Road Trip After Re-Gear

Mudflat

TJ Enthusiast
So I had my crappy 3.07 gears replaced with 4.56 gears & while that was being done I went ahead & had chromoly axles, new front hubs & True Tracks installed. We had the opportunity to visit our son & his family who live north of Dallas. Since we are volunteering at a state park near Austin & the TJ is what we tow behind the motorhome, that’s what we used for the 450 mile round trip. Everything went great! The 4.56 gears are perfect with my 33” KO2s. I installed the proper 39 tooth speedometer gear & the speedometer/odometer are dead on according to the freeway mile markers. I like to drive the TJ at around 65 mph & that’s somewhere around 2750 rpm or so.
I know that none of us buy our Jeeps for gas mileage, but I checked mine & with 3 fill ups I averaged 15.7 mpg. This was with a horrific head wind on one day & bumper to bumper stop & go traffic for about an hour of the trip both going & coming. I’ll take that kind of mileage with a Jeep any day.
I just thought some of you might be interested.

So I had my crappy 3.07 gears replaced with 4.56 gears & while that was being done I went ahead & had chromoly axles, new front hubs & True Tracks installed. We had the opportunity to visit our son & his family who live north of Dallas. Since we are volunteering at a state park near Austin & the TJ is what we tow behind the motorhome, that’s what we used for the 450 mile round trip. Everything went great! The 4.56 gears are perfect with my 33” KO2s. I installed the proper 39 tooth speedometer gear & the speedometer/odometer are dead on according to the freeway mile markers. I like to drive the TJ at around 65 mph & that’s somewhere around 2750 rpm or so.
I know that none of us buy our Jeeps for gas mileage, but I checked mine & with 3 fill ups I averaged 15.7 mpg. This was with a horrific head wind on one day & bumper to bumper stop & go traffic for about an hour of the trip both going & coming. I’ll take that kind of mileage with a Jeep any day.
4 cyl or 6?

Going from 3.07 to 4.56 is a huge difference. 3.07 is literally the worst ratio ever installed in any TJ.

Glad you are enjoying the change.

Reactions: Mudflat
I went from 3.07 to 4.56 on 35s and I'm happy. Should I have gone 4.88s, maybe next time after I break something, I couldn't be happier so far. Glad your getting what you want out of your rig!

I've only been thru one tank of gas after going to 4.10 from 3.07 with my 32RH transmission. My mileage went from an average of 14.5 to 15.9.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
As I’ve said before, I just can’t understand why they would put 3.07 gears in any Jeep.

Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think that 3.07 works good with any of the possible factory engine, tire, and transmission combos. It's just a terrible ratio all around.

We are getting ready to do the same (sell and go rv)I bought the ready break,how do you tow?thanks-jeff
Use a Blue Ox tow bar system for sure. It all stays attached to the motorhome & nothing is hanging on the front of the Jeep. Also use a Hopkins towed vehicle brake light/tail light kit. This kit enables you to plug the Jeep into the 7 pin trailer light plug on the back of the motorhome without the need for crappy magnet lights or stringing wires. I haven’t used any kind of braking system yet. We’re actually on our first trip towing the TJ & we’re volunteering at a Texas state park for 2 months so we are only towing 300 miles each way. It actually did fine without a braking system, but I’m sure I will get one just to stay legal & safe, especially in the mountains. Please let me know what you find when researching brake systems & I‘LLC do the same for you. We’ll learn about this together.

I'd venture that the Rubi 4.10's are the worst. Too close to good to re-gear, too far from good not to. With 3.07's, you don't have a choice.
Yeah, this. It's sucks just bad enough that it's annoyingly underpowered up hills and stuff, but with the manual, it's not so bad that downshifting to third will fix it. It's on my list to do, but it's not a priority, just because it's maddeningly adequate... Just like the 4.0 and any other number of items on a TJ.

3.07 is literally the worst ratio ever installed in any TJ.
Agreed but blame the EPA. Car/Jeep manufacturers must submit average fleet CAFE mpg averages to the EPA and shipping some percentage with 3.07 and its theoretically possibly better mpg allows them to more easily meet the EPA's minimum average fleet mpg requirements.

Reactions: Chris