Road driving characteristics of TJ with a 4 lift?

polsontod

Supporting Member
I recently bought a 2000 TJ to be used 50% trail/50% road. Upon reading various posts, I thought I'd push my comfort limits and go with a 4" lift and either 33", 34" or 35" tires (for 20 years I previously had a love/hate relationship with a leaf-spring 82 CJ w/ 2.5" lift/33" tires).

So, my question is ..... What are Jeepster Owners Experiences with a 4" lifted TJ regarding road handling/cornering characteristics?

I recently bought a 2000 TJ to be used 50% trail/50% road. Upon reading various posts, I thought I'd push my comfort limits and go with a 4" lift and either 33", 34" or 35" tires (for 20 years I previously had a love/hate relationship with a leaf-spring 82 CJ w/ 2.5" lift/33" tires).

Currently I have stock +/-9" wide Sahara rims .... although I am considering going to a 17" rim with an offset.

So, my question is ..... What are Jeepster Owners Experiences with a 4" lifted TJ regarding road handling/cornering characteristics?

I don't think there's too many Jeepster owners on this board
downloadfile-1.jpg

But back to your question, what quality/price range are you looking in? Does the 4" include a 1" body lift or is it all SL? I think it will be very kit dependent

With the right shock absorbers and appropriate Load Range C tires inflated to the correct air pressure, your TJ will ride just fine with a 4" lift. You'll only get a rough ride if you install a Rough Country or Skyjacker lift with their shocks, or install the wrong shocks like Skyjacker Nitros, Rancho RS5000, ProComp ES-3000, etc. with overinflated tires.

Reactions: AndyG and polsontod
I have a 4" lift, 33's and mine rides fine, pretty smooth and not that much different from stock.

That wasn't always the case. When I first bought mine, it had a new Rubicon Express lift springs and shocks, and some Big O mud type tire. The shocks were way too stiff and completely sucked, and the tires did too. I later changed to Hankook M/T's and Skyjacker Hydro shocks, and that was a huge improvement.

Today I run Cooper STT Pro tires, and those ride about the same as the Hanook's, both are nice, and I replaced the shocks with Rancho RS5000X's, and those are noticeably better than the Skyjackers. I'm still using the RE springs.

So basically, if you have good shocks, and most aren't valved right for TJ's, and good tires, with the proper air pressure 24-26 lbs or so, it should ride fine.

My 2004 Rubicon drives great with a 4" lift. You need to spend the money on a good lift kit. Mine is mostly Curtie stuff.

Reactions: polsontod
Shocks! I’m a believer in high end shocks, made the biggest difference and C range tires inflated to 24-26 psi, rides better than a stock Jeep.

Look at spending more on shocks. Super happy with my fox shocks tuned to savvy’s spec. It’s amazing a lifted TJ on soft 33’s can handle and drive this well. And it was all shock!

Reactions: polsontod and L J
Thanks guys for the info. Sadly, I bought a 4" Skyjacker lift kit on Ebay. So, I'm guessing springs are probably OK but shocks could be better.

Does running 35" tires w/4" lift reduce roadway driveability/cornering?

Shocks! I’m a believer in high end shocks, made the biggest difference and C range tires inflated to 24-26 psi, rides better than a stock Jeep.

Look at spending more on shocks. Super happy with my fox shocks tuned to savvy’s spec. It’s amazing a lifted TJ on soft 33’s can handle and drive this well. And it was all shock!
Thanks, is that pic of your jeep with 33" tires & 4" lift? If so, I like it. Maybe 33" tires are OK, as I was considering going to 35" tires.

I have a 4" lift, 33's and mine rides fine, pretty smooth and not that much different from stock.

That wasn't always the case. When I first bought mine, it had a new Rubicon Express lift springs and shocks, and some Big O mud type tire. The shocks were way too stiff and completely sucked, and the tires did too. I later changed to Hankook M/T's and Skyjacker Hydro shocks, and that was a huge improvement.

Today I run Cooper STT Pro tires, and those ride about the same as the Hanook's, both are nice, and I replaced the shocks with Rancho RS5000X's, and those are noticeably better than the Skyjackers. I'm still using the RE springs.

So basically, if you have good shocks, and most aren't valved right for TJ's, and good tires, with the proper air pressure 24-26 lbs or so, it should ride fine.

Is that pic of your jeep with 33" tires & 4" lift? If so, I like it. Maybe 33" tires are OK, as I was considering going to 35" tires.

With the right shock absorbers and appropriate Load Range C tires inflated to the correct air pressure, your TJ will ride just fine with a 4" lift. You'll only get a rough ride if you install a Rough Country or Skyjacker lift with their shocks, or install the wrong shocks like Skyjacker Nitros, Rancho RS5000, ProComp ES-3000, etc. with overinflated tires.

Thanks Jeep-Master Yoda! I actually bought a skyjacker lift kit. I suppose the springs are OK.... but you thinks the shocks are junk? I'll likely be using aftermarket adjustable control arms .... unless you have a better idea. I assume that for road driving your better-off with a stock length control arms as opposed to installing a long control arm or 4-link.

Assuming the Skyjacker springs are OK... What shocks would you recommend?

Thanks in advance from the wilds of wyoming!

Thanks. It’s getting a 1.25” body lift which I honestly don’t want to do but a tummy tuck forces that hand....I think it sits perfect at a total of 4”.

So in the pic you have a total of 4" suspension lift? ... or you're at a 2.5" lift and planning a 1.5" Body lift to make up the 4"?

I’d sell the skyjacker kit and save the wasted motion of installing it and trying to make it all work.

A 4” lifted TJ isn’t going to drive good by accident...you have to have a good lift and it has to be done right front to back.

You’ll see once you get into it.

I’m not trying to scare you , I’m really not.

A lifted TJ’s handling is going to be the net result of every component under it and how it is set up.

It can be a joy to drive .

I’d sell the skyjacker kit and save the wasted motion of installing it and trying to make it all work.

A 4” lifted TJ isn’t going to drive good by accident...you have to have a good lift and it has to be done right front to back.

You’ll see once you get into it.

I’m not trying to scare you , I’m really not.

A lifted TJ’s handling is going to be the net result of every component under it and how it is set up.

It can be a joy to drive .

This.