Road Noise: Hard Upper Half Doors vs Full Doors

This is a very personal choice, but I drive my Jeep an hour one way routinely. I put away the 1/2 doors for the last 2 years and don't miss them. However, when I wheel it's with trail doors.

I prefer no windows.

These allow music, calls and in Jeep communication.

1682729724211.jpeg

I have a built LJ with soft top, half doors with soft uppers. I also have a near stock TJ with full doors and hard top. So not really a direct comparison...

Though I find the TJ to be a bit bouncy on KYB shocks. It's quite compared to the LJ and no wind noise. Though my wife says the engine is loud.

The LJ is much smoother because of all the money in suspension, but it's MUCH louder because of the soft top and uppers. MT tires don't help either.

I do have tinnitus and poor hearing because I had cancer/chemo about 12 years ago. Hearing wasn't that good before that anyway. So the noise doesn't bother me much. Just makes it so I can't hear much while the Jeep is moving. I might be taking a road trip to WA this summer in the LJ, 19 hour drive one way. I will probably borrow the full doors from the TJ even though it will look a bit funky since they're different colors.
I'm in a similar situation. The ride in my TJ is very firm compared to my LJ. At the risk of getting attacked, I've tried tried very soft shocks, i.e. Black Max, on the TJ and it really didn't make any difference.

is not like you travel for 12 hours daily.. or you?

if you already have it, it doesn't take very long to crank up the volume on it that will be mentally disruptive for days or weeks. And every time that happens, there's a ratcheting effect so it doesn't ever really seem to go back down all the way to the previous baseline.

It doesn't take much to get tinnitus.

Do LJs feel any different on roads than a regular TJ?

When I decided to go TJ to LJ 2 years ago but didn't want to start over, I got the opportunity to drive them basically side by side, with the exact same tires, axles, and shocks, because I literally took them out of the TJ and put them into the LJ.

The biggest thing I noticed was that it made the back end feel more harsh, like the shocks had gotten stiffer, because the weight distribution is more front heavy on the LJ. Even though the LJ is overall heavier, I'm convinced that the weight on the rear axle is actually less than an otherwise identical TJ because it's farther from the COG. Going along with this is that I had to get longer FRONT springs to maintain the same ride height as I had with the TJ, while the rear springs ended up a hair taller.

Second to that, I can feel more antisquat, when taking off from a stop there's more of a sensation of the rear end wanting to rise, rather than squat, under torque.

I have a built LJ with soft top, half doors with soft uppers. I also have a near stock TJ with full doors and hard top. So not really a direct comparison...

Though I find the TJ to be a bit bouncy on KYB shocks. It's quite compared to the LJ and no wind noise. Though my wife says the engine is loud.

The LJ is much smoother because of all the money in suspension, but it's MUCH louder because of the soft top and uppers. MT tires don't help either.

I do have tinnitus and poor hearing because I had cancer/chemo about 12 years ago. Hearing wasn't that good before that anyway. So the noise doesn't bother me much. Just makes it so I can't hear much while the Jeep is moving. I might be taking a road trip to WA this summer in the LJ, 19 hour drive one way. I will probably borrow the full doors from the TJ even though it will look a bit funky since they're different colors.

Let me know if you want to go wheeling when you come to WA!

• Love
Reactions: suicideking
I'm doing a road trip from Fall Creek to Vancouver Island and then we'll be coming home on the Washington BDR.

I'm planning on doing it topless...and really considering a Rugged Radio setup so me and my dad can talk...and we're convoying so music and GMRS is all fantastic.

I run a hard top and soft door uppers in the winter. Road noise is manageable but bad. Looking for some full doors...but really considering the bulldawgs because the price is comparable to decent full doors. Adding 1/4 rope to the weather seals helped. And I think I need to redo my hinge bushings.

-Mac

Reactions: PNW_LJ
When I decided to go TJ to LJ 2 years ago but didn't want to start over, I got the opportunity to drive them basically side by side, with the exact same tires, axles, and shocks, because I literally took them out of the TJ and put them into the LJ.

