RIP, Roxy

By the way, this thread has been incredibly therapeutic for me, so thanks again!

Reactions: Woodrow
We ended up with two same-age dogs due to serendipity. Like you, I would have preferred some age separation. Roxy was a stray that came into our lives when she was just a pup. Max was a rescue from a home that had suffered a divorce, and the ex-husband ended up with a puppy, but realized he couldn't give it the life it needed. Both came into our lives about 6 months after losing a previous dog. What can I say, my heart strings are played like a fiddle when it comes to dogs...

We’ve been fortunate to have had relatively long lived dogs. A 18 year old Dalmatian, 11 year old Irish Wolfhound(very old ror that breed) the 2 Shih Tzu’s at 16 and 18. The current crew are amount the longer lived breeds as well. As you might imagine, our dogs live a relatively stress free life….Unlike theis bi-ped companions.

Reactions: sab
I feel for you, man. Had to put my cat down in March after 18 years together. She was my best buddy. Our other cat, who we have had for 16 years is on his last legs. It's hard to know when it's time. Sorry for your loss.

Now we know it's time. Vet is coming to the house tomorrow at 1pm to put down Wilson. Always hard. It will be the first time since 1994 that we won't have a pet. Who am I going to talk to during the day when working from home?

Oh, man, tweezer, sorry to hear that. I hope this doesn’t follow the pattern of threes for forum members. Grieving is different for everyone. What’s helped me get through the week is thinking of all the great hikes Roxy and I did together.

You and Wilson will be in my prayers tonight and in my thoughts tomorrow as I finish (hopefully) putting Roxy in the ground tomorrow morning.

Oh, man, tweezer, sorry to hear that. I hope this doesn’t follow the pattern of threes for forum members. Grieving is different for everyone. What’s helped me get through the week is thinking of all the great hikes Roxy and I did together.

You and Wilson will be in my prayers tonight and in my thoughts tomorrow as I finish (hopefully) putting Roxy in the ground tomorrow morning.

Thank you, sab. Appreciate it. Going to be a tough day.

• Sad
Thank you, sab. Appreciate it. Going to be a tough day.

tweezer - I hope you're doing okay after dealing with Wilson's loss. We got Roxy laid to rest Saturday evening. I hit two separate layers of rock about 6" thick to hammer through, and it was relieving to get that rocky grave dug for her!

tweezer - I hope you're doing okay after dealing with Wilson's loss. We got Roxy laid to rest Saturday evening. I hit two separate layers of rock about 6" thick to hammer through, and it was relieving to get that rocky grave dug for her!

Thanks, sab. Doing okay. I miss the hell out of him, but he's in a better place. I was thinking of you Saturday afternoon as I was digging his grave. The ground was hard clay and I had to work really hard to get deep enough, but it wasn't nearly as hard as what you were digging in. Glad you got her laid to rest.

Well, we have an appointment this afternoon to put down our remaining dog. Max, 16, was a rescue who came into our lives a short time after Roxy, the original dog in this thread, did. He's been battling kidney disease for a few months, and he just has no fight left in him. He sleeps 23 hours a day, and he's so emaciated that he has to sometimes be carried outside to do his business. It's time. Another sad day in the sab household. RIP, Max!

Here he is in his glory days, in one of his goofiest sleeping positions:

1711649483176.png

Well, we have an appointment this afternoon to put down our remaining dog. Max, 16, was a rescue who came into our lives a short time after Roxy, the original dog in this thread, did. He's been battling kidney disease for a few months, and he just has no fight left in him. He sleeps 23 hours a day, and he's so emaciated that he has to sometimes be carried outside to do his business. It's time. Another sad day in the sab household. RIP, Max!

Here he is in his glory days, in one of his goofiest sleeping positions:

View attachment 513158

Losing our Fur Buddies is never easy. Sorry to hear about Max. But I'm a firm believer in doing what's right for the animal.

I do not look forward to the time when I'll have to put mine down.

Thanks, Wildman. It's definitely the right thing to do for Max. He'll be deeply missed, just like Roxy! The monumental effort of digging Roxy's grave in this rock we live on doesn't have to be repeated, thank God. I knew Max wouldn't be with us a whole lot longer, so the I cut the hole in the rock big enough for him, too. Last night I shoveled the backfill out of the other half of the hole to get ready for Max. Oddly, digging the grave helps the grieving process for me...

Reactions: Wildman
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Love
Reactions: tr21triton and sab
Putting down our first rescue Sally was one of the hardest things we had to do. Wife and I get her before we were married, had kids etc. she was our practice kid…and still my favorite joke, whenever one of the kids (or our other two rescues) does something stupid, is we should have called it quits with Sally.

• Haha
Reactions: DavidBT and sab
Thanks, matkal! Condolences sent your way, too! There's no other animal that can capture our attention like a dog, is there? What wonderful critters...

So true , they are always your buddy , and so damn loyal . They leave a hole in your heart when their gone. Sorry for the pain caused by your loss !

• Love
Reactions: Wildman and sab