Rockford Fosgate PS-8 Install

Ok, I reviewed the owners manual and it stimulated my memory. At first I also used the Audio sense selection. When the signal (music) came on, it took a second or two for the sub to detect it and activate. Since this was a little annoying and the preferred method was to get the signal directly through a 12v source, I hooked up the remote wire.

It will work through the Audio setting though. I hope this helps some. It will sound awesome as @MexiJeeper and others say!
Sounds good. Thank you for the information, as always this site continues to be a wealth of knowledge for newbies like myself! I think I'll try the audio sense selection to start with... If it gets annoying I'll switch to the remote! Can't wait to get it and install it this weekend... Just looking for a bit of substance in the lower range!

Sounds good. Thank you for the information, as always this site continues to be a wealth of knowledge for newbies like myself! I think I'll try the audio sense selection to start with... If it gets annoying I'll switch to the remote! Can't wait to get it and install it this weekend... Just looking for a bit of substance in the lower range!
You won’t be disappointed! I’m on a trip right now and one of the things I have rigged up is the ability to remove it in seconds, for theft security. On a few early morning trips to the store I didn’t put it back in. It’s a totally different system without it. Post up some pics and report back when you get it installed. I’m sure you know to run the power and pre amps away from each other so there is no interference.:)

You won’t be disappointed! I’m on a trip right now and one of the things I have rigged up is the ability to remove it in seconds, for theft security. On a few early morning trips to the store I didn’t put it back in. It’s a totally different system without it. Post up some pics and report back when you get it installed. I’m sure you know to run the power and pre amps away from each other so there is no interference.:)
Absolutley will! Probably won't mount it yet, just make sure it's secured under the rear seat. That seat comes in and out a fair amount, or has, last summer.. So, we'll see if I find a true home.
In my readings, I have found this to be a must!! Thank you though!!

Well I finally completed some of the detail work after my sub amp install.

1/4" plywood frame around the amp with some Velcro on the back to hold the cloth in place.

I also installed the remote behind the dash between the steering wheel and the radio bezel. I pried of the curved face and mounted the flat face of the case behind the dash panel. I lost the original knob so I used an old AC knob I painted black. Now the remote is out of sight but convenient to use.

upload_2018-3-28_16-51-12.png

upload_2018-3-28_16-45-54.png

upload_2018-3-28_16-46-41.png

Well I finally completed some of the detail work after my sub amp install.

1/4" plywood frame around the amp with some Velcro on the back to hold the cloth in place.

I also installed the remote behind the dash between the steering wheel and the radio bezel. I pried of the curved face and mounted the flat face of the case behind the dash panel. I lost the original knob so I used an old AC knob I painted black. Now the remote is out of sight but convenient to use.

View attachment 37201

View attachment 37199
Is that just attached to the bottom of your seat without cutting or removing the bottom?

Like the knob modification too!!

Is that just attached to the bottom of your seat without cutting or removing the bottom?

Like the knob modification too!!

The amp is attached to the bottom of the seat as previously described by another member. I did cut the cloth on the seat bottom.

Reactions: JMT and Cole
I like the specs on the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. However, I would prefer to replacing the OEM subwoofer/amp and install PS-8 in the center console. The PS-8 is approximately 14.4"Wx3.3"Hx9.4"D. It appears that other forum members have had success installing the Ordnance B-8PTD which is 13.625"Wx3.125"Hx9.125"D. Has anyone had success installing the PS-8 in the Center Console and would anyone know if the Tuffy Center Console Series II would add any additional space to help fit the PS-8 Thanks.

I like the specs on the Rockford Fosgate PS-8. However, I would prefer to replacing the OEM subwoofer/amp and install PS-8 in the center console. The PS-8 is approximately 14.4"Wx3.3"Hx9.4"D. It appears that other forum members have had success installing the Ordnance B-8PTD which is 13.625"Wx3.125"Hx9.125"D. Has anyone had success installing the PS-8 in the Center Console and would anyone know if the Tuffy Center Console Series II would add any additional space to help fit the PS-8 Thanks.
After 3 years on the topic, I still can’t figure out why a sub in the console is so relished. It does nothing but take up useable space. Must be nostalgia. I put mine under the rear seat and never looked back.

Reactions: Zorba
The internal console space is available and I prefer not to have additional wires, especially a 30A circuit, when the seat is upright. Although a separate amp and 10" subwoofer in the back cargo area would be the best design/placement in a TJ, I need that space for recovery equipment and tools.

Last edited:
After 3 years on the topic, I still can’t figure out why a sub in the console is so relished. It does nothing but take up usable space. Must be nostalgia. I put mine under the rear seat and never looked back.
While I agree, I do have to ask: What happens when you remove or even flip forward the rear seat?

