Revolution Gear Supply Chain Update

Yea I don’t agree with doing that either but my gut tells me that’s what it is. I hope I’m wrong.

For the sake of knowing, I decided to message Revolution Gear and Axle this morning on that 5.38 Master set and they said it's in stock. Here's a screenshot of my conversation on Amazon asking about that item.
Item link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ETJR1R2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 08-43-06 Messages.jpg

Reactions: flyinfish
Well, I started this thread almost six months ago, and today I got really bad news. This afternoon, I spoke with Brandon at Revolution for an update on the domestic-made front axles I've had on order since the Christmas holidays. The last time I spoke to him (in mid-April), he told me it would be a minimum of three months before they're back in stock. Today, he told me that they are on an indefinite backorder now. They have no idea when they'll be available. I then asked how the Discovery (imported) axles compare, and he said they are not as stout as the domestic axles and the domestic ones are definitely worth the considerably higher price. I still have several other backorders preventing me from progressing with my build, so I told him to leave the backorder open for now.

With my current inability to source certain parts, it could be a year or more until this LJ sees any serious use, so I'm okay with keeping the backorder open. However, I'm wondering what alternative front axles are available for a Rubicon Dana 44 that might be somewhat comparable to the Revolution domestic axles because at some point, I may receive the other components and be ready to finish my build. Any suggestions from y'all?

Thanks,
sab

Last edited:
Well, I started this thread almost six months ago, and today I got really bad news. This afternoon, I spoke with Brandon at Revolution for an update on the domestic-made front axles I've had on order since the Christmas holidays. The last time I spoke to him (in mid-April), he told me it would be a minimum of three months before they're back in stock. Today, he told me that they are on an indefinite backorder now. They have no idea when they'll be available. I then asked how the Discovery (imported) axles compare, and he said they are not as stout as the domestic axles and the domestic ones are definitely worth the considerably higher price. I still have several other backorders preventing me from progressing with my build, so I told him to leave the backorder open for now.

With my current inability to source certain parts, it could be a year or more until this LJ sees any serious use, so I'm okay with keeping the backorder open. However, I'm wondering what alternative front axles are available for a Rubicon Dana 44 that might be somewhat comparable to the Revolution domestic axles because at some point, I may receive the other components and be ready to finish my build. Any suggestions from y'all?

Thanks,
sab

The closest you will get are the RCV axleshafts which are not without their own issues.

Thanks,
sab

Sorry to hear about the perpetual backorder.

I stopped waiting for front-inner R&G axles this past winter and went with discovery-equivalent Yukon front-inners. The price seemed very reasonable. Let me know if you are interested and I’ll dig up the where I sourced them.

I’ve had zero issues so far playing in gravel & rocks using the Yukon axles and oem-sized axle ujoints.

I can’t pair American-sourced R&G axles with my hub kit, so I may consider trying RCV axles ($$$) if I run into u-joint/axle issues moving forward.

I can’t pair American-sourced R&G axles with my hub kit, so I may consider trying RCV axles ($$$) if I run into u-joint/axle issues moving forward.
That is a mistake. But they only make them for the stub in the 5.5" hub kit. Sadly, that means they are the ones for the old style CJ knuckles so they use a smaller bell to fit through the hole in the knuckle. That makes them weaker than the standard TJ RCV shafts.

Thanks, Mr. Blaine and Mikee024. I'm aware of the RCV axles but haven't spent any time getting acquainted with them, so I'll start going down the "RCV rabbit hole..." I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mindset, and the Discovery (or Discovery-equivalent) axles don't really satisfy that mindset.

Reactions: MikeE024
I'm wondering what alternative front axles are available for a Rubicon Dana 44 that might be somewhat comparable to the Revolution domestic axles because at some point, I may receive the other components and be ready to finish my build.
Hard to compare a 5-7166X U joint to a 5-760X U joint. Not that there isn't a strength difference in the shafts, but the U joint is a big differentiator. That said, are you going to wheel it hard enough to break a 4340 stub shaft with a 5-760X U joint? That's a question you have to ask yourself.