The biggest thing I noticed was that it made the back end feel more harsh, like the shocks had gotten stiffer, because the weight distribution is more front heavy on the LJ. Even though the LJ is overall heavier, I'm convinced that the weight on the rear axle is actually less than an otherwise identical TJ because it's farther from the COG. Going along with this is that I had to get longer FRONT springs to maintain the same ride height as I had with the TJ, while the rear springs ended up a hair taller.

Second to that, I can feel more antisquat, when taking off from a stop there's more of a sensation of the rear end wanting to rise, rather than squat, under torque.
Kinda surprising, but makes sense when I think about it more.

I prefer no windows.

These allow music, calls and in Jeep communication.

View attachment 420419

I've got a few potential road trips with friends planned this summer that we'll probably end up taking my Jeep on, and I almost want these just for entertainment. But at the same time, I don't even want to think about the conversations that would happen over those after a few Monsters and a few too many hours in the car.

My TJ is used only as a summer toy. It came with the full doors and a Bestop soft top. I bought and restored a pair of half doors and added Bestop sliders last year. The slider locating pins had to be bent quite a bit to (nearly) eliminate wind noise but now, unless it's a really windy day, they fit well. The curtains and sliders come off from late May to September. If I were going on a road trip, I'd dust off my '92 Buick Park Avenue.

Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate your direct experience with all of the various configurations. I assumed full doors would be the way to go, but it's good to verify before spending the money and doing the work to paint them.

This just reinforces that I seriously need to consider if my TJ is the right vehicle for me as part of a bigger picture needs assessment. I have soft top, half doors, and no AC. My desired use for the Jeep is to explore remote areas of the mountain west as much as possible, and due to circumstances beyond my control that means a lot of quick 36 - 48 hour trips, with occasional 4 or 5 day excursions squeezed in here and there. That schedule necessitates lots of interstate miles between regional locales and I want to be able to do these trips in relative comfort. While a TJ is my preferred platform, I have to decide whether I should keep spending on my existing TJ to increase comfort, buy a different TJ that has some additional features, or <gasp> consider whether I would be better served by a JK or JL. The TJ is definitely my preferred platform by far, but I don't know that it's the best answer given all the above. I do have a T4R that I could use, but the TJ is truly astounding in its off road capabilities, and I'd prefer not to use my daily driver for these trips.

You aren't really comparing the cost of hard doors to a jk or jl are you?🤔

If you need to save a couple hours travel time by going on the freeway the cheapest by far is hard doors,hard top,and carpet.

Hard top makes a huge difference.

Reactions: deadbeat son
You aren't really comparing the cost of hard doors to a jk or jl are you?🤔

If you need to save a couple hours travel time by going on the freeway the cheapest by far is hard doors,hard top,and carpet.

Hard top makes a huge difference.

No, I'm not comparing the costs of the hard doors to a JK or JL. If I get hard doors and a hard top for my current TJ, I still won't have AC so I'll still have to roll down the windows negating the entire reason for getting the hard doors and top.

At some point, I have to consider that maybe I bought the wrong TJ and move on. If that's the decision, I can get a TJ with full doors, hard, top, and AC, or perhaps the JK or JL would be better suited simply to keep fatigue at bay. I really prefer the TJ to the newer Wranglers though.

I'm not making any decisions at this time, just thinking things through. I've told myself I'll give my current Jeep one more season before moving on. Although there is a 61k mile '06 Rubicon available locally that would solve these problems.

Reactions: Texas-TJ
or perhaps the JK or JL would be better
there you go again 🤣😜

I still won't have AC so I'll still have to roll down the windows
now we get to the real dilemma.it isn't about top or doors at all.if its warm enough to need windows down it doesn't matter what doors or top you have on long runs.

• Haha
Reactions: deadbeat son
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I found it while researching about Bulldawg uppers. I have a TJ (BDS lift with Ranchero shocks, hard top, full doors) and an LJ (Metalcloak 3.5 SA with 6-pack shocks, hard top, half doors with glass windows/canvas) and there's a big difference in the ride quality between the two. The LJ is much smoother for longer drives, but like the OP, the noise is a killer. That's what has me researching whether I'd be ok with Bulldawg half door uppers or if I should just bite the bullet and find some full doors. Thanks for all the good input in this thread.
20220528_114427.jpg