Roll up side windows without removing

Zman

5D462A33-6D49-45B2-818C-23D075E842D3.jpeg
BB88B497-66E5-45B7-A50F-35709549C55B.jpeg
2AA9D62E-1BFD-4A20-863C-EAED5FEB8D38.jpeg
6FCAB48A-E009-4A0C-B62F-7F38A04A9691.jpeg
BB88B497-66E5-45B7-A50F-35709549C55B.jpeg
Hey all,

I created a modification that makes it easy to roll up my soft top side windows without having to remove and store them. I am looking to see if there is enough interest that would have me putting together an affordable diy kit.

It works really well and I have used it at highway speeds with no problems.

If there is a fair amount of interest I will post more of the particulars. The vinyl holding strap will not scratch the windows and clips up out of the way when not in use.

Thanks,

Zman

P.s. my newest jeep add on is the trailer on the back.

Reactions: Stox5225
Yeah, I’m interested!! I never drop my top. In NC when the sun is beating on you, and the heat from the floor boards .... it feels 10 degrees hotter lol. I keep the top on for shade, remove the doors, and windows ..... uh oh! Here comes a thunder storm!!! Now I have to scramble to get the damn zippers to catch ..... yeah, this would be a hell of a lot easier for me hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that vinyl strap is going to rub on the vinyl window surface and leave a big rub mark on your windows. Especially if they're not dust and dirt-free. Vinyl windows are so soft that you can't get aways with anything like that without it leaving a big vertical mark that will eventually get so bad that it will turn opaque.

Last edited:
What if the strap was lined with felt?
No difference, especially since felt will pick up dirt and dust to make it even more abrasive. Vinyl is a soft product and it doesn't take much to scratch them. You can't even use paper towels on them without them eventually getting so scratched up they'll yellow and turn opaque.

Keep in mind that vinyl strap is going to rub on the vinyl surface and leave a big rub mark on your windows. Especially if they're not dust and dirt-free. Vinyl windows are so soft that you can't get aways with anything like that without it leaving a big vertical mark that will eventually get so bad that it will turn opaque.
Jerry, the vinyl will scratch from dirt, dust etc. but if you just make sure it’s clean before using, I would say there will be less scratching than folding up and storing in the back of your Jeep. There should be very little “vinyl on vinyl crime” as the rolled up window does not move much once installed and the vinyl strap is just as soft as the windows. But good observation that should be takin into account. My tinted windows are already scratched enough that I prob wouldn’t notice anything new. Looks like a few short term/long term pics will need to be done. It really is super convenient.

Jerry, the vinyl will scratch from dirt, dust etc. but if you just make sure it’s clean before using, I would say there will be less scratching than folding up and storing in the back of your Jeep. There should be very little “vinyl on vinyl crime” as the rolled up window does not move much once installed and the vinyl strap is just as soft as the windows. But good observation that should be takin into account. My tinted windows are already scratched enough that I prob wouldn’t notice anything new. Looks like a few short term/long term pics will need to be done. It really is super convenient.
I have been using vinyl windows since the 70's and they have scratched just by having been rolled up against each other. I learned many years ago to not roll up vinyl windows in any environment that can have dust/dirt in the air as is common while driving around... especially while offroad.

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I’ve been, and the world has been using this type of roll up apparatus on vinyl windows for a very long time. The vinyl strap will not scratch unless there is dirt or grime...... I will keep checking for evidence otherwise.
I have been using vinyl windows since the 70's and they have scratched just by having been rolled up against each other. I learned many years ago to not roll up vinyl windows in any environment that can have dust/dirt in the air as is common while driving around... especially while offroad.
thats fine, I’m using them and have not had an issue....... don’t go to your local marina, you might not know how they are all able to do it.

I’ve been, and the world has been using this type of roll up apparatus on vinyl windows for a very long time. The vinyl strap will not scratch unless there is dirt or grime...... I will keep checking for evidence otherwise.

thats fine, I’m using them and have not had an issue....... don’t go to your local marina, you might not know how they are all able to do it.

Are you suggesting that cleanliness is the secret? I've been rolling my rear window for the last several years. Scratching and hazing is unavoidable on a Jeep used anywhere dust exists.

Last edited:

Ok doc but you absolutely cannot keep dirt/dust/grime out of them while driving around, especially when you're offroad. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Of course not,,,, That goes without saying...