That said, are you going to wheel it hard enough to break a 4340 stub shaft with a 5-760X U joint? That's a question you have to ask yourself.

I honestly don't know, but I don't want to find out, or to worry about it - at all. Building this LJ is a bucket-list item for me.

I honestly don't know, but I don't want to find out, or to worry about it - at all. Building this LJ is a bucket-list item for me.

I have no experience with RCV axles but I highly recommend asking folks’ opinions on them before making the purchase. I say that because beyond the additional cost, they don’t seem to be infallible based on reviews I’ve briefly read.

For example, I believe someone mentioned that they can have issues if you play in the water/mud. Even if that’s true, you might not care if that’s not your application. Point is, I’d ask around and then compare the cost/benefits to your style of wheeling.

Fwiw, the inner axles I purchased were around 50% cheaper than the price listed elsewhere (Amazon, etc.). I don’t know if that’s still the case but I do know they were an authorized retailer. BTW, not trying to sell u on going that route, just providing you with info in case it’s helpful. Best of luck man.

Reactions: Irun and RINC

Then the answer is simple

Then the answer is simple

Simple, maybe, but certainly not an easy decision to make at this point with the (lack of) knowledge I possess. I'll be reading about the cons of the RCV axles this evening to see if I have any major issues with them...

Reactions: RINC and MikeE024
What about the Carbon Off Road axles? Aren’t they supposed to be decent?

I’m only able to parrot info that I believe I’ve heard/read, but iirc there were ujoint-fitment issues with their axles. Please, correct me if I’m wrong on that @mrblaine.

What about the Carbon Off Road axles? Aren’t they supposed to be decent?

Carbon is the same exact crap that everyone imports and sells. The same crew is doing the same stuff they have always done with the same vendors and the same erratic quality as when they ran Alloy USA. A gent on FB was bitching more than a bit because he twisted a stub off flush to the back of the unit bearing. That only happens with shit axles. The absolute best fucking part of that? Carbon will void his entire warranty on his spiffy front Dana 44 if he runs anything but Carbon axles in it.

Carbon is the same exact crap that everyone imports and sells. The same crew is doing the same stuff they have always done with the same vendors and the same erratic quality as when they ran Alloy USA. A gent on FB was bitching more than a bit because he twisted a stub off flush to the back of the unit bearing. That only happens with shit axles. The absolute best fucking part of that? Carbon will void his entire warranty on his spiffy front Dana 44 if he runs anything but Carbon axles in it.

Thank goodness they’ll overnight him a new shaft if he snaps it! Wonder if they deliver shafts to the trail?

Reactions: mrblaine
Well, after reading post after post and having side conversations with a few forum members over the past 24 hours regarding their experiences with RCV axles, I placed an order for the RCV axles and requested a refund from Revolution. Sadly, RCV is quoting 6-8 weeks for delivery on those, so I may have jumped from the frying pan into the campfire...

• Wow
Reactions: RINC and MikeE024
I am planning on replacing my rear axle shafts because I have leaking seals and I figure I might as well go with alloy shafts while I am at it. I only have 32 inch tires so I am thinking Revolution Discovery shafts are adequate and therefore the best deal for me. What do you think?

Reactions: RINC and SvtLdr
I am planning on replacing my rear axle shafts because I have leaking seals and I figure I might as well go with alloy shafts while I am at it. I only have 32 inch tires so I am thinking Revolution Discovery shafts are adequate and therefore the best deal for me. What do you think?

I think those would be a good fit. 👍

Reactions: Irun

For quality control reasons, I’d likely go with the American sourced axles in the rear (especially since you are turbo’d).

I prefer to be a little overbuilt for the extra peace of mind, and u could confidently go with bigger tires later if you ever want to.

With that said, I imagine a good batch of discovery axles would work just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC