near the TPS, but it was not significant enough to cause the stall. Mine was the warped diaphragm within the Power Brake Booster. (150k miles on it at the time).

Reactions: KCsTJ
Oh I have the cure thats for sure!
You need to replace your power brake booster.

There is a diaphragm inside the brake booster that warps after time and in colder weather (like mornings) when you hit the brake pedal it flexes the diaphragm and creates a vacuum leak causing the stall.

You can test this by bypassing the brake booster in the morning by disconnecting the big hose coming off of it and plugging it with something (I used a sharpie, it fit perfectly), then doing a reverse to drive thing in your driveway and seeing that it will not stall out. Just be careful when testing that in that fashion as you do not have brakes really. Do it in a controlled place, where no one can get hurt.

I replaced mine and the issue went away instantly. That took me a ton of troubleshooting to figure that out, but yes, that is whats wrong. Its a vacuum leak from within the power brake booster. Any questions along the way, just ask! I had a ton of people help me out and i'll be glad to pay it forward. ;)
So my Jeep just started having these same issues, reverse to drive sputter. I noticed if I’m just in the drive way and hold down the brake and change gears from reverse to drive it’s fine. If I put it in reverse, let go of the brake pedal then press it again and go into drive it sputters. This might me another step of troubleshooting for you all to see if it’s
Oh I have the cure thats for sure!
You need to replace your power brake booster.

There is a diaphragm inside the brake booster that warps after time and in colder weather (like mornings) when you hit the brake pedal it flexes the diaphragm and creates a vacuum leak causing the stall.

You can test this by bypassing the brake booster in the morning by disconnecting the big hose coming off of it and plugging it with something (I used a sharpie, it fit perfectly), then doing a reverse to drive thing in your driveway and seeing that it will not stall out. Just be careful when testing that in that fashion as you do not have brakes really. Do it in a controlled place, where no one can get hurt.

I replaced mine and the issue went away instantly. That took me a ton of troubleshooting to figure that out, but yes, that is whats wrong. Its a vacuum leak from within the power brake booster. Any questions along the way, just ask! I had a ton of people help me out and i'll be glad to pay it forward. ;)
So I got the same issue, reverse to drive sputter. I did notice if I’m in the driveway and keep the brake down the whole time and run through gears it’s fine. When press the brake pedal and go into reverse then release it to back up and then press it again and go into drive is when it sputters. I’m sure that it’s probable the brake booster but wanted to through this troubleshooting tip out there.

So my Jeep just started having these same issues, reverse to drive sputter. I noticed if I’m just in the drive way and hold down the brake and change gears from reverse to drive it’s fine. If I put it in reverse, let go of the brake pedal then press it again and go into drive it sputters. This might me another step of troubleshooting for you all to see if it’s

So I got the same issue, reverse to drive sputter. I did notice if I’m in the driveway and keep the brake down the whole time and run through gears it’s fine. When press the brake pedal and go into reverse then release it to back up and then press it again and go into drive is when it sputters. I’m sure that it’s probable the brake booster but wanted to through this troubleshooting tip out there.
There is a way to bypass the brake booster to basically rule it as the issue. Detach the hose going into the BB, plug the end of the hose with something, and then attempt your "reverse to drive" situation. If it does not stall then the BB is the issue. If it still stalls, the BB is not the issue and you must then keep searching.

PS: Do this test in a controlled area as unplugging the BB means you do not have power brakes!