Right hand pull revisited

Are you saying that the power steering pump and steering gear will try to center itself if the steering wheel is not 100% centered and possibly be causing his pull to the right?
If so I would have to say that is an inaccurate statement. My steering wheel has been off since I bought my jeep and it drives straight down the road hands off the wheel as long as there isn't too much road crown.
Just because your statistical sample of one doesn't do it, does not make the statement inaccurate. I fix pulls to one side all the time by centering the steering wheel. There is no assist to move the piston off of center in the steering gear until the steering wheel is turned to open the valve via the torsion bar. If the wheel is off to one side, the valve is open and assisting. It is that simple, that is how they work, that can't be changed.

Reactions: reddvltj
Have to look up the stock specs but I seem to recall the right side having about .2 degrees more than the left side.
I would stick a 1/2 degree in the left side and see what happens. AFTER verifying that the current ones are stock.

However, with the rest of his severe lack of understand about how this works, I'd question whether he suffers the same lack of understanding on how to run his rack.
Beautifully said.

I removed a window in a million dollar home recently that was installed on bare studs and flooded the wall below. Every window in the house was done that way. Here's the moral- guys in the trades are doing things wrong and they don't even know they are.

It's a great age to know your stuff.
Pick any trade , show up and be competent and you will never want for work.

Will likely turn into me getting it back, going to harbor freight and getting a ball joint press , and doing it myself. Look for a "How in the world do I get this ball joint out " thread coming soon, to a TJ forum near you.

Just because your statistical sample of one doesn't do it, does not make the statement inaccurate. I fix pulls to one side all the time by centering the steering wheel. There is no assist to move the piston off of center in the steering gear until the steering wheel is turned to open the valve via the torsion bar. If the wheel is off to one side, the valve is open and assisting. It is that simple, that is how they work, that can't be changed.
Ok then...

Look for a "How in the world do I get this ball joint out " thread coming soon, to a TJ forum near you.

The Jeep offset ball joint tool helps immensely. Can also just free rental a press from the usual auto parts store. They may not have the special Jeep adapter though.

The Jeep offset ball joint tool helps immensely. Can also just free rental a press from the usual auto parts store. They may not have the special Jeep adapter though.
Can you describe or link me to one ..not sure I've seen one.

They got the left at 7 degrees and right 6.9, and it drives straight, and has a nice heavier steering feel it's never had as well.

Now I'm fighting another erratic caliper bind issue .

Reactions: basic
Reactions: AndyG
Can you describe or link me to one ..not sure I've seen one.

They got the left at 7 degrees and right 6.9, and it drives straight, and has a nice heavier steering feel it's never had as well.

Now I'm fighting another erratic caliper bind issue .

good to hear they got it straight. When I had mine aligned, I took it to the guy the offroad shop in town recommended and it was...okay.

I'm tempted to take it someplace else to have them rack it up and see where it's at. I have adjustable arms upper and lower in the rear, and lowers in the front. I don't remember getting a print out of what it was at..

good to hear they got it straight. When I had mine aligned, I took it to the guy the offroad shop in town recommended and it was...okay.

I'm tempted to take it someplace else to have them rack it up and see where it's at. I have adjustable arms upper and lower in the rear, and lowers in the front. I don't remember getting a print out of what it was at..
One thing it made me realize it's important to know what the numbers mean and to understand that they don't have to be equal to be optimal... That there is a certain amount of caster and Camber deviation that makes the vehicle do things better.

I think it would be a great thread for someone with the knowledge to go over basic TJ alignment standards and educate The Forum on what to look for if they use an alignment shop or if they don't.. we do a good job here at covering toe , but it is amazing the difference in feel that proper caster will give you at the wheel . It's all important..a short little TJ responds to the slightest change , good or bad.

Reactions: reddvltj