RIP, Roxy

sab

"Semper Discens"
Lifetime Supporting Member
Sad day here at the sab homestead. Roxy, our loyal outside guardian for 15 years, had to be put down this morning. Her rear legs just didn't work so good for her anymore, and life was 100% struggle. I've spent all day digging (if using a jackhammer can be considered digging) a hole in this infernal rock we have here, and I think it's gonna be another full day of work before I can lay her to rest.

Here she is in her glory days, proud of all the mud she found:

Happy Dirty Dog.jpg

Rest in Peace, Roxy. You were a better friend than most people!

Yes, the worst day of dog ownership is the last one. It's never easy. We have another one the same age. He's doing okay, but he's almost completely deaf and nearly blind. I'm hoping a little time passes before he goes...

Thanks for the condolences, fellers - it's appreciated!

Sad day here at the sab homestead. Roxy, our loyal outside guardian for 15 years, had to be put down this morning. Her rear legs just didn't work so good for her anymore, and life was 100% struggle. I've spent all day digging (if using a jackhammer can be considered digging) a hole in this infernal rock we have here, and I think it's gonna be another full day of work before I can lay her to rest.

View attachment 434669

Sorry for the pain your feeling. Roxy looks like a great friend.

Reactions: sab
I keep telling my wife that I don't know what I'm going to do when the day comes when we have to do the same with one of our girls. Sorry for your loss @sab.

We'd been avoiding that thought process for a couple months, knowing the inevitable decision that ultimately needed making. In the end, it was an easy decision to make, but a hard one to live with. We've lost dogs before, and it just never gets easier. They have an innate ability to cheer us up, right when we need it most. If only they could live longer...

I feel for you, man. Had to put my cat down in March after 18 years together. She was my best buddy. Our other cat, who we have had for 16 years is on his last legs. It's hard to know when it's time. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for the pain your feeling. Roxy looks like a great friend.

So sorry for your loss

She's beautiful, sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Sorry for your loss

Thanks, all! Roxy was a beautiful, quirky companion. Her quirkiness was that she didn't like to be petted. She'd only let you do it if she was tired! Back in my backcountry hunting days, she would help prepare me for each fall hunt by hiking 8 miles with me every Saturday morning from May until September. She was in her element!

Went through it once with my German Shepard Pal when I was 16, was very hard on me and actually swore I wouldn’t have another because of the hurt. Flash forward 5-6 years and my friend needed to re-home his pup that I helped raise/train because his wife joined the military and I got Jax (ridgeback boxer mix)… he is my best friend and honestly I can’t see not having him. He is only 7 now, but I dread the day, and unfortunately think about it often.

Sorry for your loss bud, she will be there to greet you in heaven.

Reactions: DavidBT and sab
Went through it once with my German Shepard Pal when I was 16, was very hard on me and actually swore I wouldn’t have another because of the hurt.

That's a very common reaction to the loss of a dog. I've been through it many times. In fact, one of my wife's first comments was, "no more new dogs." I always go back to the joy a dog brings to my life, and those many years of joy are worth the pain at the end. We still have the other old dog, Max, and I'm sure there will be others at some point in the future. Owning dogs is in my DNA...

Last edited:
That's a very common reaction to the loss of a dog. I've been through it many times. In fact, one of my wife's first comments was, "no more new dogs." I always go back to the joy a dog brings to my life, and those many years of joy are worth the pain at the end. We have still have the other old dog, Max, and I'm sure there will be others at some point in the future. Owning dogs is in my DNA...

Yup…. Mine too. We have a couple Silken Windhounds that are 4 and 5. We’ve always overlapped with younger dogs as our older ones age.

Reactions: sab

View attachment 434669

Shine on Roxy🌟

Yup…. Mine too. We have a couple Silken Windhounds that are 4 and 5. We’ve always overlapped with younger dogs as our older ones age.

We ended up with two same-age dogs due to serendipity. Like you, I would have preferred some age separation. Roxy was a stray that came into our lives when she was just a pup. Max was a rescue from a home that had suffered a divorce, and the ex-husband ended up with a puppy, but realized he couldn't give it the life it needed. Both came into our lives about 6 months after losing a previous dog. What can I say, my heart strings are played like a fiddle when it comes to dogs...

Reactions: Rooscooter