Rod knock or valve train?

I have noise in my jeep that i cannot ididentify for the life of me heres a video of it what do yall think? (Apologies for the wind noise) this was taken when the engine was warm after an 18 mile drive from work the second one was on first start up when cold

View attachment 148205

View attachment 148203
I think I have the same noise!? Here it is , U tell me if you think its the same.

2 years and I still don't know what it is. 2001 4.0 manual.

How sheet that sounds just like mine does it get quieter as the engine warms?
Yes quieter but not gone completely.. very cold winter mornings are worse at start up.

Sea foam in oil and sprayed down the throttle helped initially but came back.

Was gonna take off the valve cover to see what I can see.. maybe a rocker that is off the rod or something? I dunno.

My oil pressure is fine and runs great... I just hate this noise.

185k miles

Reactions: Bill M.
Not true....
I completely disintegrated a bearing in my Honda and the only way to keep it together long enough to get her home was to keep it under load to reduce the knocking.
Hey who would of guessed the cure for rod knock is run it like you stole it.

• Haha
Reactions: U8MYDZT
Yes quieter but not gone completely.. very cold winter mornings are worse at start up.

Was gonna take off the valve cover to see what I can see.. maybe a rocker that is off the rod or something? I dunno.

185k miles
Thats the same thing as me id say pull off the valve cover too have a looksee ima gonna do the same ill report back to you if i find anything that may help

185k miles
If the noise louder along the cam gallery, is worst when it is cold and spraying Sea Foam down the throttle help that could indicate piston slap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noise in my jeep that i cannot ididentify for the life of me heres a video of it what do yall think? (Apologies for the wind noise) this was taken when the engine was warm after an 18 mile drive from work the second one was on first start up when cold

View attachment 148205

View attachment 148203
So did you get the valve cover off yet?

Weather just getting nicer here.. I should have done it while in quarantine but it was cold and raining.

Now that weather is warmer mine is quieter.

So did you get the valve cover off yet?

Weather just getting nicer here.. I should have done it while in quarantine but it was cold and raining.

Now that weather is warmer mine is quieter.
Not yet im kinda in the same boat as you it wont stop snowing and raining long enough for me to work on the damn thing i also still have work because im an "essential employee"

Not yet im kinda in the same boat as you it wont stop snowing and raining long enough for me to work on the damn thing i also still have work because im an "essential employee"
Ha,. I am too.. but was in quarantine before I could go back, in the snow and rain too..
Be glad we have jobs... It's gonna get bad for alot of folks.

Ha,. I am too.. but was in quarantine before I could go back, in the snow and rain too..
Be glad we have jobs... It's gonna get bad for alot of folks.
Yeah i am extremely thankful i just wish people would stop bringing their cars to our shop for trivial issues like a leaking sun roof or "weird noise" when they turn on the ac

I actually have a mechanics stethoscope when listening its loudest on the camshaft position sensor and bell housing for some reason
Like mentioned in an earlier post... if you hear it near the bell housing I would deff think flex plate bolts. I had a 32 RH rebuild and the bolts that came with the rebuild kit were just slightly larger. Made a racket similar to yours. Put original bolts back and all A OK!!