Rocker Panel Ideas

dmr22

TJ Enthusiast
After some peer pressure from Chris, I decided to swap out my paint matched fender flares for a set of black rubicon flares. In the process, I painted my Sahara rocker covers black as well. However, I’m not a huge fan of the look of the Sahara rocker panel. They are bulky and don’t offer any sort of function. There are quite a few rivet holes behind the panel. I have thought about filing the holes with bondo to create a flush surface. I have also thought about have a piece of steel cut to put in its place. I am not a fan of diamond plate so I don’t want to go that route.

The first picture is how it currently sits. In the second picture, you can more easily see the piece I am talking about.

Any suggestions?
f54d0480496585a0a2520d40322cba4d.jpg
cfbcea4b5c18c632279b8cce16f15730.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the top picture is awesome! Makes it look higher off the ground to me ...

Alternately I understand why your wanting the change looking at the white

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I think the top picture is awesome! Makes it look higher off the ground to me ...

Alternately I understand why your wanting the change looking at the white

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Yeah I am perfectly fine with that section being black. Just not a huge fan of the oem rocker piece. It’s just big, bulky, and has no function other than getting dirt on my pants that much easier.

Are you possibly wanting some functional rock sliders?

I just took my sahara running boards off because I thought they looked kind of cheep and did nothing. I just polished it off and put black screws in and it looks good. I am currently saving for rockers, but don't have the funds yet.
IMG_0599 3.jpg

Reactions: dmr22
After some peer pressure from Chris, I decided to swap out my paint matched fender flares for a set of black rubicon flares. In the process, I painted my Sahara rocker covers black as well. However, I’m not a huge fan of the look of the Sahara rocker panel. They are bulky and don’t offer any sort of function. There are quite a few rivet holes behind the panel. I have thought about filing the holes with bondo to create a flush surface. I have also thought about have a piece of steel cut to put in its place. I am not a fan of diamond plate so I don’t want to go that route.

The first picture is how it currently sits. In the second picture, you can more easily see the piece I am talking about.

Any suggestions?View attachment 35950View attachment 35951

That's @Chris. Mr. Peer Pressure.

Reactions: dmr22 and JMT
Rock sliders would definitely be at the top of my list but where I live, I don't have the opportunity to use them and they are fairly expensive to just be an unnecessary accessory.

Rock sliders would definitely be at the top of my list but where I live, I don't have the opportunity to use them and they are fairly expensive to just be an unnecessary accessory.
I'm with you. I don't have a Sahara, but my driver side rockers have some nice scratches gouges and a pretty good dent. I want something to cover that up that comes up pretty close to the bottom of the door...that is NOT diamond plating...and that looks decent. Rock sliders, while certain styles would serve the purpose, seem unnecessarily expensive as my Jeep isn't and won't be a rock crawler... Or, I guess I could save pennies and get the entire tub painted/body worked. It probably could use it...

@dmr22 - I assume your paint is in good condition other than the holes left by the Sahara rockers...

I think you could fabricate some that duplicate the oem Rubicon rock rails without too much trouble to cover that area up, either out of aluminum or steel. They are basically an L shape, with the brackets underneath bolting to what looks like the torque box, and the outer vertical portion bolting to the body. You could attach it where the current plastic cover mounts. They do sell the Rubicon rails, but they are very expensive for what you get, and they may not go up high enough on the body to cover the area you now have covered.

Reactions: JMT
I think you could fabricate some that duplicate the oem Rubicon rock rails without too much trouble to cover that area up, either out of aluminum or steel. ...

AtoZ makes a nice diamond plate slider with a full wheel well to wheel well length and steps. I go back and forth between those to maintain the Rubicon look and Savvy.

Reactions: dmr22
I know, I know, move to a place where you could use rock sliders, then get them. That's the best solution to your dilemma. ;)

No really, I'm with @glwood, you could fab some up quite easily with a strip of aluminum or steel. You might use some welting underneath to keep moisture from seeping between the aluminum or steel and the tub. I can't imagine that being more than $100

I think you could fabricate some that duplicate the oem Rubicon rock rails without too much trouble to cover that area up, either out of aluminum or steel. They are basically an L shape, with the brackets underneath bolting to what looks like the torque box, and the outer vertical portion bolting to the body. You could attach it where the current plastic cover mounts. They do sell the Rubicon rails, but they are very expensive for what you get, and they may not go up high enough on the body to cover the area you now have covered.

Yeah, I have seriously considered going this route.

I know, I know, move to a place where you could use rock sliders, then get them. That's the best solution to your dilemma. ;)

No really, I'm with @glwood, you could fab some up quite easily with a strip of aluminum or steel. You might use some welting underneath to keep moisture from seeping between the aluminum or steel and the tub. I can't imagine that being more than $100

You have no idea how often I try to convince why wife we need to move. So far, it has not worked. I will keep trying though.

Reactions: JMT