RockJock 4" Lift Springs Only Have 3.5" Of Up Travel?

BradyW

Supporting Member
As part of my Savvy Mid Arm install, I purchased RockJock 4" lift springs and bump stops to replace the tired lift components that were previously installed. I noticed the RockJock springs were notably longer than my previous springs but softer in my hand flexing.

After installing these springs, I was shocked and disappointed at how low my Jeep was sitting. They measure right at the 15.75" loaded length as specified on the website. There is about 1/4" of shock shaft showing when the bump stops make first contact, so that puts my usable up travel at ~3.5". The springs are brand new, so I'm assuming they will settle over the next few weeks and then I'll be sitting even lower.

I'm planning on "out boarding" 11" fox 2.0 shocks up front soon. Will I need to purchase different springs to achieve 5-6" of up travel?

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9132F

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

X2, what does your TJ weigh? Do you have a lot of heavy steel aftermarket parts installed or is it carrying extra weight? My RockJock/Currie springs definitely gave me at least 4".

My LJ with the same springs sits dead nuts on at 16", but with their soft rate (like 70lbs/in IIRC) it would only take a other 35lbs to come down to where you are. I have a winch and a warn stubby bumper.

The problem isn't the springs though, this is just reality when you put an 11" shock in stock mounts. I assume that is a rancho rs55255? When you redo your mounts for the fox you'll put them where they're at half stroke at ride height and you'll have your 5.5".

... about 1/4" of shock shaft showing when the bump stops make first contact ...

First contact isn't the best place to measure. Most jounce pads can compress a LOT. This is a static test, and a real bump on the road can easily squeeze tighter:
Jounce_01.jpg

Jounce_02.jpg

It's better to measure to the metal-to-metal contact point without the jounce pad (which slows down the axle but doesn't stop it). Otherwise your shocks can take a beating.

Reactions: BradyW
Ignore your current shocks

Remember that the rock jock bump stops compress .75”

Establish ride height and bump stop spacing based on how far in you can cycle the suspension and how much uptravel you want. This may mean that you have to add some thin spacers above your springs. You may also find that you can remove some of the aluminum spacers supplied with your rock jock bump stop kit.

Ignore your current shocks

Remember that the rock jock bump stops compress .75”

Establish ride height and bump stop spacing based on how far in you can cycle the suspension and how much uptravel you want. This may mean that you have to add some thin spacers above your springs. You may also find that you can remove some of the aluminum spacers supplied with your rock jock bump stop kit.

Great information, thanks! I’d didn’t know they compress that much. That will be handy when setting up the outboard.

Reactions: HornedToad