I’ve created this mod to allow my windows to roll up easily without having to take them off. I am mostly on the paved roads. Off-road is a whole different bag of added dirt. For those who would otherwise take the windows off and store them in the back or leave them at home, this is a real convenience. And keeping the windows clean when removing/storing is something everyone should be doing. Obviously everything is a compromise. If you were worried about scratching you paint, you wouldn’t go off-roading. I’ve installed this mod on my Jeep, it works great,,,,,,,

Reactions: Stox5225
Of course not,,,, That goes without saying...

I’ve created this mod to allow my windows to roll up easily without having to take them off. I am mostly on the paved roads. Off-road is a whole different bag of added dirt. For those who would otherwise take the windows off and store them in the back or leave them at home, this is a real convenience. And keeping the windows clean when removing/storing is something everyone should be doing. Obviously everything is a compromise. If you were worried about scratching you paint, you wouldn’t go off-roading. I’ve installed this mod on my Jeep, it works great,,,,,,,
He’s def not worried about scratching his paint lol. Cool invention and I’m sure there is a market for something like this. Not everybody likes to take their top down @CybrSlydr. Maybe you could reach out to some folks and let them try this and they can give you real world reviews/feedback on the forum regarding your vinyl strap?

Reactions: CybrSlydr
How long have you been rolling your side windows?
I’ve been using it for over a month now, it’s nice to be able to drop the windows quickly when rain shows up.

I’ll get a few out there to those interested.

Are you suggesting that cleanliness is the secret? I've been rolling my rear window for the last several years. Scratching and hazing is unavoidable on a Jeep used anywhere dust exists.
The back window roll up keeps it loose and exposed a bit, I’ve been rolling mine halfway then tucking it up above the roll cage. My side windows are rolled tight and barely move. I have not seen accumulated anything as I roll them down at night.

The back window roll up keeps it loose and exposed a bit, I’ve been rolling mine halfway then tucking it up above the roll cage. My side windows are rolled tight and barely move. I have not seen accumulated anything as I roll them down at night.
But dust is not prevalent in the northeast...

Two things that come to mind.

You are correct that a tight roll is important. The constant moving and shifting will create hazing. Eliminating that movement is easier said than done. But a tight roll will haze more slowly than a loose floppy roll.

Dust will get everywhere. It's in the air. Rain forms from dust. The rain we get in West is full of dust. After a rain storm, our cars can often be covered in dust after the water dries. I've even seen what is best described as mud rain.

My rolled rear window absolutely catches dust. The only way to prevent that is to cover the roll or remove it from the environment. Dust will get under the strap. Look at what happens to car bras.

I don't use the elastic straps that come with the soft top. I made my own, more secure version years ago. My rear window is rolled tight and lives inside the main canopy from late Spring to early Fall. I accept that the window will haze over. Every so often I will polish it and start the cycle over again.

A month of occasional use is not enough time to know what is going to happen. The wear is accumulative. Report back in a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I certainly appreciate everyone’s opinion!

I can only give my experience of the mod from use in the northeast. I made this for my use where it would be utilized on the local roads. You do not unzip the top of the window allowing for quick zip down when needed.

If you are interested, you must take into consideration the environment where you would use this feature.

Off-road , probably not...

Dusty , maybe not,,,,,,

I have not seen any jeeps other than brand spankin new with unscratched soft windows from removal and storage. Actually, since doing this mod I’ve been looking closely at Jeep soft top windows, and by far, the real badly scratched ones are mostly on the newer models.

I’ll eventually put together a few kits...

If you are in interested in more info, let me know!

I certainly appreciate everyone’s opinion!

I can only give my experience of the mod from use in the northeast. I made this for my use where it would be utilized on the local roads. You do not unzip the top of the window allowing for quick zip down when needed.

If you are interested, you must take into consideration the environment where you would use this feature.

Off-road , probably not...

Dusty , maybe not,,,,,,

I have not seen any jeeps other than brand spankin new with unscratched soft windows from removal and storage. Actually, since doing this mod I’ve been looking closely at Jeep soft top windows, and by far, the real badly scratched ones are mostly on the newer models.

I’ll eventually put together a few kits...

If you are in interested in more info, let me know!
This is made for the guy or gal going for a drive but wants to have the windows out right? Not made to keep them rolled up for months at a time. Go out for a drive andxwjen you get back home unroll them again. Do I have this correct? Best top provides elastic straps with their soft tops...they give these to you...his straps appear to better suited for this type of idea. I’m not getting all this push back. Just let the guy try and help a few ppl if they want it lol

Reactions: greenliftedtj97