ROI with highline fenders?

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, assume this is the setup for both cases:

4” Lift, 1.25” Body Lift, 35’s and shocks designed to allow for the maximum travel with each fender setup below

Regular or Tube Fenders should maintain the factory 3.5-4” up travel

Under the assumption HL fender will give an additional 2-3” of up travel, is that what one would a good return on investment for all the modifications and work required to install. Would you consider it usable flex or is the 4” from factory enough for 99% of the type of wheeling out there? Am I overlooking something? Buy once, cry once and what to make sure the work I do is worth it. Genright Alum fronts are the same $ for regular and HL style. As much as I’ve grown to love this jeep, I don’t think I’d plan to go beyond 35s anymore because I enjoy driving it too and would rather build something else for 40s on down the line.

Reactions: Chris
My setup has about 6" of up. I consider it valuable enough that I don't want to move to 35s until I can come to terms with what to do to the front fenders. I don't know what percentile my wheeling consists of, but I appreciate the ability to go faster with more comfort over rough terrain, which includes city streets.

Making the most use of the added clearance from highlines will require moving shock mounts and reducing the bump stop. The reasonable maximum limit for a TJ on stock axles is about 11" of shock travel divided roughly in half.

Lots of travel with good shocks will transform a Jeep.

Last edited:
Under the assumption HL fender will give an additional 2-3” of up travel, is that what one would a good return on investment for all the modifications and work required to install.
There is a great thread on several HighLine options on this forum. Maybe Chris can post the link.

The more up travel you give the tire without interference from the body just means you can move the shock mount higher - therefore allowing for a longer shock to be put in. Highlines make a lot of sense if running a 35” tires - not really if running smaller (assuming a 4” lift). I’d say go for it given you can increase the travel bias with allowing for a longer shock and smaller bumpstops.