While I agree, I do have to ask: What happens when you remove or even flip forward the rear seat?
It just hangs out on the bottom of the seat. If I want to remove it I unplug the three wires in 10 seconds and take the seat out.

Reactions: Zorba
I know the OP already found a solution (and it looks great, by the way), but in case any other PS-8 owners come to this thread, I thought I'd mention that I was able to mount mine below the driver's seat. I think this is because my Jeep does not have the fold-and-tumble feature for the driver's seat, which seems to reduce space underneath. (My passenger seat does have that feature, and there was no way the PS-8 was going to fit under there.)

It was tight, and required some finagling, but it's down there now and is completely out of sight. It does prevent me from sliding the seat forward without first sliding the sub out of the way, but then again I never have reason to slide the driver's seat, and if I did it would just take 10 seconds to unplug the sub and slide it out of the way.

I know the OP already found a solution (and it looks great, by the way), but in case any other PS-8 owners come to this thread, I thought I'd mention that I was able to mount mine below the driver's seat. I think this is because my Jeep does not have the fold-and-tumble feature for the driver's seat, which seems to reduce space underneath. (My passenger seat does have that feature, and there was no way the PS-8 was going to fit under there.)

It was tight, and required some finagling, but it's down there now and is completely out of sight. It does prevent me from sliding the seat forward without first sliding the sub out of the way, but then again I never have reason to slide the driver's seat, and if I did it would just take 10 seconds to unplug the sub and slide it out of the way.
Any pictures of the under driver’s seat installation?

I see this never really got answered, and I wonder if you had any luck? If whoever did this with the Sound Ordnance shared some pics, I bet you'd be able to tell whether this would work. But, you've probably moved forward in one direction or another by now.

Sure, I will try to remember to post some.

I admit it was not as professional a job as what the OP and others like JMT did with theirs. I just removed the two snap-buttons under the front of the driver's seat, where the carpet snaps into place, and that provided the fraction of an inch needed to shove the unit under the seat, and it fit snugly. Then I let the little flap of carpet, which can no longer snap into place, lie on top of the unit, which hides it a bit. As mentioned above, it does prevent me from sliding the seat forward without first sliding the sub out of the way to access the slider-lever, but then again I never have reason to slide the driver's seat, and if I did it would just take 10 seconds to unplug the sub and slide it out of the way.

@SSTJ I wish I had some photos to show but don’t believe I took any. It’s been quite a while since the install. I can say that the SoundOrdnance fits snugly.

When this unit craps out, I’ll probably take a chance with a different brand. But as of yet, I can’t complain about it. And Crutchfield has been ‘the best’ too.

@Heinrids , I'm sorry it took me so long to remember this. You've probably moved on, but here are the pics.

In the first pic, the carpet looks goofy. But you can't see it from anywhere else in the Jeep, so it's fine.

In the second pic, what you can't see is that I removed the two snap-screws from the tub, where the carpet snaps into place. That gave me the fraction of an inch needed to slide it into place.

In the third pic, what you can't see is that the top edges of the PS-8 are scratched up from getting wedged in there. I don't mind that, but just FYI that it's not exactly a professional job. Still, it fits like it was meant to be, and I'm happy. I get no vibrations or rattling.

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

Reactions: JMT
@Heinrids , I'm sorry it took me so long to remember this. You've probably moved on, but here are the pics.

In the first pic, the carpet looks goofy. But you can't see it from anywhere else in the Jeep, so it's fine.

In the second pic, what you can't see is that I removed the two snap-screws from the tub, where the carpet snaps into place. That gave me the fraction of an inch needed to slide it into place.

In the third pic, what you can't see is that the top edges of the PS-8 are scratched up from getting wedged in there. I don't mind that, but just FYI that it's not exactly a professional job. Still, it fits like it was meant to be, and I'm happy. I get no vibrations or rattling.

View attachment 231176

View attachment 231177

View attachment 231178

So I gotta ask, does your Jeep not leak? I think if I did this the subamp would get wet even with the hard top on. But it snows a lot where I am. Or is this sub water resistant?

Hello.

No, I don't get much water in the Jeep. But even if I did, this area is relatively "high elevation" for the floor. The water would seep down to the front floorboard (under the pedals) or else to the rear (behind the seats).

Hello.

No, I don't get much water in the Jeep. But even if I did, this area is relatively "high elevation" for the floor. The water would seep down to the front floorboard (under the pedals) or else to the rear (behind the seats).
Thanks! Can't wait to get one of these installed.