ROH / AEV Wheel Refinishing?

Aaron Paul

Found a cool set of older ROH wheels. Looks like they were used on some early builds for them. I have a White 98 TJ and would like to get them refinished. One has a little curb rash and they all have some clear issues on the lip. Anyone have any luck with wheel refinishers bringing them back to life or should I just get them powder coated?

If so, thoughts on color?

thumbnail1.jpg

thumbnail2.jpg

thumbnail3.png

Reactions: Starrs
Appreciate the link. I want to try and keep the machined lip if possible and not paint it. Just have it recleared. The painted part of my wheels is pretty good. I like stuff original:)

If I power coat them, they are not coming back to original..

Was thinking a white or maybe bronze in powder coat.

Something different if I go that route!
Oh I see what you’re saying now. Most wheel shops should have a “wheel lathe“ to machine the top layer of metal down to give it that new machined look. Yours are one solid surface without any difficult patterns or ruts so it would be really easy to do. They usually hit them with something similar to clear afterwards to keep them from oxidizing. I need to have mine redone too.

Don't powder coat AEV wheels. The heat from the oven that bakes the powder will change the temper of the aluminum. AEV has commented on this plenty of times in their own forum.

If you want to keep the machined surfaces, you can have them re-machined, or try to do it yourself with a die grinder, sand paper polish compound and a lot of patience. Lots of YouTube videos out there on how to polish rims.

Those are nice wheels. They look sharp. Are they TJ bolt pattern or JK?

I had a set of Jeep Turbine wheels for my MJ refinished last week. The shop blasted them, painted them silver, machined the originally polished surfaces in a lathe and powder coated them with clear. The cost was $125 CDN ($95 US) per wheel and I was very happy with the results.

20-09-27 8.JPG
20-10-23 8.JPG

Last edited: